AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04/18/every-aflw-trade-and-signing-so-far/

still nothing on geelong.... except no signings at otehr clubs involving geelong players ...

Fremantle and Brisbane must be laughing with joy to see West Coast and Gold Coast come in

Richmond
Katie Brennan (Western Bulldogs)
Sabrina Frederick (Brisbane)
Christina Bernardi (GWS)
Iilish Ross (Collingwood)
Phoebe Monahan (GWS)
Maddy Brancatisano (Melbourne)

St Kilda
Nat Exon (Brisbane)
Kate McCarthy (Brisbane)
Darcy Guttridge (Collingwood)
Catherine Phillips (Melbourne)
Jessica Sedunary (Adelaide)
Courtney Munn (North Melbourne)
Alison Drennan (North Melbourne)
Rhiannon Watt (Carlton)
Selena Karlson (Western Bulldogs)

West Coast
Dana Hooker (Fremantle)
Emma Swanson (GWS)
Ashlee Atkins (Fremantle)
Kellie Gibson (Fremantle)
Mel Caulfield (Fremantle)
Maddy Collier (GWS)
McKenzie Dowrick (Brisbane)
Alicia Janz (Fremantle)
Parris Laurie (Fremantle)
Belinda Smith (Fremantle)
Brianna Green (Fremantle)
Courtney Stubbs (Fremantle)

Gold Coast
Leah Kaslar (Brisbane)
Jamie Stanton (North Melbourne)
Samantha Virgo (Brisbane)
Jacqueline Yorston (Brisbane)
Jasmyn Hewett (Adelaide)
Tiarna Ernst (Western Bulldogs)
Tori Groves-Little (Brisbane)
Paige Parker (Brisbane)
Lauren Bella (Brisbane)
Emma Pittman (Brisbane)

Pick 11.....

DRAFT ORDER – ROUND 1

1. Richmond (Priority selection 1)

2. Collingwood

3. Brisbane Lions

4. GWS Giants

5. St Kilda (Priority selection 1)

6. Western Bulldogs

7. Richmond (Priority selection 2)

8. Melbourne

9. St Kilda (Priority selection 2)

10. North Melbourne

11. Geelong Cats

12. Fremantle

13. Carlton

14. Adelaide Crows

15. Brisbane Lions (Previously St Kilda – Kate McCarthy Trade)

16. Brisbane Lions (Previously Richmond – Sabrina Frederick Trade)

17. Brisbane Lions (Previously West Coast – McKenzie Dowrick Trade)

18. Gold Coast Suns

I'm confused - where's the clutter considering there's only one currently active AFLW thread?

If we are m seperating the AFLW from the AFL, does it mean we also need to remove VFL discussions from the main board to remove confusion between that and the AFL also?

I'm confused - where's the clutter considering there's only one currently active AFLW thread?

If we are m seperating the AFLW from the AFL, does it mean we also need to remove VFL discussions from the main board to remove confusion between that and the AFL also?
Ahh. You see if there were threads for the Falcons and the little league I'd suggest they are moved also.
Yup, you could move the VFL, but the results of that team does affect the afl team.

Ahh. You see if there were threads for the Falcons and the little league I'd suggest they are moved also.
Yup, you could move the VFL, but the results of that team does affect the afl team.
That doesn't actually address how this thread is causing clutter though.

We have one AFLW megathread which is used to discuss all things relating to the AFLW - Geelong, other teams, the league etc.

We then have one VFL megathread which discusses primarily the Geelong VFL team and their matches, but there is the odd post relating to the league or other teams.

Both those threads area clearly labelled as being AFLW & VFL - so how is it that one causes clutter while the other doesn't just because it has connections to the mens senior side?

Maybe a mod or someone else can help me here, but can't threads be sorted by their labels/topics and hence you can ignore labels/topics that don't interest you? That's not actually something I worry about, all I do is read the thread title, some I read and some I don't - I've always got threads with bolded titles showing unread posts because the topic doesn't interest me.

Creating a new sub-forum for one currently active post, and I think 10 (?) threads during the season seems to be more work than currently worth it. I can totally understand when the AFLW is treated more seriously by the league, given a genuine season of more than 7 h&a matches and there's a lot more discussion going on, I could see merit in creating a sub-forum covering the two GFC womens teams - but surely the minimal active threads labelled AFLW aren't currently that distracting.

It would be great through when discussion is built to a level that a seperate sub-forum is required

I'm with what others have said previously. Aflw needs its own board.
Doesn't belong in the afl board.
It's clutter.
Your opinion has been noted.

Thread stays here.

Geelong Football Club Board.

Go Catters

Draft picks by club....

Adelaide: 14, 37, 53, 68, 83

Brisbane: 3, 15 (traded from St Kilda), 16 (traded from Richmond), 17 (traded from West Coast), 20 (compensation), 28, 45, 60, 75

Carlton: 13, 36, 52, 67, 82

Collingwood: 2, 26, 44, 59, 74

Fremantle: 12, 21 (compensation), 35, 51, 66, 81

Geelong: 11, 34, 50, 65, 80

Gold Coast: 18, 22 (priority), 38, 42 (priority), 57, 69, 87

Greater Western Sydney: 4, 23 (compensation), 29, 46, 61, 76

Melbourne: 8, 48, 63, 78

North Melbourne: 10, 32, 49, 64, 79

Richmond: 1 (priority), 7 (priority), 25 (priority), 31 (priority), 40, 43 (priority), 55, 58 (priority), 71, 73 (priority), 85, 88

St Kilda: 5 (priority), 9 (priority), 27 (priority), 33 (priority), 41, 54, 72, 84, 89

West Coast: 19 (priority), 39, 56, 70, 86, 90

Western Bulldogs: 6, 24 (compensation), 30, 47, 62, 77

The Western Bulldogs have obtained the first pick in the 2019 AFLW draft from Richmond in exchange for reigning best and fairest winner Monique Conti.
The midfielder has joined Richmond on a two-year deal, a move first reported by Foxfooty.com.au late last week.

The Tigers were handed the first pick in the AFLW draft earlier this week as a priority selection, following the first sign and trade period.

I think the Bulldogs will be very happy with that, and let's be honest it's not a bad upgrade when she was drafted with the 4th pick just 2 years ago and to get the trade done they end up with pick 1. I know the Dogs have lost a fair bit of experience over the last 2 seasons with the introduction of the new teams, but if they can keep their youngsters together they could be a force in a couple of years

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wo...8h7eQrMqyb5tIbbd1dj956U7N54jWXxsR9-mer4JKoTWI

The Falcons and the little league are not Geelong Football club .. two threads is hardly a strain when and if a thread is not used it rolls back anyway.

I think the Bulldogs will be very happy with that, and let's be honest it's not a bad upgrade when she was drafted with the 4th pick just 2 years ago and to get the trade done they end up with pick 1. I know the Dogs have lost a fair bit of experience over the last 2 seasons with the introduction of the new teams, but if they can keep their youngsters together they could be a force in a couple of years

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wo...8h7eQrMqyb5tIbbd1dj956U7N54jWXxsR9-mer4JKoTWI

Its a bit dodgy though when Collingwood probably was expecting the #1... it will be much better once it settle down for a while...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a bit dodgy though when Collingwood probably was expecting the #1... it will be much better once it settle down for a while...

I agree, from next year it should work better without additional teams being introduced.

Seems the Pies wouldn't have been able to keep the #1 pick anyway

Brianna Davey to Collingwood with the following trade:
Carlton received picks 2, 26, 44 and 59 in the deal, with the Pies getting Davey and picks 67 and 82.

Finally we have some news on our on team for the 2020 season:

The Geelong Cats have finalised player recontracting following the club’s inaugural season. Twenty-four players have accepted contracted offers that will see them remain in the navy and white hoops.

The primary list consists of 22 players - Cassie Blakeway, Madeleine Boyd, Rene Caris, Georgia Clarke, Rocky Cranston, Julia Crockett-Grills, Kate Darby, Olivia Deane-Purcell, Renee Garing, Bec Goring, Melissa Hickey, Jordan Ivey, Madeline Keryk, Meghan McDonald, Phoebe McWilliams, Nina Morrison, Aasta O'Connor, Danielle Orr, Denby Taylor, Anna Teague, Sophie Van De Heuvel and Rebecca Webster. Maddy McMahon and Georgie Rankin remain on the rookie list.

Six players – Hannah Burchell, Mia-Rae Clifford, Elise Coventry, Maighan Fogas, Erin Hoare and Hayley Trevean have not been recontracted.

“With four new clubs entering the AFLW competition in 2020, we had a strong focus on ensuring we maintained the bulk of our list,” Geelong’s AFLW Operations & Recruiting Manager Ben Waller said.

“We are pleased to have reached agreements with 24 players and look forward to the continued development of our list.

“Inevitably at the end of every season, we see players move on. Hannah, Mia-Rae, Elise, Maighan, Erin and Hayley have all been significant players for us over our journey in women’s football, and they should be proud of the contributions they have made to the club. We wish them well in their future endeavours and hope that they can continue on their football journeys. They will always be important to our club and we hope to see them at GMHBA Stadium in the future.”

The Cats women’s program debuted in 2017 in VFLW. After making the VFLW Grand Final in 2018, Geelong entered the AFLW for 2019, making it through to the preliminary final before going down to eventual premiers, Adelaide.

I feel Boyd is a little lucky to be retained after what was a disappointing season, but maybe with losing Hoare they decided that gave her a lifeline.

Great to see the "McTwins" back in defence next year and really awesome that we could keep the mum of 3 Maddy McMahon on the rookie list

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2019-04-26/aflw-cats-resign-24

Finally we have some news on our on team for the 2020 season:

I feel Boyd is a little lucky to be retained after what was a disappointing season, but maybe with losing Hoare they decided that gave her a lifeline.

Great to see the "McTwins" back in defence next year and really awesome that we could keep the mum of 3 Maddy McMahon on the rookie list

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2019-04-26/aflw-cats-resign-24

Its seems they have gone for the steady as it goes approach... cause keeping the same list ..the list that got shown up the longer the season went in areas like speed and skill .. etc. might be a tough season in 2020.

Last edited:
Its seems they have gone for the steady as it goes approach... cause keeping the same list ..the list that got shown up the longer the season went in areas like speed and skill .. etc.

When you consider how rapidly the game is moving (both literally and metaphorically) now, it's staggering to think that we're basically opting for more of the same.

As Turbo said, we got shown up more and more the longer the season went. So, unless we're planning to do wonders with the team in terms of overall fitness levels or to have some stunning 'wins' at the draft, it's very difficult to see how we can be more competitive at the pointy end of next season with this approach to list management.

Speaking of the women's side of things, I find it staggering there is next to nothing about our VFLW team on the GFC website 3 weeks out from the season starting.

The last thing that was posted was the fixture for the 2019 season which was posted in December last year.

EDIT: Just looked at the VFL website, and apparently the girls have a practice match at noon on Sunday against Darebin out at Deakin, and have their last practice match against Carlton next Saturday at 11.30am, also at Deakin. Wouldn't know that by looking at the GFC website though.

Last edited:
When you consider how rapidly the game is moving (both literally and metaphorically) now, it's staggering to think that we're basically opting for more of the same.

As Turbo said, we got shown up more and more the longer the season went. So, unless we're planning to do wonders with the team in terms of overall fitness levels or to have some stunning 'wins' at the draft, it's very difficult to see how we can be more competitive at the pointy end of next season with this approach to list management.
To make changes to our list we would have needed to trade and maybe they decided that going to the draft was going to be a better option based on available players who may have been open to a trade.

I'm sure the club would be keeping an eye on Lucy McEvoy and very keen to draft her (fingers crossed she nominates Geelong region only) - she has been touted as a high draft pick since 2 years ago when she was 15, and I think she'll be available this year. We may well need pick 11 to draft her

To make changes to our list we would have needed to trade and maybe they decided that going to the draft was going to be a better option based on available players who may have been open to a trade.

I'm sure the club would be keeping an eye on Lucy McEvoy and very keen to draft her (fingers crossed she nominates Geelong region only) - she has been touted as a high draft pick since 2 years ago when she was 15, and I think she'll be available this year. We may well need pick 11 to draft her

Probably a fair point... I just wonder if they are walking the talk as well. They made plenty of noise about locals and development.. Its just that is really a long plan. ...na dI have to be honest... I did not enjoy our tactical approach ... the tackle fest V Fremantle just about wrecked our season. Girls footy should be less about the physical side and more about skill and speed (imo)

Patience is required.
The team has played a handful of games, literally.
It will take time.
The AFL is making things up as it goes along, and the clubs are being dragged along in its wake.
It will be at least a couple of seasons before things start to settle.
It doesn't mean it's not worthy, or even unexciting.

While we didn't sign any delisted free agents, a couple of those players we delisted last week have found new homes. Wishing them luck for next year:

Richmond has signed midfielder Hannah Burchell, who had a few niggling injuries this year and played her one and only game in round seven for Geelong.
Defender Mia-Rae Clifford (who featured in all of Geelong’s eight matches in 2019) will head west after agreeing to terms with Fremantle.

Though, I thought Clifford played predominant forward for us

https://womens.afl/news/17848/lucky-seven-get-free-agent-lifelines-on-final-day

While we didn't sign any delisted free agents, a couple of those players we delisted last week have found new homes. Wishing them luck for next year:

Richmond has signed midfielder Hannah Burchell, who had a few niggling injuries this year and played her one and only game in round seven for Geelong.
Defender Mia-Rae Clifford (who featured in all of Geelong’s eight matches in 2019) will head west after agreeing to terms with Fremantle.

Though, I thought Clifford played predominant forward for us

https://womens.afl/news/17848/lucky-seven-get-free-agent-lifelines-on-final-day

It what the comp wants ..a lot fluidity. I just don't have a good enough grasp on the w recruitment ... I guess we trust them and see how we end up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back