Votes: 15 13.4%
  • Marc McGowan

Votes: 19 17.0%
  • Scamper the Cat

Votes: 78 69.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just offer him whatever he wants. Happy to pay a Clarko levy on my memberships if that's what it takes. If our board haven't approached him yet then they are truly more negligent than they already appear.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Clarko
Or his apprentice Mitchell

We should be able to get 1

Im expecting there will be a sacrificial purge of assistant coaches at year end.
The new coach should be allowed to pick his own team of assistants with approval form the board.

The coach should have been sacked after Round 1. Either Crocker or Tudor would give us similar output, but at least the fans would have renewed optimism.

A full review whilst the caretaker is in place followed by an exhaustive search for a coach who is hungry, adaptive and who has proven sustained success at the lower levels would be my preference, although I do understand the appeal of a CV such as Ratten.

Respectfully – I disagree. Realistically, once it becomes apparent that a coach is obsolete the decision should be made as soon as possible. Our team had 6 months to prepare 22 players to take the field. The fact that we ran a squad out in round 1 with so many players behind in their preparation is an indictment on the club. It is not a sprint and treating any player as irreplaceable is part of the reason we have such an inflexible team. We are too conservative – that’s borne out on field, with selection and as is becoming abundantly clear now – with coaching contracts.

Okay so we don't play Brown, JZ, Taz and Thommo is out.

What is the round 1 side?

Okay so we don't play Brown, JZ, Taz and Thommo is out.

What is the round 1 side?

Taz and Thommo were already out and they knew the condition of Brown & JZ before going into that game. I'm not saying personnel changes would have us winning that game - I'm saying that it was pointless playing such underdone players either way. More than that, the team knew in advance the availability and condition of all of those players. They should have developed a plan to work to the strengths they had left, instead, they did what they always do - back their 22 "best" players no matter their condition.

Taz played. He didn't miss that game but he was very underdone.

But that's 3 players from that side who possibly shouldn't have played and another one already our. 4 big AFL tough bodies that are now missing.

Who would you replace them with?

Remember we had Thompson, Maj, Durdin, Campbell, Xerri, Wright all unavailable for the backline to cover Taz or Brown forward/anywhere on the park and no Jacobs, Garner or Anderson to cover JZ in the middle or up forward either.

So we could have possibly played r1 with Larkey, Ahern, Cam Z and Dec Watson to cover missing Brown, JZ and Taz who were all not ready to play.

Maybe Hayden in there as well.

But can you imagine how much more pissed off people would have been if we'd done that and lost by more? At least one of Hayden and Watson would have to cover Taz and that'd mean 6 new players in the side plus Larkey or CZ who have played about 5 games between them at this point or Paul Ahern.

Okay Ahern (imo) and, with hindsight, Larkey and Cam would have been excellent choices but if you're trying to win r1 then you will decrease your chances by playing even less experience. Read the lead up threads - everyone is going on about how important it is to play those guys (BBB and Taz especially) whether they are ready or not.

It doesn't matter what Scotts does in this scenario he is screwed.

Therefore the Board and Buckley shouldn't be sacking him on the back of that game. They would have looked weak and reactive. And they would have made a bad decision. It might look like a good one with hindsight but at the time it wasn't. It would have been an irrational decision based on an emotional over reaction.

More than that, the team knew in advance the availability and condition of all of those players. They should have developed a plan to work to the strengths they had left...

I do agree with that btw.

But it would have been a bad loss, at least as bad as the one we had and he would have copped more heat for it especially from people here.

There's a slight difference mate.

Clarkson trains young players up in about 10% of the time it takes Scott to do it.
Worpel and Morrison look like seasoned veterans.
How???
Whereas LDU and Ahern are void of any confidence.

That shouldnt be happening. The gap already is large. It’s infuriating.

Last edited:
I do agree with that btw.

But it would have been a bad loss, at least as bad as the one we had and he would have copped more heat for it especially from people here.

We'll never know but in the end it's his and the football department's job to be able to make those tough calls. They rely too much on what they hope to happen, they're gambling addicts.

Just get a North person in ..

Was with a couple of mates last night who barrack for the Aints
Very one eyed and fanatical
The whispers in that part of the world...

Ratten is NOT interested in becoming a senior coach
And wait for it....
They’re already into Brad for next season, talks have commenced *

* please don’t laugh, scream and mock the messenger

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He’d make a great assistant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The new coach should be allowed to pick his own team of assistants with approval form the board.

It's going to be the most important appointment this club has made this century. They have to get it right this time.

It's going to be the most important appointment this club has made this century. They have to get it right this time.

I H8 to be a downer but what faith have we got they will make a good decision? The extension of Brad's contract was the shittest football decision out there

Anyone for Aker? Is a football genius, complete nutjob but would bring some flair to the team. Plus he always wears his heart on his sleave. I'd love to have him as an interim coach for the rest of the year.

Anyone for Aker? Is a football genius, complete nutjob but would bring some flair to the team. Plus he always wears his heart on his sleave. I'd love to have him as an interim coach for the rest of the year.

A "nutjob" sums up why no team at this level will give him a chance. He mentioned last week on "the front bum" that he's been available for awhile but he thinks he's had the line put through his name as his phone doesn't ring despite letting clubs know he has an interest in assistant coaching.

I'll treat this as a serious suggestion.

I don't mind Aker as someone willing speak frankly and risk ridicule. Which makes him an interesting enough character.

Is he someone I want anyone near managing our football team? Hell no.

I'll treat this as a serious suggestion.

I don't mind Aker as someone willing speak frankly and risk ridicule. Which makes him an interesting enough character.

Is he someone I want anyone near managing our football team? Hell no.

Let Crock manage and let Aker do all the coaching stuff. I'll admit it's a boom or bust scenario but the status quo is vanilla. We are verging on irrelevancy with the way we are being "led" atm

Back