Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

Sample seems to have dried up a lot, I used to see it a lot and drink it a fair bit back in 2016. Pretty decent beers.

I feel like their core range is a bit too obvious though and they rarely seem to trot out any small batch stuff. They don't sell to Dan's or Coles either fwiw. These days you need to be in those stores or you need to be getting the disposable-income beer drinkers to become proper fans who'll eat up your seasonals and one-offs.

They'd be spewing though, the 3/4 IPA (which I didn't mind at all, made-up name aside) looks exactly like the absolute dross CUB are chucking out with Frothy.

sample_brew34_IPA__63677.1469084138.500.659.jpg

804413-1.png
The issue with being a supplier for Dans, especially as a small brewer, is you take on all the risk for very little reward. Unless you have a huge marketing budget then it really isn't worth the risk for most craft brewers. As a startup you really do need to have a unique physical location where people can come to eat and drink to even think about having a crack at owning a brewery now. And a sh*t tin of capital.

The issue with being a supplier for Dans, especially as a small brewer, is you take on all the risk for very little reward. Unless you have a huge marketing budget then it really isn't worth the risk for most craft brewers. As a startup you really do need to have a unique physical location where people can come to eat and drink to even think about having a crack at owning a brewery now. And a sh*t tin of capital.
What about someone like Wilson’s or even Boston from down south?

I know Wilson’s turned down a massive offer for some big company to be even a bit part owner. But these breweries are sold in Dan’s but only in WA. I’m pretty sure Otherside is the same, a mate in Melbourne has never seen them.

Surely there’s a middle ground?

Balter_Captain_Sensible__97672.1536210968.1280.1280.png

Was driving so thought I'd have a couple of pints at this (3.5%) at the pub watching the footy yesterday. Nearly threw up in my mouth. Have been cursed by the beer gods.

Got a 4 pack of this while I was coincidentally high at the market. Not too bad for an 8% beer. How high can you go before the taste is ruined? Like most Australians, I'm not used to higher percentage beers.

Garage_Project_Pernicious_Weed_DIPA_330ml_Can__66530.1521678911.500.440.png

Got a 4 pack of this while I was coincidentally high at the market. Not too bad for an 8% beer. How high can you go before the taste is ruined? Like most Australians, I'm not used to higher percentage beers.

Garage_Project_Pernicious_Weed_DIPA_330ml_Can__66530.1521678911.500.440.png

Pernicious weed is the gold standard for Double IPA's. Just I dont have time to explain how good it is. Yes it will shread your tastebuds and throw you in a gutter. You'll wake up feeling like you just licked a raw hop Plant. Then you will come back for more. I've traveled through the US, Europe, on specifically a brewery USA tour. Still my gold standard for Double IPA's.

8% is perfect for the bitterness of that beer. Honestly % of alcohol if it's a well made beer you will never notice the %. Maybe Check if you need to drive however
imagejpg_341f767e-b439-4c23-a1df-a75b34049d1d_525x700.jpg

Had this on tap at The Alehouse in Brunswick East, awesome beer but hard to describe. One of the best Black IPA's I have ever had.

Bad Shepherd are a weird one for me. I accidently trashed some of their beers infront of one of the brewers. Think their IPA is average. Their Hazlenut brown ale is solid as hell. For every beer they make which i dont like they'll bring out some banger

Anyways. Picked up
AGAINST THE GRAIN BREWERY
Bo and Luke Barrel aged smoked Bourbon Barrel Stout
MODERN TIMES
hazy Pale
TOPPLING GOLIATH
King Sue
Pompeii Pale
CENTRAL STATE
Butterfly Kisses saison W hibiscus
New money IPA
Rocky Ridge
Ryse Against
IPA

Those 3 American beers have all been cold shipped/cold freighted to WA. The Central state stuff was brilliant last time i tried. I had the Pseudo Sue last time the company did a small buy/cold freight and it was banging. However unfortunately due to cold freight form the US brewery to the bottleshop, Each can ends up being about 10 Bucks a pop.

W/Being a former rep i did get a slight discount, But pricey stuff.

Pernicious weed is the gold standard for Double IPA's. Just I dont have time to explain how good it is. Yes it will shread your tastebuds and throw you in a gutter. You'll wake up feeling like you just licked a raw hop Plant. Then you will come back for more. I've traveled through the US, Europe, on specifically a brewery USA tour. Still my gold standard for Double IPA's.

8% is perfect for the bitterness of that beer. Honestly % of alcohol if it's a well made beer you will never notice the %. Maybe Check if you need to drive however

Bad Shepherd are a weird one for me. I accidently trashed some of their beers infront of one of the brewers. Think their IPA is average. Their Hazlenut brown ale is solid as hell. For every beer they make which i dont like they'll bring out some banger

Anyways. Picked up
AGAINST THE GRAIN BREWERY
Bo and Luke Barrel aged smoked Bourbon Barrel Stout
MODERN TIMES
hazy Pale
TOPPLING GOLIATH
King Sue
Pompeii Pale
CENTRAL STATE
Butterfly Kisses saison W hibiscus
New money IPA
Rocky Ridge
Ryse Against
IPA

Those 3 American beers have all been cold shipped/cold freighted to WA. The Central state stuff was brilliant last time i tried. I had the Pseudo Sue last time the company did a small buy/cold freight and it was banging. However unfortunately due to cold freight form the US brewery to the bottleshop, Each can ends up being about 10 Bucks a pop.

W/Being a former rep i did get a slight discount, But pricey stuff.
LOL we just got the Forward Hops delivery here in Perth and I have pretty much picked up the exact same bers as you. Really looking forward to the Bo and Luke Stout. I also picked up a Modern Times Black House Nitro.

Did you try the Founds CBS Imperial Stout? Phwoar it was a big boy at 12%

LOL we just got the Forward Hops delivery here in Perth and I have pretty much picked up the exact same bers as you. Really looking forward to the Bo and Luke Stout. I also picked up a Modern Times Black House Nitro.

Did you try the Founds CBS Imperial Stout? Phwoar it was a big boy at 12%
Yeah the CBS is a baller. Mane Liquor still had one bottle left when i went in. However i did spend over 100 bucks so i couldnt justify getting another one. I should of. I grabbed one a couple of weeks ago in Dunsborough which was last years batch.

My mate told me that Modern times Nitro Stout is great. Perfect weather for it. Probably on the hit list next week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone recommend some good affordable-ish stouts?

Really got the taste for them at the moment, that time of year.

you must remember what is a good tasting stout to me may not be for you and vice-versa
my favourite at the moment is Coopers extra stout @ $21(375ml)
a little bit pricey...but at 6.3% its not bad
i usually have 3 of the 6 at any one time
so $10.50
realy good.....

you must remember what is a good tasting stout to me may not be for you and vice-versa
my favourite at the moment is Coopers extra stout @ $21(375ml)
a little bit pricey...but at 6.3% its not bad
i usually have 3 of the 6 at any one time
so $10.50
realy good.....
Yeah Coopers Extra is my go to lately. Dan Murphys has 4 longnecks for $20 at the moment.

Also enjoy the 4 Pines Stout and the White Rabbit Dark Ale.

Yeah Coopers Extra is my go to lately. Dan Murphys has 4 longnecks for $20 at the moment.

Also enjoy the 4 Pines Stout and the White Rabbit Dark Ale.

you just reminded me...thanks champ
the white rabbit dark ale...i use to really like this one
might have to get recquainted

Got a canimal of the Nowhereman Noir de Garde - Bloody delicious in this cold weather.

I'm extremely jealous of people in Melbourne at the moment that get to attend the GABS Festival.

Anyone know the scoop for this new Coopers XPA?

Kind of a shame if you ask me. I don’t like the category. It was cool how Coopers had a simple range of dependable beers and they all suited a purpose and there was no mess in the lineup.

Now there’s this session ale and an XPA. Surely an IPA would be your last one?

It’s launching at a beer festival and it says it’ll be available June or July. Will it be on a lot of taps? Will it be in bottle shops?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Picked up a bottle of Against the Grain Bo & Luke which I’ll open tonight. I’ve was told it’s better than the Founder’s KBS which is a big call. Also picked up a can of the Balter Handsome Elvis to try.

Holgate_Temptress_Chocolate_Porter__63188.1521604672.500.440.png

Add this to the list of beers that are noticeably different on tap vs bottled. A solid, albeit "safe" Porter.

Picked up a bottle of Against the Grain Bo & Luke which I’ll open tonight. I’ve was told it’s better than the Founder’s KBS which is a big call. Also picked up a can of the Balter Handsome Elvis to try.
Yep. Got my bottle waiting, have been a bit ill so i avoided any alcohol Since thursday.

TheWreck_ProductPage.png

The world’s oldest surviving beer – made new! The James Squire brewers have resurrected, then tamed a 220-year-old shipwreck yeast.

Has anyone come across this in a bottle shop yet? Speaking of GABS, I remember trying it last year and they said it was going to be available at some stage but can't see I have ever seen it.

edit* - It sold out and is now selling on Ebay ranging from $500 - $1000 dollars (was $50 a bottle) :think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back