Preview Gold Coast Suns vs Brisbane Lions Saturday 27 April 2019 - 1.45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Had a chance to kick the sealer in Vossy's last match as coach too !!

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2013/23/geel-v-bl

"
Late in the final term, key forward Jordan Lisle kicked a goal to reduce the margin to two points with three minutes to go, and the Lions' season was still alive.

Joel Selwood then produced a classy banana goal before Lisle again stood up, taking a strong contested mark and converting to make the margin two points again.

In a hectic final minute, Ryan Lester had a chance to win the game for the Lions, but his snap shot was rushed over the line with two seconds to go.
"

Hadn’t Voss been let go a few weeks earlier and Mark Harvey was coaching out the season? I remember the irony of almost making finals after Voss had been let go.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Had a chance to kick the sealer in Vossy's last match as coach too !!

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2013/23/geel-v-bl

"
Late in the final term, key forward Jordan Lisle kicked a goal to reduce the margin to two points with three minutes to go, and the Lions' season was still alive.

Joel Selwood then produced a classy banana goal before Lisle again stood up, taking a strong contested mark and converting to make the margin two points again.

In a hectic final minute, Ryan Lester had a chance to win the game for the Lions, but his snap shot was rushed over the line with two seconds to go.
"

Lol, I remember trying to follow this game whilst on a bus in the outback. Trying to press refresh as many times as I could when we were withing cooee of a town with a phone reception tower.

Was Vossy still coach then or was it Harvey as caretaker? I forget now.

What I do remember is how much of a pack of clowns we had running the joint back then. Ok, lets sack Voss because we've got Roosy in the bag lolol. Screw you board & screw you Paul Roos too.

Hadn’t Voss been let go a few weeks earlier and Mark Harvey was coaching out the season? I remember the irony of almost making finals after Voss had been let go.

yep you're right ! I thought of it as Vossy being around in spite of being sacked - but Harvey did take over and we were about to make finals !!

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Yeah, I remember it that way too. Almost embarrassing for Harvey too. After the Roos deal didn't come off, a few were putting his name out there for taking over from Voss, he must've been like 'umm, no, I've just seen the way you treat your coach & run your club. I'm outta here'......

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I'd like to see this as the coaches votes for Saturday-

Tom Cutler 10
Daniel McStay 8
Charlie Cameron 6
Lewy Taylor 4
Noah Answerth 2

The first 4 playing well would have such a positive impact on the way we play the game and Noah just because I'd like to see him have a good debut, all Lions in the votes would also mean we won easily:D.

I was an Ace fan too.
Acorn had to play with Brown, which always makes it difficult due to comparisons. If he was around today, he would have had a much better chance of playing more games.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Picture this place if Lester takes out BOG.

We've seen 3KZ with his'Lid is Off Thread'. He will be insufferably smug if Lester takes out BOG. I would expect at least a 'Get him another Three Year Contract Thread'.

Let's hope he kicks the winning goal again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The thing with McStay is that he is the classic "project player" and they tend to be heart breakers and sometimes coach breakers.

McStay started as a forward with limited success, shifted to defence where he quite didn't work out, has now switched forward again and still struggling there.

After 84 games and plenty of opportunity his biggest 'bag' in a single game is 4 goals (against Carlton) and he has kicked 3 goals on only three other occasions. Hardly inspiring stuff. This year he is averaging a goal a game, but he hasn't kicked a goal in 2 out of 5 games.

I'd love to see him come good, but on what we have seen so far, it is not looking promising. I would have said he was worth another shot in defence, but with Walker in career best form, there really isn't a place for McStay in defence.

Any chance of a couple of hours without posting about McStay?

We've seen 3KZ with his'Lid is Off Thread'. He will be insufferably smug if Lester takes out BOG. I would expect at least a 'Get him another Three Year Contract Thread'.

Let's hope he kicks the winning goal again

Let's hope so. Hope you enjoy your trip to Queensland for the game, DERRINALPHIL.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If we'd picked this team last week I can't see how we could've lost!
Of course, would have been a 40-50 point win and we'd now be premiership favorites and have our marquee Good Friday eve fixture locked in for the next 20 years with the full blessing of Gill the Dill and Eddie that we are worthy.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If we'd picked this team last week I can't see how we could've lost!

Apparently the trick to winning is not selecting Bundy and Robbo so if they’ve learnt their lesson we’re guaranteed a few premierships now.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Can see the logic behind every in.

Cutler and Squiz to add some spark on the outside. Answerth to give us some genuine run from defence and Lester to add some experience and organisation in the absence of Harro.

Not saying for a second I am confident that it will all come to fruition but the logic is definitely there.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Things we need to do to win this week;

Rayner, Linc and Cameron to kick at least 6 between them
To break even in contested possessions
Which will require Lyons to have more than 5 disposals in the first half
To get within 15 tackles (being realistic here)
Keep Sexton to less than 4 goals
Be within 4 goals of the lead or leading at 3 quarter time

Other things to avoid
Playing Cameron at centre bounces
Leaving Hodge or Witherden one out on the last line of defence

Strato

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pretty happy with the changes to be honest. There's a lot of talk around here about speed & pace. Sure, a bit of run & carry is nice, but I think we can go overboard with it a bit. If you win the midfield, get first hands on it & are up in the game, funny how much faster you look. Don't care how fast you run, you can't outrun a good kick or 20 metre handball. How many greats of the game were instrumental in fast plays while still being dare i say it 'slow as treacle'. Fast brain, evasive skills, foresight to know / see where the play was going, lightning hands etc. When you're not in the game & chasing tail, you always look slow. Look at Melbourne right now lol.
I totally agree. Diesel Williams, Polly Farmer are great examples. Slow running players, fast brain, lightning hands and could read the play, etc - CHAMPIONS

I totally agree. Diesel Williams, Polly Farmer, Sam Sheldon are great examples. Slow running players, fast brain, lightning hands and could read the play, etc - CHAMPIONS
EFA

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
watching the NEAFL last week, I thought Taylor had improved his defensive work. Credited with four tackles I think. I saw him at Brunswick st the week before and he his body is starting to fill out. He looks stronger.

McStay is a concern but who takes his place as a big bodied key forward in contested situations. IMO no one is ready in the twos. YES you could give a few young guys a try but we still need to build a structure and process. Mc Stay has shown he can do this particularly when we break even in the midfield.

People only defend Lester because his father posts on this board. Oh no that’s someone else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back