Western Australian State Cricket Team: Treble Winners. Again

Remove this Banner Ad

We love recruiting grandads don't we? Fawad I can live with given his reputation in T20 (and he's better than our last leggie) buy White seems an odd choice.

Some power hitters please

Seems strange to say after being so successful but do we need White’s leadership and guidance now that JL has left (and what does that say of Voges?)
There’s not many vocal leaders in that side from what I can interpret, Turner and Mitch Marsh doing their thing but still relatively inexperienced in elite leadership.

With the Scorchers or Warriors?
I doubt he'd sign with the Warriors unless Agar left. He's pretty much the consensus #3 spinner in all three formats isn't he?

Yeah it wouldn’t make much sense to me either.
I'd honestly have him ahead of Lyon in LO cricket, although I understand why they went with Garry.

Scorchers love their old boys don't they? Linked with White and Ahmed. Ahmed is still a quality T20 bowler but it can all fall apart very quickly at his age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Alex Bevilaqua is off to Tassie, presumably would have been known to Griffiths when he was over here. I felt he was a likely type, but just slightly too far down the pecking order in that it would take the unavailability of 5 or 6 of our pacemen for him to get a chance. So good luck to him and hope he does well.

Western Australia squad: Ashton Agar, Cameron Bancroft, Jason Behrendorff, Jake Carder, Hilton Cartwright, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Sam Fanning, Cameron Green, Jayden Goodwin, Liam Guthrie, Aaron Hardie, Bradley Hope, Josh Inglis, Matthew Kelly, Simon Mackin, Mitch Marsh, Shaun Marsh, David Moody, Lance Morris, Joel Paris, Josh Philippe, Jhye Richardson, D'Arcy Short, Matthew Spoors, Marcus Stoinis, Ashton Turner, Andrew Tye, Sam Whiteman

No Wells or Bosisto, few new rookies . . . that's the quick summary I gained from cricket.com.au

Son, i think.

Yep.

https://thewest.com.au/news/regional/son-of-a-gun-to-sign-with-warriors-ng-b881166780z

I haven't seen him in grade cricket (don't think he's played at all being based in Bunbury with his father still), but as a very very young kid in senior cricket in Bunbury he was clearly up for it.Murray was an absolute legend so hopefully can follow in his footsteps.

Very different approach with going after the youngster Sam Fanning, an 18 year old from NSW. Know nothing about him but apparently very talented. I'm always sceptical, not sure being away from family, support network and grade club is the best way to develop an 18 year old cricketer. Give it two or three years at grade or on the cusp of state level in their home state, then go after them by all means if they're struggling to get the opportunities but yeah just not convinced that this is the best approach. Anyway good luck to him and the WACA, but don't want this to start a precedent.

Yep.

https://thewest.com.au/news/regional/son-of-a-gun-to-sign-with-warriors-ng-b881166780z

I haven't seen him in grade cricket (don't think he's played at all being based in Bunbury with his father still), but as a very very young kid in senior cricket in Bunbury he was clearly up for it.Murray was an absolute legend so hopefully can follow in his footsteps.

Very different approach with going after the youngster Sam Fanning, an 18 year old from NSW. Know nothing about him but apparently very talented. I'm always sceptical, not sure being away from family, support network and grade club is the best way to develop an 18 year old cricketer. Give it two or three years at grade or on the cusp of state level in their home state, then go after them by all means if they're struggling to get the opportunities but yeah just not convinced that this is the best approach. Anyway good luck to him and the WACA, but don't want this to start a precedent.

Wasn’t Ashton Agar recruited in similar circumstances?

Yep.

That's basically what you did with Agar tbf.

True good point, I didn't even consider that. He was tremendous in that initial summer, a real breath of fresh air in the team.

I do fear though that for a player who doesn't immediately break in to interstate level in some form it will be tough. But I don't know the kid or his personality at all, might thrive on the opportunity and adventure of a lifetime - I hope he does.

True good point, I didn't even consider that. He was tremendous in that initial summer, a real breath of fresh air in the team.

I do fear though that for a player who doesn't immediately break in to interstate level in some form it will be tough. But I don't know the kid or his personality at all, might thrive on the opportunity and adventure of a lifetime - I hope he does.

I’m sure WA would’ve done some research on him. And it’s not like Doran where he had the pressure of being the best junior ever or whatever he was hyped up as.

Western Australia squad: Ashton Agar, Cameron Bancroft, Jason Behrendorff, Jake Carder, Hilton Cartwright, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Sam Fanning, Cameron Green, Jayden Goodwin, Liam Guthrie, Aaron Hardie, Bradley Hope, Josh Inglis, Matthew Kelly, Simon Mackin, Mitch Marsh, Shaun Marsh, David Moody, Lance Morris, Joel Paris, Josh Philippe, Jhye Richardson, D'Arcy Short, Matthew Spoors, Marcus Stoinis, Ashton Turner, Andrew Tye, Sam Whiteman

No Wells or Bosisto, few new rookies . . . that's the quick summary I gained from cricket.com.au

WA Main Squad: Ashton Agar, Cameron Bancroft, Jason Behrendorff (Cricket Australia contract), Jake Carder, Hilton Cartwright, Nathan Coulter-Nile (CA contract), Cameron Green, Liam Guthrie, Aaron Hardie, Josh Inglis, Matthew Kelly, Simon Mackin, Mitch Marsh, Shaun Marsh (CA contract), David Moody, Joel Paris, Josh Philippe, Jhye Richardson (CA contract), D'Arcy Short, Marcus Stoinis (CA contract), Ashton Turner, Andrew Tye, Sam Whiteman

Rookies: Sam Fanning, Jayden Goodwin, Bradley Hope, Lance Morris, Matthew Spoors

In: Sam Fanning (Northern Districts, NSW - rookie), Jayden Goodwin (Colts Cricket Club, Bunbury - rookie), Aaron Hardie (contract upgrade), Bradley Hope (Claremont-Nedlands - rookie)
Out: Alex Bevilacqua (Tasmania), William Bosisto (delisted), Tim David (delisted), Clinton Hinchliffe (delisted), Jonathan Wells (delisted)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back