Next ALP Federal leader?

Remove this Banner Ad

Plibersek just ruled herself out

All coming up roses for Albo. Plibersek no doubt wants to be his deputy (ALP equivalent to Julie Bishop).

I shudder to think what that will look like.

Job protection strategies (Inc tariffs where possible, govt buy Australia only mandates where legal, refuse to recognise non Australian qualifications for trades and professionals)

Reintroduce single desks for Australian commodity exports

Remove payroll tax

Introduce death tax

Remove all federal support of public and private schools in place of vouchers

Remove all tax free status for religious organisations

Outlaw ownership of land by foreign entities, failure to sell resulting in govt confiscation

Outlaw ownership of mining rights to foreign entities, failure to sell resulting in govt confiscation

Take over energy production from the states, and replace aging coal plants with new coal or gas plants

Create a govt owned bank to provide home loans and consumer banking services

Create a govt owned insurance company to provide private health, car, home, etc insurance to consumers

Job protection strategies (Inc tariffs where possible, govt buy Australia only mandates where legal, refuse to recognise non Australian qualifications for trades and professionals)

Remove payroll tax

Introduce death tax

Outlaw ownership of land by foreign entities, failure to sell resulting in govt confiscation

Outlaw ownership of mining rights to foreign entities, failure to sell resulting in govt confiscation

Take over energy production from the states, and replace aging coal plants with new coal or gas plants

Create a govt owned insurance company to provide private health, car, home, etc insurance to consumers

So basically a nationalist populist idea. Not sure that works in the current globalisation route we are heading down.
I do like removing payroll tax and vouchers for schools. I'd probably vote for that.

So basically a nationalist populist idea. Not sure that works in the current globalisation route we are heading down.
I do like removing payroll tax and vouchers for schools. I'd probably vote for that.
100%

This election has completely rejected free markets and globalism in return for subsidy and job protection at any cost

That's why the right has to walk away and let the left take over

100%

This election has completely rejected free markets and globalism in return for subsidy and job protection at any cost

That's why the right has to walk away and let the left take over

I think if you uttered to words nationalist at the next Labor AGM you would get convulsions but it would get the interest of a fair few on the right.
I'm still wondering though, does this turn of the century populism actually exist in the Labor ranks in 2019, I dont think it does?

I think if you uttered to words nationalist at the next Labor AGM you would get convulsions but it would get the interest of a fair few on the right.
I'm still wondering though, does this turn of the century populism actually exist in the Labor ranks in 2019, I dont think it does?

It's giving people what they want.

I'd also ban all immigration including family reunion and refugee allotments on environmental grounds, and ban any non Australians from working for any arm of the Australian govt.

If the ALP rinse and repeat, they will lose again

It's giving people what they want.

I'd also ban all immigration including family reunion and refugee allotments on environmental grounds, and ban any non Australians from working for any arm of the Australian govt.

If the ALP rinse and repeat, they will lose again

Old Labor would be something to behold, I certainly think it needs to be resurrected in some form, or as you say, it's curtains.

Old Labor would be something to behold, I certainly think it needs to be resurrected in some form, or as you say, it's curtains.

Old labour if you mean labor of the 80s and early 90s, that's what lost this election

We have to go back to the Labor of Curtin.

When I say old Labor thats what I mean, I did say turn of the century Labor earlier ;)

That Labor is too racist for me

We need to go full nationalist without the stupidity of a white Australia policy. I'd even back lamby on reintroducing national service. Replace Newstart with it. Anyone who doesn't find a job in 12 weeks is signed up to 1 year working as free labour on farms, factories, or govt.

Also to get subsidized Tafe/uni you have to do one year (or pay full rate like the international students yourself)

That Labor is too racist for me

We need to go full nationalist without the stupidity of a white Australia policy. I'd even back lamby on reintroducing national service. Replace Newstart with it. Anyone who doesn't find a job in 12 weeks is signed up to 1 year working as free labour on farms, factories, or govt.

Also to get subsidized Tafe/uni you have to do one year (or pay full rate like the international students yourself)

Taken as a given of course.

I'm not sure the progressive arm will allow this Labor to materialise. But hey it's an idea.

Taken as a given of course.

I'm not sure the progressive arm will allow this Labor to materialise. But hey it's an idea.

You buy them off. Subsized household solar, expand medicare, legalize weed, triple the ABC budget, ban foreign media ownership

Where you see resistance, buy them off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove payroll tax

Introduce death tax

Some of those policies I reckon would be incredibly popular with the voters they lost in QLD in particular:

I just think they are too ideologically possessed to get bought off but I guess everyone has a price.

This election proved that is 100% wrong.

Every policy has to directly benefit

I literally loathe 90% of this, and it can't be my govt, but it's what you need to do to take govt, and putting up another sacrificial lamb from the right won't be enough

Has to be Albanese, with Plibersek out. Bowen has a head that you'd pay money to kick, so there's no way they'd make him the face of the party.

Albanese at least looks like 'one of the fellas', which is a trait that Shorten lacked.

Now Bowen has announced he’s running. So we’ve got Albanese who is further to the left than Shorten, ( which is anathema to most middle of the road voters ), and Bowen who has been totally discredited, and who will cop a fair bit of the blame with his franking credit cash grab. What a gift for the Liberals. One of those 2 is going to be a huge target for the next 3 years.

I like Bowen, Andrew Leigh is the one I would put up if he wanted to run. Like Terri Butler as well
I liked your post because of Leigh. Bowen not so much as Treasurer, most of those rejected policies would have been him so would carry baggage.

Now Bowen has announced he’s running. So we’ve got Albanese who is further to the left than Shorten, ( which is anathema to most middle of the road voters ), and Bowen who has been totally discredited, and who will cop a fair bit of the blame with his franking credit cash grab. What a gift for the Liberals. One of those 2 is going to be a huge target for the next 3 years.

I can't see Bowen winning. I would say he's thrown his hat into the ring to give Albanese a contest. It wouldn't surprise me to see Chalmers nominate and Bowen end up supporting Chalmers at some point during the contest.

Plibersek is probably banking on Bowen or Chalmers winning. As she's from the left faction of the party, she cannot be deputy to Albanese if he wins the leadership, as the right wing of the party won't cop a leader and deputy leader from the left wing of the party.

I like Bowen, Andrew Leigh is the one I would put up if he wanted to run. Like Terri Butler as well

As deputy shadow Treasurer, Leigh would be tainted by the same policies that taint Bowen. Plus he is a policy wonk and would be perceived as being too ivory tower to connect with the voters that the ALP lost in the election.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back