Preview Geelong v West Coast Sunday Apr 28 @ GMHBA

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say it suggests that neither Hawkins or Stanley are in doubt:
- if Hawkins missed last week, the club may have deemed Stanley the best prospect at FF, and Smith is seen as next cab off the rank for the #1 ruck spot
- if Stanley missed, then as per above with Smith next cab off the rank to play the #1 ruck spot.

If the tall in doubt this week is Sav, it appears the club is looking at Fort or Abbott to slot into that role - second tall forward & ruck relief, and that's not really a role suited to Smith.

So not sure how Smith exactly has been screwed if the potential available role isn't one he's really suited too
You're raising Stanley to ff as an option but why not chf to cover Sav? Smith plays his natural tap role

I still prefer sav too!! Just think he’ll be given a rest considering we’ve named both fort and Abbott. Who knows maybe Stanley or hawk is under an injury cloud that we don’t know about...
Stanley is fine. Abbott there mainly if something unforeseen happens to him between now and game time. Sav is sore and will have a test day before or morning of game.

You're raising Stanley to ff as an option but why not chf to cover Sav? Smith plays his natural tap role

Ideally, I'd rather keep Stanley in the #1 role and he has earned that right with his performances over the past year.

In terms of moving him to CHF, it really hasn't worked in the past when we have tried that with Smith playing #1 ruck & Stanley as support & second tall forward. That may suit Smith, but we didn't necessarily get enough from Stanley in that role until he found himself in the ruck.

Lol. Let's move a guy in the form of his life and goes poorly if anything but #1 ruck to accommodate a sook like Smith? Geez people come up with some s**t here pre game.

Smith not named on extended bench so unfortunately not. I would have thought it would be an opportunity for him to show he can still be 1st ruck while Stanley plays the Sav role. Stanley's kicking really has improved

Yeah I saw Abbott was best on ground so rewarded for his efforts I suppose. He was quite good end of last year. Darcy Fort must have impressed as well. It looks like Sav could be in some doubt. Considering Stanley, Sav in currently. Adding two ruckmen is interesting for a squad

Lol. Let's move a guy in the form of his life and goes poorly if anything but #1 ruck to accommodate a sook like Smith? Geez people come up with some s**t here pre game.

Stanley has won the mantle for best of the rest. It's his job to lose he is 29 he can pinch some minutes as a key forward but it really doesn't suit his game. I much prefer if sav were to miss just play Abbott lower game time with Stanley just keeping his role and Abbott just pinching minutes forward. Rotate Dangerfield, Rohan, Ablett out of goal square when Hawkins float up the ground.

Against west coast of all sides you can't bomb the ball in anyway even at home. They are too good McGovern, Shepperd, Hurn will just end up having a field day. Smart ball movement is the key to beating west coast

Take a guess.
Seems obvious to me that it’s the first list
Who knows if Savrat plays this week. I suspect not, which means both lines will be correct if they go with "the strength".
But Abbott has even more creds than Fort.

Last edited:
Bit hard to beat us in Geelong when they don't play us in Geelong.

They've made the trip twice in 9 years.

Sums up the fairness of the fixture.

I remember we played them in ‘16 at home then what we’ve just played them in Perth? Bloody hell this is ridiculous. Surely it’s just switched each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith was very promising in his early years at GC, but hasn't really taken any of his chances at the Cats. I don't trust him when the ball hits the deck, in marking contests, or in front of goal.

Fair points but Smith was very good first year at Cats especially at marking in transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I kind of feel like they will hold a different ruckman over each week because playing all 3 in the VFL isn't functional

Correct. Also if Esava is in doubt Abbott and Fort are better fwd replacements whereas Smith is a ruck to play only if Stanley is out.

I expect Abbott Fort Parsons and Zuthrie to be the emgs.

Should I worry about our depth? Zuthrie & Parsons still around. Hmmm. Eagles & bombers massive! Win both top 4, 1-1, top 8, 0-2 pretenders again.
Only if you don't think they can improve and develop.
I believe BOTH can.
Playing Parsons at centre bounces in the VFL is a statement of sorts. A tick of approval for me.
Playing him as a small forward the past 2 seasons was a statement that all our real small forwards were awol.

Only if you don't think they can improve and develop.
I believe BOTH can.
Playing Parsons at centre bounces in the VFL is a statement of sorts. A tick of approval for me.
Playing him as a small forward the past 2 seasons was a statement that all our real small forwards were awol.
Initially some of the Parsons criticism was over the top, but eventually he really did lose all confidence and composure. Not a lost cause yet though. I stil lfeel as though for his development more time in the ressies, played in position, is best for him at the moment. Even if it means the majority of the season on the periphery as far as seniors football.

I think eventually he can be an alright wing man or half back at AFL level. He showed early signs before the whole small forward saga.

Should I worry about our depth? Zuthrie & Parsons still around. Hmmm. Eagles & bombers massive! Win both top 4, 1-1, top 8, 0-2 pretenders again.

Zuthrie has reportedly been one of our best to start the season, named in the bests in 2 of our 3 first matches (season only not counting pre-season). It's due to both Clark & O'Connor have strong starts to the year in the AFL & Tuohy returning from injury, that we haven't seen Zac get an opportunity yet - but he's waiting in the wings should there be a drop in form by those seniors.

Parsons apparently also going well and playing more through the midfield.

I know both have been much maligned players in past years, but surely seeing improvement from those on our list, pushing their case each week and pressuring those in the seniors is actually a good thing - regardless of their names.

Zuthrie has reportedly been one of our best to start the season, named in the bests in 2 of our 3 first matches (season only not counting pre-season). It's due to both Clark & O'Connor have strong starts to the year in the AFL & Tuohy returning from injury, that we haven't seen Zac get an opportunity yet - but he's waiting in the wings should there be a drop in form by those seniors.

Parsons apparently also going well and playing more through the midfield.

I know both have been much maligned players in past years, but surely seeing improvement from those on our list, pushing their case each week and pressuring those in the seniors is actually a good thing - regardless of their names.
Agree with that, and I will have to include Buzza in that category perhaps as well. Many see more in him than I do, but he also tries his best, and could possibly improve enough to make it.

Initially some of the Parsons criticism was over the top, but eventually he really did lose all confidence and composure. Not a lost cause yet though. I stil lfeel as though for his development more time in the ressies, played in position, is best for him at the moment. Even if it means the majority of the season on the periphery as far as seniors football.

I think eventually he can be an alright wing man or half back at AFL level. He showed early signs before the whole small forward saga.
Totally agree - the worse thing for him was playing him not necessarily when he wasn't in great form but when his confidence was down. There were times last year where he played 2 or 3 consecutive games, would be dropped for one game where he'd go back to the VFL & do ok, and then get promoted too the seniors and struggle.

He wasn't given an opportunity early in the year to actually string together games in the VFL where he could actually build his confidence & form before even being considered for a senior promotion. By the time they did that in the second half of the season it was too late.

I'd be happy to see him given an extended run in the VFL this year, show an extended run of form and then if the opportunity arises in the second half of the year consider him them - but only if it's in a suitable role because playing midfield/wing in the VFL but then being asked to play out of position in the forward pocket in AFL is setting him up to fail.

Last edited:
This should be a cracker, hope Gaz kicks another bag, Rohan too. Spewin Parrfit is out he really deserves that #3 doing the jumper proud.

Happy to see constable 👮‍♀️ back, hope parsons plays well, Im still unsure about him seems like we always play better when his out of the side I know that sounds harsh but just my 2 cents.

GO CATTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back