VFL 2019 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

‘He can’t kick’ ‘why are we going to pick up an injury bust’ ‘all his marks are against junior opposition, I can’t see him doing it at senior level’ ‘we need smith’. Litterly all the bs 90% of posters were on about this time last year when I was saying we are going to pick maxy as he is once in a generational talent everyone disagreed with me back then and here we are! Not to jinx it but it’s pretty hard not seeing him do that at afl level in the future.. imagine when he is 25 after 7 pre seasons.. triggering bro cheers for the support last year in the draft thread!

25 after 7 seasons & he would’ve already captained the club to a three-peat.

I agree he’s been disappointing but only because I expect more from him. Still been in our best 10 or so players all year so won’t be dropped IMO.
Will never get dropped, will never play that badly that he deserves to be dropped
Is this a question or a rhetorical statement. I'm utterly confused.

Thank * its not just me.

I was just looking at some heights. So Winx is 2cm taller than Benn Brown who seems pretty huge at times.
But he's 4cm shorter than Paul Salmon! Jeez that guy was big. No wonder he used to give us so much grief. Feel sorry for Spud/Shanahan, SOS, Langford and those guys having to play on him. Winx looks faster and more agile, of course and might not have to ruck as much.
Of course 9cm shorter than Mason Cox, but he's sometimes a footballer and sometimes not much of one.

Does anyone know if the King boys are supposed to still be growing taller or have stopped?

I was just looking at some heights. So Winx is 2cm taller than Benn Brown who seems pretty huge at times.
But he's 4cm shorter than Paul Salmon! Jeez that guy was big. No wonder he used to give us so much grief. Feel sorry for Spud/Shanahan, SOS, Langford and those guys having to play on him. Winx looks faster and more agile, of course and might not have to ruck as much.
Of course 9cm shorter than Mason Cox, but he's sometimes a footballer and sometimes not much of one.

Does anyone know if the King boys are supposed to still be growing taller or have stopped?
He's 204 Ben 200.

Appears this week's VFL match Sandy vs Northern Blues is both a Saints curtain raiser and a Channel 7 live broadcast match.

One way or the other, we'll all get a real good look at Winxy

25 after 7 seasons & he would’ve already captained the club to a three-peat.
Im not sure everyone disagreed with you Bro, you have added a touch of mayo onto that bit but yes i wanted Rozee but was more than happy with Max as my second choice :thumbsu:

Given they are identical twins I doubt there's that much difference bw them. A centimeter or so maybe but over an inch and a half is unlikely.
Problem is the measurements are coming from different times and they are still growing.

Maybe one of them doesn't like Vegetables ...my mum always said....................

Given they are identical twins I doubt there's that much difference bw them. A centimeter or so maybe but over an inch and a half is unlikely.
Problem is the measurements are coming from different times and they are still growing.

Seems to change from source to source but I believe at draft time he was measured at 204cm and Ben at 202cm. Apparently both still growing too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lEb0DNS.png

SdKo5oY.png

Here you go, I just put this together

Thanks a heap for that George........now I see what most are getting excited about.

I had my first glimpse at training last Thrursday just as they were wrapping up.

As I posted last week.....Max took a fantastic one handed contested mark on the boundary just in front of the gym at RSEA.

I thought.....WOW.

Then he went back....and slotted a tough shot...again I thought WOW.

It was very similar to that last mark and goal in the highlights package.

Who has done the best for this ? Our club ?
Long was not in the best 15, if he gets a game it is nothing but a gift

Where did he play? Sometimes what a coach wants is different to what the fans want. My son had great games of footy where he got a ton of possessions and kicked goals and missed out on votes, other times he sacrificed his game running with the best opposition mid, he'd get a handful of possessions and get BOG.

He might have tagged their backline rebounder and cut out all their run off half back or something.

Where did he play? Sometimes what a coach wants is different to what the fans want. My son had great games of footy where he got a ton of possessions and kicked goals and missed out on votes, other times he sacrificed his game running with the best opposition mid, he'd get a handful of possessions and get BOG.

He might have tagged their backline rebounder and cut out all their run off half back or something.
I left the ground with 10 minutes to go and my thoughts on Long were that he was a mile off AFL footy, didn't get near it all day and didn't seem to be tagging anyone. just seemed badly out of form to me
Couple of others on here were there also, would be interested in their thoughts

Think most of my thoughts were covered yesterday. To sum up:

Clark - clearly our best for the second week in a row. Smashing down the door for selection. The kid is a jet, and I am dying to see how he goes when played as a genuine mid all game in the AFL. Watching him stream away from stoppages after winning the clearance is a thing of beauty. Unfortunately if he plays next week, I expect it to be on a flank / wing, and for most supporters to want him dropped again after he only gets a dozen touches. He is mid FFS. Its not like we have any elite ones keeping him out of there ...

White - didn't see as much of him this week (as I was following King end to end), but geez his ball use stands out regardless of where you are in the ground. One of only 2 Sandy players that actually hits targets. Insert here the same question most of us have been asking since 2017, "why isn't he playing?"

Absolute daylight to the next best. If anyone else who played yesterday gets picked, it is absolutely not a selection based on form

Coff - looked better this week. Think we are seeing the benefits of him playing the same role for a few weeks in a row (only got pushed into the midfield occasionally but spent most of the game at half back). Was the other player whose ball use and decision making stood out. Still a way off, but big improvement again this week. Please for the love of God leave him there!

Bubbles - solid game as a forward. Still think he is a backman though. Playing an absolutely selfless role, and not sure what else he can do for the team. FYI, constantly bombing it on his head is not a good game-plan (Side note. A big reason we lost was because our backline was too tall and our forwardline was too small. But Gilbo forward and Rice back didn't seem to occur to the coaching staff. People say Ratts has been a huge get for our club. Getting someone like Knights to coach Sandy IMO would have as much - or more - of a positive impact on our long term future).

Longer - beat Z.Clarke comfortably. Think that says more about Clarke than Longer. Did a couple of things around the ground that where okay, but largely played a Longer game. Still a better backup option than Z.Clarke though!

Long - easily the Saints player that had the least impact on the game. Collected a few junk time stats, but looked well off the pace of VFL (let alone AFL). Will probably get picked despite doing SFA

Joyce - a few nice intercept marks. Absolutely worth persisting with as a backman.

Hind - tries really hard and does break the lines. Kicking lets him down though. Shows flashes, but starting to think this is his level. Think a less effective Adam Saad, or a more effective Nathan Wright

Clav - Struggled. Thrown forward very late in the classic "Dawson / Carlisle to the forwardline move." Stats tell me he had 12 touches. Shocked by this! That's okay because he is young and learning. But a fair way off yet.

Armo - cooked

Langlands - Made a few absolute howlers. Will want to improve significantly on that if he wants to stay on the rookie list

As for Winx, what can I say that hasn't been said across the last 8 pages? I know I hardly need to add to the hype, but seriously … get excited!!
If that is what he can do second game back from a knee reco, on severely limited minutes, with terrible (and I mean absolutely horrible) delivery, often being double / triple teamed, often with no other tall forward cover, and with only a handful of touches, then I shudder to think what he can do match-fit and with Bruce and Members as cover. If he puts it all together, this kid is going to absolutely tear games to pieces.

The King is coming …
gringo2011

He seemed to get good feedback from Sammy, albeit they are always couched in such supportive language that it needs a bucket of salt.

I left the ground with 10 minutes to go and my thoughts on Long were that he was a mile off AFL footy, didn't get near it all day and didn't seem to be tagging anyone. just seemed badly out of form to me
I didn’t think he had any impact in the first half (I left at h/time) so unless he came home with a tailwind in the second, I’m not expecting him to be promoted.

Who has done the best for this ? Our club ?
Long was not in the best 15, if he gets a game it is nothing but a gift

He seemed to get good feedback from Sammy, albeit they are always couched in such supportive language that it needs a bucket of salt.
I didn’t think he had any impact in the first half (I left at h/time) so unless he came home with a tailwind in the second, I’m not expecting him to be promoted.
FWIW Sunny, I actually thought Longy was probably better in the first half than the second. Of those 15 stats, he had about 4 of touches in one passage late in the game that ended with him kicking the ball OOF. The other 11 you probably saw most of. Got picked off worse form last year though, and as a few have said above (and I agree) he is almost a certainty to get picked (despite being absolutely anonymous last weekend) because he is one of the favourites.

For those who don't see the games, never pay too much attention to those ratings. The 'best on' decisions for Sandy are usually absolutely bizarre, and have been for years. If you look back through the Sandy threads this is a constant theme, and I think the best explanation I ever heard was that they just find the drunkest person who didn't attend the game and ask their opinion.

Giving Long BOG is the equivalent of giving the 'Hungry Jacks' coaches award to the kid who turns up to training on time every week. Hamills speech must have been something like "Here Longy. Have a free Whopper because you tried really hard and that is what we value." Then everyone shrugs and looks at Clark, who always has to pay for his own Whopper meal despite everyone thinking he is best on ground nearly every week.

Again just my 2 cents and I am sure some disagree (including Hamill apparently), but for me Clark was absolutely best on (for the second week in a row), with White a closeish second (again same as the week before). Then a big big gap to anyone else. Raffle 3-6 between Longer, Coff, Joyce and maybe King or Rice.

Last edited:
FWIW Sunny, I actually thought Longy was probably better in the first half than the second. Of those 15 stats, he had about 4 of touches in one passage late in the game that ended with him kicking the ball OOF. The other 11 you probably saw most of. Got picked off worse form last year though, and as a few have said above (and I agree) he is almost a certainty to get picked (despite being absolutely anonymous last weekend) because he is one of the favourites.

For those who don't see the games, never pay too much attention to those ratings. The 'best on' decisions for Sandy are usually absolutely bizarre, and have been for years. If you look back through the Sandy threads this is a constant theme, and I think the best explanation I ever heard was that they just find the drunkest person who didn't attend the game and ask their opinion.

Giving Long BOG is the equivalent of giving the 'Hungry Jacks' coaches award to the kid who turns up to training on time every week. Hamills speech must have been something like "Here Longy. Have a free Whopper because you tried really hard and that is what we value." Then everyone shrugs and looks at Clark, who always has to pay for his own Whopper meal despite everyone thinking he is best on ground nearly every week.

Again just my 2 cents and I am sure some disagree (including Hamill apparently), but for me Clark was absolutely best on (for the second week in a row), with White a closeish second (again same as the week before). Then a big big gap to anyone else. Raffle 3-6 between Longer, Coff, Joyce and maybe King or Rice.
Long’s Mum did the votes....
The only criticism of Clark I have for his first half on Sunday was his insistence on hand passing into the Beach Road pocket in the 2nd. When we had the wind and the Bombers had been dobbing goals from the square in the 1st.
Not the smartest plays, particularly when he was forward of centre and could easily have taken the ball inside.
But, having said that, he had a lot of the pill.
And there’s not much wrong in that!
PS: did you notice him limping in the first? When he was going to/from interchange.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back