Traded 2018 Live Trade: Carlton trade #4 (2019) to Adelaide for #19 (2018) and #9 (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

In round 4 Richmond had on average 74 games experience. Yesterday Carlton had an average of 70 games experience. One side beat a top 8 team on the road. The other got thumped by nearly 100 points.

Richmond also had 7 players aged 21 or under to Carltons 11. Richmond also had 9 players with over 100 games experience to Carlton's 4

Not worried about draft points and whether SOS rated Sticker higher than everyone else, I'm asking in your opinion if you'd do that again?

To me, I'd much rather have pick one in this draft.

Im giving you an answer + rationale. Obviously you don't like rationale as it makes it harder for you to frame the answer in the way you want to.

So effectively this is looking like trading pick 1 for 19 and 12 roughly if we use right now as a snapshot?

This is why Carlton are broken.

We’d also be wrong if we just went to the draft and selected another kid. There is no winning.

Hopefully we trade Adelaides first pick for a gun mid, or a dangerous half forward.

Assuming we agree that Stocker is top 6 draft pick material and the Crows finish where they are now, the question is would I trade pick 6 and 12 for pick 1. Yes I would. Draft points value in Carltons favour but importantly, we secure 2 quality players rather than one, which in our position of having a relatively high amount of young superstars but lacking quality in certain roles, is the right choice.
All I can say is that I hope there is a player left on the board at Pick 19 in this year's draft that Carlton think is a top 6 player so the Crows can do this trade again this year.

All I can say is that I hope there is a player left on the board at Pick 19 in this year's draft that Carlton think is a top 6 player so the Crows can do this trade again this year.

Players picked at 19 are much rmoe likely to be Boekhurst than the best player in the draft.

I love the saltiness towards Carlton here.

When we have high draft picks = "its not about draft picks, its about your recruiters and how the players are developed yada yada yada"

When we don't have high draft picks = "its all about draft picks"

lol

I love the saltiness towards Carlton here.

When we have high draft picks = "its not about draft picks, its about your recruiters and how the players are developed yada yada yada"

When we don't have high draft picks = "its all about draft picks"

lol
No saltiness towards Carlton for me. Would trade with them again.

Crows have given us 4 first rounders in the past 2 off seasons.
Yes. I'm unsure what your point is.

Actually, that isn't quite correct. The picks were traded in exchange for things. For example, 2 of those first rounders were traded to Carlton in exchange for a Carlton first round pick, which is looking to almost certainly be a top 3 pick, and possibly pick 1.

Last edited:
If the blues got their 6th preference with pick 19 maybe with pick 12 they could get their around their 6th preference again.

So it would be picks 6 and 6 for pick 1...

I’m not being serious BTW
Maybe the player they rate highest in 2019 will slide to pick 12? Then it would be pick 1 (2019) and pick 6 (2018) for pick 2 (2019).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming we agree that Stocker is top 6 draft pick material and the Crows finish where they are now, the question is would I trade pick 6 and 12 for pick 1. Yes I would. Draft points value in Carltons favour but importantly, we secure 2 quality players rather than one, which in our position of having a relatively high amount of young superstars but lacking quality in certain roles, is the right choice.

I'm not sure anyone agrees that Stocker IS pick 6 material, do they?

This feels like something said afterwards, when there's regret around a decision. A way to try and convince yourself you've done the right thing.

I can't imagine ANY team had him as a top six player. Even Carlton SURELY could have only meant top 6 midfielder?

I'm not sure anyone agrees that Stocker IS pick 6 material, do they?

Why do you think Carlton needs anyone to agree with them?

And you don't know where any other club rated Stocker. This has been covered countless times already.

This feels like something said afterwards, when there's regret around a decision. A way to try and convince yourself you've done the right thing.

Carlton said it on draft night. You surely don't really think the club regretted it on the night?

That's some serious tin-foil hat stuff right there.

I can't imagine ANY team had him as a top six player. Even Carlton SURELY could have only meant top 6 midfielder?

Why?

Because he didn't appear top 6 in any mock draft you'd seen leading up to the draft?

Rightly or wrongly Carlton rated him top 6. And whether that's right or wrong won't be known for a long time.

we love trading with the crows

Not sure why you should.

You gave us Gibbs for pick 10 and some pick upgrades. Meanwhile you pick O'Brien - who doesn't look like music of a success - and your team collapses, largely due to lack of senior experience.

You would have been better keeping Gibbs. You would have been better not giving us a top three pick for picks 12 and 19.

Now Stocker has the added pressure of costing pick number 1. He will feel the need to play that well.

Look, it wasn't a totally silly risk Carlton took. Two first round picks for one. I recon it would have worked out half the time. Did they really need to though?
If I were Stocker I'd leave ASAP. No point having your career ruined by the internal pressure, request a trade after two years and go off to a club that's only given up a second rounder for you.

Why do you think Carlton needs anyone to agree with them?

And you don't know where any other club rated Stocker. This has been covered countless times already.

You get to pick 19 by multiple clubs having opportunities to draft you - or trade a pick to get you - and by them turning you down and choosing someone else. It's pretty clear where clubs rated him.

Carlton said it on draft night. You surely don't really think the club regretted it on the night?

Look, it seemed like a stupid trade on draft night. SOS was already trying to justify it, by saying things like "we could finish higher than the Crows". He was already being interrogated about a trade that shocked the entire football industry. He was already so defensive and deep in self-justification, it's hard to know WHERE the truth is.

Why?

Because he didn't appear top 6 in any mock draft you'd seen leading up to the draft?

Rightly or wrongly Carlton rated him top 6. And whether that's right or wrong won't be known for a long time.

A long time? No, you'll know within 72 months. The fact that he wasn't mentioned by recruiters either on or off the record in the leadup to the draft is not promising.

Think you are having a bit each way here , Let me ask you this question

Would you trade Sam Walsh for Jye Caldwell/Bailey Smith plus Liam Stocker ? because you could have but didnt

You get to pick 19 by multiple clubs having opportunities to draft you - or trade a pick to get you - and by them turning you down and choosing someone else. It's pretty clear where clubs rated him.

Show me where one club other than Carlton rated Stocker.

If it is so clear, surely one example won't be too difficult for you?

Look, it seemed like a stupid trade on draft night. SOS was already trying to justify it, by saying things like "we could finish higher than the Crows". He was already being interrogated about a trade that shocked the entire football industry. He was already so defensive and deep in self-justification, it's hard to know WHERE the truth is.

Looked fairly obvious to me he was being facetious with that answer, given the line of questioning came when so much was unknown.

If you genuinely believe Silvagni thought we were a chance to finish above Adelaide in 2019, I would suggest it is not Silvagni acting out of stupidity.

A long time? No, you'll know within 72 months. The fact that he wasn't mentioned by recruiters either on or off the record in the leadup to the draft is not promising.

We won't know in 72 months. You've pulled that out of nowhere.

And the "fact" you have put forward is not a fact. You're across what every club recruiters says behind closed doors are you? Spare me please.

Look, trading future picks is a new thing and it always takes something stupid for clubs to learn.

In the NBA the Grizzlies end up trading pick #2 in one of the greatest drafts in history for a role player due to negligence with future picks. The Nets traded 3 high first round picks for a year of Paul Pierce and Kevin’s Garnett.

The point being of you are s**t, you should not be taking risks. Very hard to get unprotected first round picks in the nba now after the Nets trade, I imagine the same thing will happen now in the AFL. Unfortunately for Carlton they had to be the disaster the AFL needed.

Show me where one club other than Carlton rated Stocker.

If it is so clear, surely one example won't be too difficult for you?

Looked fairly obvious to me he was being facetious with that answer, given the line of questioning came when so much was unknown.

If you genuinely believe Silvagni thought we were a chance to finish above Adelaide in 2019, I would suggest it is not Silvagni acting out of stupidity.

We won't know in 72 months. You've pulled that out of nowhere.

And the "fact" you have put forward is not a fact. You're across what every club recruiters says behind closed doors are you? Spare me please.

Adelaide rated him less than the distance between the 2 picks next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back