Life

Remove this Banner Ad

No surprise privately educated ‘nah I’m not that well off’ Scotland just loves Liberal policies but lacks the nuts to say he votes for them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ha. Speak of the devil. The 24/25 year old who can't even drive a car. Bet prospective employers love that.

I swear you nuffies just make s**t up to convince yourself of whatever the latest fantasy is. Went to a public school and if I have kids they will too. Next you'll have me as a weekly churchgoer.

On the flip side, blaming external factors for your own lack of success can be symptomatic of being lazy/soft.
If you ever read to SRP board pretty anyone in history of Australia that has ever done really well for themselves has just had it all gifted to them by their their childhood postcode and their affluent parents.

If you ever read to SRP board pretty anyone in history of Australia that has ever done really well for themselves has just had it all gifted to them by their their childhood postcode and their affluent parents.

I knew some rich kids at uni. They have NFI how most people live. High school ski trips overseas... We went camping in Dwellingup.

Would've loved a free brand new car, no HECS debt, free money for beer without having to work part time etc.

The fact that a Kardashian can get a billionaire is just sad and depresses me
Meh. She has a successful business flogging overpriced makeup to tweens. She got a massive head start in life but you can't say she isn't deserving of all that money.

As the guy above said, it's the idiots who idolise people like her that are the real problem. And I don't mean the 13-year-old girls who look up to her. I mean the grown-ass 20-somethings who keep up with every single thing that the Kardashians do, buy all their s**t, like every post they make on Instagram, get lip fillers to look like them, and try to emulate their lifestyle in every way possible. It's yuck.

What is ‘working hard?’

Shovelling coal, cleaning the toilets at Perth Underground on the weekend is much harder than being an accountant or a lawyer.
Menial jobs like that carry zero thinking, pressure or responsibility. Whilst they would be dirty and depressing they aren't even that hard physically.

Try shearing sheep, it's like playing 3 games of footy in a day and then backing it up the next. Was glad I did that with the old man for a little bit years ago because everything thing else seems like absolute cakewalk since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Menial jobs like that carry zero thinking, pressure or responsibility. Whilst they would be dirty and depressing they aren't even that hard physically.

Try shearing sheep, it's like playing 3 games of footy in a day and then backing it up the next. Was glad I did that with the old man for a little bit years ago because everything thing else seems like absolute cakewalk since.
My family's background is in wool; tbh wish we still were.

Reading the last few pages of this thread made me sad. Wasn’t the best thing for me to read right now with where I’m at. I feel like I’m fine mentally but just have a constant apathetic feeling hidden somewhere inside me.

I’ve just finished uni, should be applying for jobs in finance but right now I’m lost. I don’t know what I wanna do or even if my degree was the right choice. Going back and doing a different degree though would mean more years of horribly boring hours at a supermarket with people who come and go each year as they move on with their lives. And I’m not even sure the other degree I’d do would even lead to work I want to do.

I mean I guess I’ve got to bite the bullet and just apply for some places. But I fear my complete apathy towards uni studies (something I’ll never understand because I was a diligent student in high school) has left me well behind others and possibly struggling to find any sort of meaningful work.

Towards the end of high school I pictured myself by 22 having a clear idea of what I wanted to do. Possibly making arrangements to move out within a few years and with or having had a girlfriend at some stage. In reality everything has been completely different. I wouldn’t say I’m unhappy with my life the last few years but I just feel like I’m going nowhere.

I’ve ranted on here before about the whole do what you enjoy thing. It just irritates me. I know so many people just suck up and do some shitty job they don’t enjoy. But I just can’t see myself wanting to do that. Just seems like a complete waste of intelligence. Obviously I consider the solution to create something that allows me to run my own show like a business or app for example. But like plenty do, I’m sure it will just be a dream.

Instead I’ll probably end up in some mundane job counting down the hours until I can go home and repeating it daily until I’m old and grey. It depresses me and I try not to think about it.

People also talk about doing things outside of work, but in my experience when you work all week, you simply come home tired not wanting to do a lot and it remains that way until the weekend.

I guess growing up just sucks. Like one giant dose of reality smacking me in the face.

Reading the last few pages of this thread made me sad. Wasn’t the best thing for me to read right now with where I’m at. I feel like I’m fine mentally but just have a constant apathetic feeling hidden somewhere inside me.

I’ve just finished uni, should be applying for jobs in finance but right now I’m lost. I don’t know what I wanna do or even if my degree was the right choice. Going back and doing a different degree though would mean more years of horribly boring hours at a supermarket with people who come and go each year as they move on with their lives. And I’m not even sure the other degree I’d do would even lead to work I want to do.

I mean I guess I’ve got to bite the bullet and just apply for some places. But I fear my complete apathy towards uni studies (something I’ll never understand because I was a diligent student in high school) has left me well behind others and possibly struggling to find any sort of meaningful work.

Towards the end of high school I pictured myself by 22 having a clear idea of what I wanted to do. Possibly making arrangements to move out within a few years and with or having had a girlfriend at some stage. In reality everything has been completely different. I wouldn’t say I’m unhappy with my life the last few years but I just feel like I’m going nowhere.

I’ve ranted on here before about the whole do what you enjoy thing. It just irritates me. I know so many people just suck up and do some shitty job they don’t enjoy. But I just can’t see myself wanting to do that. Just seems like a complete waste of intelligence. Obviously I consider the solution to create something that allows me to run my own show like a business or app for example. But like plenty do, I’m sure it will just be a dream.

Instead I’ll probably end up in some mundane job counting down the hours until I can go home and repeating it daily until I’m old and grey. It depresses me and I try not to think about it.

People also talk about doing things outside of work, but in my experience when you work all week, you simply come home tired not wanting to do a lot and it remains that way until the weekend.

I guess growing up just sucks. Like one giant dose of reality smacking me in the face.
Wait 15 years till doctors want access to your ass. Youth is fleeting and for you it's pretty much over. Though you do have a few good, healthy years left. Make the most of them.

Instagram is a waste of time.

Yeah Id apply for jobs and just give it a go knce you get one.

Try and find the best in it and just knuckle down.

I didnt thibk Id be where I am for 13 years but its like a 2nd home now and I like going there.

You'll meet new people, new friendships, new opportunities. Its not all about the actual work.

Plus Im assuming you'll make a lot more money than at a supermarket so that opens up travel etc.

Keep at it

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

You'll meet new people, new friendships, new opportunities. Its not all about the actual work.
Easier said than done, but I reckon liking most of the people you are around for 40+ hours a week is massive part of how happy you are in a job. As long as the work is at least ok and you don't hate it if you get along with everybody well and even find a couple of friends you'll have a decent time.

Positive of shift work (probably the only positive) was when people pissed me off it wasn't too long until we weren't working together. Old lifers who disliked or worked against any change since a decade before I got there... if I had to work with them every day until they retired or died * I'd feel awful.

"Aaaoowoww bloody [teenage daughter's name] has gone off with [teenage daughter's boyfriend's name] again without telling me". If you were my mum and the conversation for 17 years I'd * off too.

Last edited:

I know a few people who didn't find their groove until they were in their 30's. I was late finding mine as well.

You never know what life might be like in 10 years, the world may be different and you may enjoy and benefit from it.

Giving up the social media is a good start and never judge your own progress with those of the same age as you.

Find positive stuff to read and listen to.

You have to be accountable to yourself. As an adult your parents aren't going to be getting you up out of bed of a morning to make you go to work.

Write down a list. Have weekly goals. Have yearly goals. Have long-term goals.

Once you're in a rut it can be extremely hard to get out of it. I received some good advice from a psychologist a few years back. It was in regards to my job where I wasn't that happy. He told me that I either need to find a new job or change how I think about my current job, as simple as that. I ended up changing how I thought about my job and what I was doing, I became quite pro-active in telling my superiors I'm not moving in the direction I had hoped. A year passed and this constant message got through and I was promoted and shifted sideways into a more meaningful role.

Now, my thought process has changed again. Whilst I don't love my job, I don't fear coming to work like I once did. As a sporting term I look at it like I'm moving up the grades, have to keep adding little pieces to your resume and if you can add value to a company then that's when you start looking to move to the pro grades.

You have to be accountable to yourself. As an adult your parents aren't going to be getting you up out of bed of a morning to make you go to work.

Write down a list. Have weekly goals. Have yearly goals. Have long-term goals.

Once you're in a rut it can be extremely hard to get out of it. I received some good advice from a psychologist a few years back. It was in regards to my job where I wasn't that happy. He told me that I either need to find a new job or change how I think about my current job, as simple as that. I ended up changing how I thought about my job and what I was doing, I became quite pro-active in telling my superiors I'm not moving in the direction I had hoped. A year passed and this constant message got through and I was promoted and shifted sideways into a more meaningful role.

Now, my thought process has changed again. Whilst I don't love my job, I don't fear coming to work like I once did. As a sporting term I look at it like I'm moving up the grades, have to keep adding little pieces to your resume and if you can add value to a company then that's when you start looking to move
There should be no stigma attached to psycho therapy. I've used it to varying degrees my entire adult life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back