Preview Round 6, 2019: Hawthorn v Carlton, 28 April 2019, 3.20pm @ York Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They won’t play all 4. Casboult to make way for Curnow.

You reckon? Didn't Casboult tear a new one in the Dog's backline with his pack marking?

P.S. I thought we should have traded in Casboult just to have a marking option big bodied player to spill it to ground for our sneaky forward players. Our marking options up forward aren't flash.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Alright guys here it is after watching the Anzac day match and Essendon was outclassed in the first half, what kept them in the game x factor in there fwd line big marks and two massive kicks from Joey d and stringer.

When I look at our team in our fwd line we don't have anyone to take pack marks or kick long goals in our 50.
We use to have Franklin and roughy.
The one guy that can do it is playing C.H.B its time to grab the bulls buy the horn and play him at C.H.F
We are screming out for a bloke to sit on ppl heads that our small guys can rover to rather than be the long option, breust wingard and poppy game would all improve with high flying forward.
Roughy can no longer do this.

We have Stratton Scrimshaw and even Birchall if he ever returns who can play this role. tob and c.j are learning at boxhill.. you could even play gunston back there if you are really worried or im sure roughead would relish the role.

My forward line would be
Poppy Lewis Gunston
Wingard Sicily Breust.
Sicily doesn’t sit on people’s heads. He floats in from of the pack and takes u contested marks. Or he judges the ball in flight better than his opponent and works him under the ball from behind and then marks. He isn’t going to address the need you describe.

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sicily doesn’t sit on people’s heads. He floats in from of the pack and takes u contested marks. Or he judges the ball in flight better than his opponent and works him under the ball from behind and then marks. He isn’t going to address the need you describe.

Agreed.

Sicily is starring in his position. When you have one piece working brilliantly, you don't change it. Maybe in 5kg time and a replacement for him down back.

Snibs

All Australian
May 25, 2007
Towaninee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You reckon? Didn't Casboult tear a new one in the Dog's backline with his pack marking?

P.S. I thought we should have traded in Casboult just to have a marking option big bodied player to spill it to ground for our sneaky forward players. Our marking options up forward aren't flash.

They wouldn’t be silly enough to play all four. Casboult the least capable.

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will be interesting when we have Birchall, Chip and Burgoyne all back. We may have to send him fwd!

Hmmm.

Reckon none of those 3 change anything.

I reckon Birchall will never be back, and if he is, it's probably his last season.

Chip doesn't interfere with Sicily's position. Different role.

Burgoyne doesn't play Sicily's role and is possibly playing his last season. Will be looked after during the rest of the season to not overload him

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have no idea what Miles did wrong against Sydney in the final round last season. If you had told me he would be overlooked for two finals games and the first six rounds of the following season I wouldn’t have believed it.

He needs a run.

KOLOKOTRONIS
Poor defensively. He is good going forward though and I don’t think that would hurt us right now. We kept him all this time so might as well give him a go.

Poor defensively. He is good going forward though and I don’t think that would hurt us right now. We kept him all this time so might as well give him a go.

If we're looking at subbing someone in for Nash, Miles being a small forward that had 0 tackles on the weekend is probably why he wasn't named.

We're pretty stable for his role defensively so he's a victim of that.

The difference for Hawthorn as a unit, on top of the quality of player and coach, has been a glut of on field leaders who knew what to do and when to do it. They're able to set up play, direct and play smart football.

Across each line, we have the following guys who are long term Hawks that perform those roles and square us up:

Defense: Birchall (out), Stratton (out), Frawley (out)
Centre: Shiels (out), Smith
Forward: Gunston (out of position), Roughead
General: Burgoyne (out)

We looked listless for a reason. Of all the players that we have on our list that can stabilise the game and settle the others, we had all but 3 out and one of them was out of position most game.

Bris did a fantastic bit of analysis in the Clarko rebuild model thread where he showed our midfield getting drawn in to the ball and getting exploited on the spread. This happens with young and inexperienced sides, particularly with no old heads able to go in and settle things down.

Against Adelaide, when we had a good unit with our leaders in, we won comfortably because we were able to quickly break down the zone with effective disposal. We didn't get anywhere near as much of the ball; however, when we had it we attacked at angles, got the ball forward but to advantage of our forward line and were effective from there.

In essence, most of our woes get boiled down to our lack of leadership through the middle, inability to force a secondary stoppage when we don't get hands to the ball first and inability to spread the ball out to our skills players on the outside when we do. Shiels is a double threat of what we're missing, considering he's one of the most consistent modern day tackling mids AND someone who looks to the outside more than straight ahead.

I remember reading in an article that Mitchell was the league leader by a fair margin in assisted metres gained, meaning that he was the best player in the league at getting the ball to people in better positions. This is not a strength of Jaeger, Worpel or Cousins - all three are very much kick the ball long first players, in Cousins' case, long and high. It isn't ideal to have Cousins our 2nd leading inside 50 player, with Isaac Smith sitting at our 9th.

Our defense is good, if they had a bit more protection through the midfield they'd be relatively water tight, but no defense can stop some of the entries at speed we allow, something that I believe allowed Geelong to break their record of score from stoppage on Monday. On the flip side, our forward line is good, but having no consideration for ball placement and just putting it in long puts all our forwards at a disadvantage and makes them all panic and lead to the same spots. The ball essentially gets rebounded before our defensive zone is established and it's off to the races.

If we can rejig this and start getting the ball out to players like Henderson, Scully and Smith, we improve dramatically. Our forwards start getting better looks and it opens up leading space, and our defenders get a chance to press up the field and set up. Even if the ball spills out, with a press forward, our ability to pressure the oppo should result in plenty of clearing kicks being picked off by Impey, Sicily, Scrimshaw and Stratton who are 4 of the better intercept marking players in the league at the moment.

Anyway - long story short. Timber isn't the problem, leadership and stability is a problem. If we can get the ball out we can win against anyone. If we can execute it against Carlton, it should set us up for the more challenging weeks ahead.

Wingnut19

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ill never ever understand the Miles omission from last year and this year? Poor defensively? crikey no one in our side at moment is perfect, when he played last year we won every game bar 1. Clarko is a god to me but gee he can be stubborn, this is a perfect example. Miles dominates VFL, is a class above. He has pace and skills, to not even be in the squads this year tells me he wants out. I don't blame him now. hope he goes somewhere and gets more opportunity. Clarko has blown this.

And if they did, what the hell are we going to do about it?
I doubt we could stop them taking at least 15 marks near goal.

You must think we're in some serious strife if you're worrying about Levi Casboult tearing us a new one when Hawkins only kicked 1 goal.

You must think we're in some serious strife if you're worrying about Levi Casboult tearing us a new one when Hawkins only kicked 1 goal.
Didn't Hawkings miss a few easy ones? Don't make it out like I said casboult would tear us a new one. You should write for the afl with spin like that. Or stop reading their shite, it's obviously not doing you any good.

Didn't Hawkings miss a few easy ones? Don't make it out like I said casboult would tear us a new one. You should write for the afl with spin like that. Or stop reading their shite, it's obviously not doing you any good.

"I doubt we could stop them from taking at least 15 marks near goal" - with 15 marks being more than we've conceded all year, I didn't really have to spin anything.

:rolleyes:

Spursfan

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Ill never ever understand the Miles omission from last year and this year? Poor defensively? crikey no one in our side at moment is perfect, when he played last year we won every game bar 1. Clarko is a god to me but gee he can be stubborn, this is a perfect example. Miles dominates VFL, is a class above. He has pace and skills, to not even be in the squads this year tells me he wants out. I don't blame him now. hope he goes somewhere and gets more opportunity. Clarko has blown this.

Come on, Miles is a fringe player at best. I'm sure I read Hawthorn told him he could be traded last year

rubbers0ul

All Australian
Sep 14, 2005
a-town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
centrals
Seems to play well as the solitary ruck does big cegs

They both do. Hawks got smashed in the clearances in the last qtr when ceglar was rucking and Marshall was jumping all over him and getting touches around the ground. Not sure why they left big boy in the f50 when this was happening.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn

To be honest there’s no justification for Miles being dropped particularly when you see the persistence with Conor Nash.. how do you think Teia is feeling? Nash literally can’t catch a cold yet Teia played some decent footy and one gets a free ride whilst the other doesn’t get a look in? I felt for Mitch Lewis constantly dominating VFL and not getting a game and I feel equally sorry for Miles.

Surely Conor doesn’t play, is it possible he gets another run?

To be honest there’s no justification for Miles being dropped particularly when you see the persistence with Conor Nash.. how do you think Teia is feeling? Nash literally can’t catch a cold yet Teia played some decent footy and one gets a free ride whilst the other doesn’t get a look in? I felt for Mitch Lewis constantly dominating VFL and not getting a game and I feel equally sorry for Miles.

Surely Conor doesn’t play, is it possible he gets another run?

At this point I don't think he does get another run until he picks up some form. I love what Conor could be, but he's not performing to that level. He's a smart kid so potentially he's over thinking it and over thinking his role.

Miles unfortunately plays his best footy in a role that we have a considerable amount of depth in. He's comfortably behind Hardwick, Impey, Scrimshaw and probably soon CJ. There are plenty of players in our recent history that played good footy but didn't get a look in due to depth in a certain area, which isn't a bad thing.

"I doubt we could stop them from taking at least 15 marks near goal" - with 15 marks being more than we've conceded all year, I didn't really have to spin anything.

:rolleyes:
Lol you've spun out man!

McKay 11m
McGovern 4m
Kreuzer 4m
and your man casboult 5m

They will be brimming with confidence and could be very dangerous, I do agree that our problem is midfield and leadership arm (I've said something similar early in the season) If we improve there than it wont matter how tall carltank are, we will beat then. Oh n the tassie conditions might help too.
As for your trip us anew one Haha I think LE might have mentioned it, not I. I don't think casboult could rip open a packet of chips but he can clunk a mark.

I love what Conor could be, but he's not performing to that level. He's a smart kid so potentially he's over thinking it and over thinking his role.
This.
It's like he is trying too hard on structures and his role that it is hampering his natural talent and flair. He has great speed and endurance which I would like to see him on the wing taking the game on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back