Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That is correct, higher protein diet, resistance training and small calorie deficits are the best way to minimise muscle loss.
It may also explain why natural bodybuilders often talk about taking extended time away from competition. Calorie deficits and lack of steroids probably means muscle loss that you can't catch up on between shows.

While I'm a huge dead lift enthusiast, never was a big fan of squats. Probably because it irritates one of my knees.

I stopped squatting, I went heavy on 2 variations of leg press (plate loaded) instead. Simulated squat depth (unlike most people on these machines), legs shoulder width, feet slightly angled. 2 years in I've gotten much better quad development. I have the confidence to go harder without concern of my back / knees.

I dispute that I'm missing out by dropping squats too, know why? Several times I've returned to do a squat routine instead, expecting to get horrid DOMS... never happens. If squats hit something the leg press wasn't, I'd feel it. And I get just awful leg DOMS, even if I miss 1 week and leave a 2 week gap between leg workouts, sitting on and getting off the toilet is :mad:

Just my experience but something to consider.

Our leg machines are s**t.

I am progressively finding these squat weights harder and harder to do. Tried today and have to keep dropping weight each time. Front squats and Zercher's are still fine, but my back squats are ****ed. My legs are getting bigger though, and getting muscle development in new areas. This could be due to my weight loss as well maybe ;)

I am convinced its my calorie deficit though that is halting my leg progress

I am progressively finding these squat weights harder and harder to do. Tried today and have to keep dropping weight each time.

Could be a reduction of calories / energy, yep. If you've just started reducing food intake to lose weight, it's important to eat the right food to fuel yourself. Whole grains, eggs, bananas, etc. Stuff that your body doesn't burn up quick or disregard.

Do you do any other compound leg movements throughout the week, on a different day? I do dead lifts 3 days after my leg routine, they go well hand in hand for strength building.

Could be a reduction of calories / energy, yep. If you've just started reducing food intake to lose weight, it's important to eat the right food to fuel yourself. Whole grains, eggs, bananas, etc. Stuff that your body doesn't burn up quick or disregard.

Do you do any other compound leg movements throughout the week, on a different day? I do dead lifts 3 days after my leg routine, they go well hand in hand for strength building.

Just curious as to what food your body disregards?

I'm doing PPL with a 5 day split. So I'm doing legs every 4/5 days.

I'm doing PPL with a 5 day split. So I'm doing legs every 4/5 days.

If you’re in a calorie deficit I’d only train 3-4 days a week max, with a program that relies less on volume within any individual session and more on frequency of stimulus eg hitting up legs 2-3 times a week but doing less weekly volume than you are now.
Any more and you’ll be (literally) wasting away muscle unless you’ve got your calories dialled in really well.

Just curious as to what food your body disregards?

Don't take me literally but - high sugar, high processed, high sodium, low nutrient food. The body will get little value from low substance food, you'll need to eat more of it to maintain energy levels, in which case you'll consume more calories and put on more weight / put the body under stress to remove it.

If people diet by reducing calories (food amount) but maintain the same types of foods, it makes perfect sense that they'd feel a loss of energy. In fact eating the right types of wholesome, nutrient rich foods means intermittent fasting is very doable - this works great for a lot of people.

Bottom line, you'll have a hard time reducing weight, while feeling good working hard in the gym / exercise if the body is fed crap. It doesn't work that way.

If you're someone who doesn't gain weight easily you can get away with a higher calorie diet, the lucky folk... though normally hard gainers.

Last edited:
Don't take me literally but - high sugar, high processed, high sodium, low nutrient food. The body will get little value from low substance food, you'll need to eat more of it to maintain energy levels, in which case you'll consume more calories and put on more weight / put the body under stress to remove it.

If people diet by reducing calories (food amount) but maintain the same types of foods, it makes perfect sense that they'd feel a loss of energy. In fact eating the right types of wholesome, nutrient rich foods means intermittent fasting is very doable - this works great for a lot of people.

Bottom line, you'll have a hard time reducing weight, while feeling good working hard in the gym / exercise if the body is fed crap. It doesn't work that way.

If you're someone who doesn't gain weight easily you can get away with a higher calorie diet, the lucky folk... though normally hard gainers.

Body doesn’t disregard food, but yes crappy food is like fueling your car with E10 not premium.

You want to lose weight calories are key.

The lower back is such a pain in the arse area of the body, something went wrong in the evolution process there, it has been fantastic since I've been doing Bikram Yoga for the last 9-10 months, yesterday I bent over to pick up some shoes while vacuuming and threw it out, hurts like bloody hell about 2 inches to the side of the spine right on the bony part.

I've always thought best to keep moving it if the pain is not too sharp or bad, I'll struggle along to Yoga this morning and do as much as I can manage.

I've been having a stiff back for a couple of weeks. Picking dumbbells up is a nightmare.
I went to Yoga and did most of the postures OK and modified a couple and sat out one, it felt a lot better straight away so I waited till I cooled down to make a full judgment. Did cold and warm packs all day and it's feeling about 80% of normal now, glad I decided to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once I get started, it's fine. It's just getting to the point of working out. Last set I tried picking up plates...hobbling on my knees like an old man. Not sure how I did it

Given how many arguments I get into about running’s shoes I’m surprised I’ve never seen this study before.
Sample size could use a zero attached on the end and duration could be longer to give the results more statistical power but overall it’s not bad.
Cliffs: no difference in injuries per km run between barefoot (6 months+ experience) and shoe.
Barefoot experienced more foot/ankle injuries while shod experienced more knee injuries.
Practical takeaway: if you have knee issues then run bare feet/minimalist while if you have bad feet/ankles run in shoes!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26130697/

Been getting increasingly into yoga recently, started with classes for the management team at work and I’ve now done probably 10 classes with 3 different instructors. Absolutely love it

If they sold a pill that could give me the post yoga zen feeling/state of mind, I would be a full blown addict.

Been getting increasingly into yoga recently, started with classes for the management team at work and I’ve now done probably 10 classes with 3 different instructors. Absolutely love it

If they sold a pill that could give me the post yoga zen feeling/state of mind, I would be a full blown addict.
I'm 59 years old and been into Hot Yoga for a while now, I've always been active but it's the most satisfying exercise I've ever done. Couldn't agree more on zen feeling/state of mind.

A fallacy out there is you need to do a relaxation or low intensity style of exercise to get this feeling. You don't. Same goes with meditation. You don't need to sit there, eyes closed, silent, legs crossed, thumbs touching index fingers to release anxiety. Some do, not all.

Everyone is different, but THAT feeling is what ultimately gets people going back again, and again I believe. Some (like me) prefer higher intensity to feel it. Yes, it's addictive. It's important for people to figure out what works for them.

A fallacy out there is you need to do a relaxation or low intensity style of exercise to get this feeling. You don't. Same goes with meditation. You don't need to sit there, eyes closed, silent, legs crossed, thumbs touching index fingers to release anxiety. Some do, not all.

Everyone is different, but THAT feeling is what ultimately gets people going back again, and again I believe. Some (like me) prefer higher intensity to feel it. Yes, it's addictive. It's important for people to figure out what works for them.
I get a euphoria (not every time necessarily) from other forms of exercise both aerobic and anaerobic but nothing compares to the zen, calming and cleansing sensation I get from Yoga. Whilst what I've been doing has been primarily beginner stuff there's certainly parts of it that are strenuous (getting accustomed to doing the downward dog position was pretty straining on my shoulders) but I believe it's the breathing element of yoga that is what gets me to achieve the zen state.

Dropped about 4-5kgs (I'm slightly overweight) by making better choices, gymming and playing footy. Then got gastro, extremely sick, the flu and dropped even more weight. First night back at the gym in 3 weeks was tonight. I haven't been sick for a bit now but extremely lacking in energy and motivation. I look pale and withdrawn in the face. Work has been smashing me lately too and am legitimately cooked from it.

My workout was pathetic. Footy training tomorrow night to hopefully get back into the swing of things after skipping that for 3 weeks too.

Someone suggest something.

Dropped about 4-5kgs (I'm slightly overweight) by making better choices, gymming and playing footy. Then got gastro, extremely sick, the flu and dropped even more weight. First night back at the gym in 3 weeks was tonight. I haven't been sick for a bit now but extremely lacking in energy and motivation. I look pale and withdrawn in the face. Work has been smashing me lately too and am legitimately cooked from it.

My workout was pathetic. Footy training tomorrow night to hopefully get back into the swing of things after skipping that for 3 weeks too.

Someone suggest something.
keep making good choices.
eat well, prioritize sleep.
dial down the intensity in the gym or maybe take a complete break.
adjust your expectations so they're more in line with your current status.
reasses in a few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back