2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Has he earnt one? How often is he regularly in the bests?
Quite often ... has been really good so far and is a developing player. I can liken Hinge to another player who was on our list who we didnt really give a go over his 2 or 3 years and eventually traded him to collingwood... jack crisp. Dont want to see Hinge go elsewhere for opportunity and turn his potential into something we should have developed better ala jack crisp.

Quite often ... has been really good so far and is a developing player. I can liken Hinge to another player who was on our list who we didnt really give a go over his 2 or 3 years and eventually traded him to collingwood... jack crisp. Dont want to see Hinge go elsewhere for opportunity and turn his potential into something we should have developed better ala jack crisp.
Now that you mention it he does play a similar style game to Jack Crisp, I agree that he needs to get a go this year in the seniors. On Crisp IIRC he was tracking nicely and just starting to come good at the back end of his final year with us.

Now that you mention it he does play a similar style game to Jack Crisp, I agree that he needs to get a go this year in the seniors. On Crisp IIRC he was tracking nicely and just starting to come good at the back end of his final year with us.

He did lose a spot in their midfield at Collingwood even before Beams came back. Not sure anyone could’ve predicted that he’d be quite a good half back otherwise he might’ve been moved on.

He did lose a spot in their midfield at Collingwood even before Beams came back. Not sure anyone could’ve predicted that he’d be quite a good half back otherwise he might’ve been moved on.
When Jack Crisp went to collingwood in the beams deal they were very optimistic about him being a regular 22 player despite only playing a handful of games and thats coming from inside collingwoods inner sanctum. He wasnt just a steak knife in the beams deal. They targeted him.

Collingwood moved him to halfback because they could see his lock down ability his run and carry his good skill level and his footy brain. Need smart footy brains in the back half. Also collingwood loaded their midfield with treloar and adams to go along with pendlebury sidebottom and co, not a lot of room in there unless you are an absolute premium. Collingwoods talent identification over the last 5 years has been A+. Have built an elite side.

Read somewhere that he has excellent disposal by foot which was the main reason we drafted him

Stephenson
De Goey
Langdon
Treloar
Adams
Mayne
Brown (just in)
Phillips
Roughead
Crisp
Mayne
Howe
Hoskin Elliot
Cox
All in collingwoods best 22 all recruited in the last 5 years either via draft or trade. If we use that as a guide, we are proabably 3 years into our 5 year build. When the chistensons robertsons lesters etc r gone and we have recruited well over next two years we could be an upper echelon team.

Crisp was really solid in the back half of 2014 and it was pretty evident to a lot that he was turning into the exact player that he has now become.

Turning into a gun rebound defender?

Good lord there is a lot of revisionist history on Crisp.

At the time of the trade he had played 14 games for us (don't think many of them if any were in defence), he was out of contract and reportedly was talking to Essendon. Pies fans on here were openly mocking us suggesting him as the steak knives in the deal until it actually happened.

It's to his and Collingwood's credit that he developed into a good player but to say that was clear/obvious at the time is a gigantic stretch. I'm also not convinced that he was really that happy to stay by trade period though I will concede we could probably have signed him up sooner, but he had not shown much to indicate what he turned into.

At the time of the trade he had played 14 games for us (don't think many of them if any were in defence), he was out of contract and reportedly was talking to Essendon. Pies fans on here were openly mocking us suggesting him as the steak knives in the deal until it actually happened.

It's to his and Collingwood's credit that he developed into a good player but to say that was clear/obvious at the time is a gigantic stretch. I'm also not convinced that he was really that happy to stay by trade period though I will concede we could probably have signed him up sooner, but he had not shown much to indicate what he turned into.
I was sad to see him go because at the end of that year, he was showing a large amount of potential. And was showing some of that run that he now possesses!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would stretch the salary cap

Not sure that it would. We had enough cap for both Beams and Neale this year and hardly imagine we've given much for McCarthy and Lyons.

Not sure that it would. We had enough cap for both Beams and Neale this year and hardly imagine we've given much for McCarthy and Lyons.
In theory we need to plan ahead for upgrades though (Jarrod berry next year for example). That said, if someone like a Christensen is moved on this year it probably offsets it somewhat.

In theory we need to plan ahead for upgrades though (Jarrod berry next year for example). That said, if someone like a Christensen is moved on this year it probably offsets it somewhat.

Not to mention Hodge retiring, maybe Stef as well. Bastinac out of contract at years end on reasonable coin too.

Yer, I think Stef should give it away at the end of this season, time to hand the baton over to The Big O and Archie. We have Ballenden that can be a back up ruck and if we still think we're short in that area use a late draft selection/rookie spot on the best state league ruck we can find.

Beams was heavily front ended and I’m assuming Billings will get big ($800k +) offers.

Yer, I think Stef should give it away at the end of this season, time to hand the baton over to The Big O and Archie.
Jon Ralph reported last week that both Stef and Dan McStay were close to inking new deals, so provided he's on the money, it is unlikely that'll be happening; Stef retiring that is.

We jave been talking about crisp because of similarities to hinge.... and for the record crisp averaged nearly 20 touches a game as a 20 y.o. for us when he got moved in the trade to collingwood. He showed plenty of potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back