Prediction New Club Logo

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel a big mistake was having 4 colours, well the 4th being teal. Should have only been black white and grey (silver) but grey looks stronger. Black and silver prison bars right from the start. Silver and black pb away guernsey. noone would have an issue being called the power from 97 if we retained the look and feel of the Maggies through the pb design.
Having a multitude of different abstract meaningless jumper designs, different colours, and looking like a soft sturt side in a fking pale blue - teal colour hurt us much more than anyone would care to admit.

Don't need a new joint logo, retain the magpie (it pisses our enemies off) for the sanfl, drop the teal and bolted fist from the power logo, make the logo the current one, black and white pb with power written in silver, simplify that. get the prison bars back. Use teal as minimal as possible, flashes of it looks good on some merch.
Time for a strong bold tough PAFC again. Not a wishy washy soft mishmash.

Teal has to be the worst colour any club is using. We should have dropped it long ago.

You know even if we did add different colours to the WP jumper, they would still oppose it. Isn't the whole "you can have PB just not black and white" a new excuse they've come up with recently?
port22.jpg port222.jpg

Teal is fine used sparingly. We have one of the best jumpers in the league right now and the crowd looks great, especially at night games. I don't get the hate for it.
Our whole aesthetic is better than 95% of the rest of the league.

Why would we use pink when Magentas is a piece of heritage just waiting to be re-used

Well Pink was actually used 1877 – 1882, just prior to Magenta.

I’d actually be a big fan of using the all pink strip of that era as a clash jumper. The grey vs Collingwood did nothing to distinguish our clubs and is a bit ho-hum.

We could use it much in the way Juventus and Palermo do with Black and White.

Last edited:

Too many words on the last 2 pages post more PNGs farken.

My strongest reaction to the Power nickname back when it was announced was 'thank * they didn't go with Pirates'.
I'll never love it but nothing will ever resonate with me like the magpie I grew up with. But that wasn't and will never be an option. I've spent 20 years trying to think of a better alternative and haven't been able to. Any change now will be pointless

I'd heard something similar.

I've heard two different things re the PBs at that time. I can't vouch for the accuracy of these, but this is what I was told.

1) There was a number of early stage design options presented that were a re-colouring of the PBs and they were all rejected by the PAFC board bar one, silver/grey with white bars and black sleeve trim and black collar. This was rejected by the AFL. (this is possibly what PA88 is referring to)

2) Our original home guernsey was an attempt at retaining the 'essence' of the Wharf Pylon design (horizontal split) and the Magpie (wings), which was a key driver from the board. The board as a group of clients were problematic for the process. "Too many cooks spoil the broth" is how it was relayed to me.

This makes a heap of sense. The sort of overall brief that led to the first home guernsey makes me super impressed they managed to balance the logo so well.

uf0nhQz.png

This is probably the best I ever came up with, retaining the rectangle shape of our logo but turning it into a more conventional shield, scrapping the confused lightning fist for just a bolt, and focusing on PORT against a white label as opposed to Power.
Looks like something from the late 80's early 90's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, it's absolutely a thought experiment at this point and certainly miles away from the BringBackTheBars campaign, which I take incredibly seriously.

Agree totally about teal, that was unfortunately a product of it's time. The colour we've settled on compliments black and white incredibly well and I think we've settled into using it really well as a tertiary colour. I think the guernsey that was picked as the Home was easily the weakest of the 3 that were presented at the lasershow.

(Just curiously because you mentioned it earlier, did the AFL bar us from using the Prison Bar design at all, or was it a deliberate decision by the design team? Not saying it's necessarily right or wrong either way given the brief, i'm just interested)

I don't think Power hasn't worked as such, I just think it hasn't worked as well as something else could have. I appreciate the reasons they avoided using something tangible and went with something more abstract, but I think the cost of that was locking us into a fairly weak brand moving forward.

I used to think a lot more about how we could have avoided the identity crisis, but to be honest it was going to be difficult regardless and we've arrived at a pretty good point anyway. I'm actually quite nervous at the prospect of a new logo because I think the revised logo has really stood the test of time, and manages to handle the various things it had to pretty effortlessly when a lesser designer might have come up with the Homer car like that Melbourne logo.

Now, sure. But without the 22 years of brand familiarity that Power has accrued? If we'd gone in as Pirates, we certainly wouldn't have anyone now calling for us to change our nickname to Power. As I said above, we went abstract early to avoid a potential backlash but the result is that we might exist for hundreds of years using that name.
Though China has turned into something of a dirty word until the implementation of the Club’s strategy is taken over by capable hands, I feel the need to mention something relevant to ‘Power’ versus other monikers.

Over the past few years some of us have privately discussed the value of having such a name in China. POWER is a popular and easily translatable word both orally and in Chinese ideograms for the China market. By now we should have merchandise branded with our alleged China registered bilingual moniker all over the place up here and be raking it in from this alternative revenue stream. After all, we have a five-year, as of a year ago, eCommerce partnership with Gui ... don’t we?

I have been harping to the Club - mainly Richo, also AH and KT, haven’t bothered with above-it-all Koch - about international merchandising, and determined international membership promotion, since 2013. Six years.

But no way. Too hard. Shut up and get back to being the sort of volunteer we like, i.e.: evaporate until we call for you to materialise.

I still remember the feeling of disappointment as an 11 year old when after all the buzz about being the Pirates, they came out with 'Port Power'.

Pirates was fish in a barrel stuff, but we'd appointed branding consultants so they had to prove their 'worth' and as is often the case they overthought everything and came up with an inferior option.

As others have noted, if Power and teal were the best options, then their merits and the alternatives wouldn't have been debated every off season for 20 years!

As a 15-16yo who was in dire need of being convinced of what I only came to know later (identity, lineage, the whole nine yards) that unveiling served as the polar opposite.

‘PORT POWER’ pew pew pew!

‘Modern’ guernseys with weird motifs and lightning bolts and the thoroughly of its time Charlotte Hornets teal.

Wouldn’t have been fond of Pirates though. Maybe silver (proper silver, not dull grey) helps shift the needle?

idk

Looks like something from the late 80's early 90's.
My main inspiration was the NBA which has had a rebrand trend lately of going back to 80s roundel logos. Ie Atlanta, Toronto and Milwaukee. Obviously mine isn't a roundel but the idea is the same. Mostly in terms of the logo being modular, the icon and the main text being able to work on their own. Also not cartoony, like the NFL or the Western Bulldogs/North who have logos that were dated immediately.

Outside of a lightning bolt or a fist (lol), our nickname provide much to anchor a logo. I reckon a simple bolt is as good as it gets.

Teal has to be the worst colour any club is using. We should have dropped it long ago.

You know even if we did add different colours to the WP jumper, they would still oppose it. Isn't the whole "you can have PB just not black and white" a new excuse they've come up with recently?
View attachment 677262View attachment 677265
iu

The Woodville Woody Woodpeckers is just the most amusing nickname that went around locally. Somebody down there was either infatuated with Walt Disney cartoons or just taking the piss. Then it got better in terms of having a great laugh when they shortened it to the Woodville Peckers. Who in their right mind would like to call themselves a Pecker? I remember those days fondly.

If I remember correctly I think Blight got them to change to Warriors.

Edit: Walter Lanz not Walt Disney

Last edited:
The Woodville Woody Woodpeckers is just the most amusing nickname that went around locally. Somebody down there was either infatuated with Walt Disney cartoons or just taking the piss. Then it got better in terms of having a great laugh when they shortened it to the Woodville Peckers. Who in their right mind would like to call themselves a Pecker? I remember those days fondly.

If you were a diehard Woodville fan back then, were you a Peckerhead?

Wasn't the Woodville Football Club around long before it entered the SANFL?

Did they call themselves the Woodpeckers before 1959 or did they just come up with it when they joined the SANFL?

Wasn't the Woodville Football Club around long before it entered the SANFL?

Did they call themselves the Woodpeckers before 1959 or did they just come up with it when they joined the SANFL?

Woodville was a founding club in the SAFA which was the pre-cursor to the sanfl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back