Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Averaging 22 touches (can't count last game when he done his hammy first qtr) a game, up from 17 and 4 rebound from 50, up from 2 in 2018.. I'd say that shows he has, he is getting more of the footy and running harder out of the D50. Has clearly gone up a cog
He's still behind his 2017 in fact pretty far behind, he simply cant defend one on one. One contested mark for the year and 8 intercept marks is very poor for a defender, he took 10 and 28 respectively in 2017.

So basically still zero improvement on his 2017 season and a slight blip up from 2018. Not enough to make me regret dispensing with him - particularly if all the stories about his attitude are true.

Putting stats aside, i have thought Burton's performance this year vs 2018 is up a cog. Watching him, his kicking is more direct and less risk averse than last year. He stays longer in contests, more 2nd efforts. He plays tall.

I think once Walker and Kosi get permanent places in our side maybe next year, we will see the master stroke of Wingard, Scully and Scrimshaw on top
Maybe a year early for those two mate. Next year they might debut.

Scully and Scrimshaw already looking fantastic
- (and gotten for nothing!) and Wingard will be great once the injuries cease and fitness returns.

Personally very happy with his showing so far. Yet to put in four quarter efforts, but who has other than McEvoy?? Though don't like to see footage of him sitting in the stands bored/injured. Need to get him out on the park, or he'll turn him into the next Vickery

Putting stats aside, i have thought Burton's performance this year vs 2018 is up a cog. Watching him, his kicking is more direct and less risk averse than last year. He stays longer in contests, more 2nd efforts. He plays tall.

That’s not ‘another level’ - that lends itself to a huge improvement. He’s thereabouts where he was in 2017 from what I’ve seen. This is Jed Anderson all over again - some people cry that we lost him when his perofrmances are extraordinarily average.

That’s not ‘another level’ - that lends itself to a huge improvement. He’s thereabouts where he was in 2017 from what I’ve seen. This is Jed Anderson all over again - some people cry that we lost him when his perofrmances are extraordinarily average.

Errrr Jed is averaging 23 touches, 6 tackles and 5 clearances a game... I would say that is pretty handy. He has taken a long time Jed, but the talent was always there, we are seeing it now.

Errrr Jed is averaging 23 touches, 6 tackles and 5 clearances a game... I would say that is pretty handy. He has taken a long time Jed, but the talent was always there, we are seeing it now.

His stats and performances don't really dispel my comment that he's an average midfielder. Nothing wrong with an average midfielder - not everyone can be an A-grader. His efforts at Norf aren't enough to make me regret him leaving. Worpel already has similar stats and is only in his second year in the system whereas Jed is in his 7th. Sure he's had injuries - but still I don't think he's anywhere near as good as our initial bandwagon wanted him to be.

That’s not ‘another level’ - that lends itself to a huge improvement. He’s thereabouts where he was in 2017 from what I’ve seen. This is Jed Anderson all over again - some people cry that we lost him when his performances are extraordinarily average.
Jed makes North tick, they look incredibly average when he isn't playing. He's as hard at the footy as any player I've seen at Hawthorn from '92-now. Still, he's far from durable so there's no regrets from a hawks point of view. Love watching him play

Jed makes North tick, they look incredibly average when he isn't playing. He's as hard at the footy as any player I've seen at Hawthorn from '92-now. Still, he's far from durable so there's no regrets from a hawks point of view. Love watching him play

Plus he spear tackled me into a fence in junior footy so i'm glad he's gone too

His stats and performances don't really dispel my comment that he's an average midfielder. Nothing wrong with an average midfielder - not everyone can be an A-grader. His efforts at Norf aren't enough to make me regret him leaving. Worpel already has similar stats and is only in his second year in the system whereas Jed is in his 7th. Sure he's had injuries - but still I don't think he's anywhere near as good as our initial bandwagon wanted him to be.

He has some real contested strength inside the contest that would be beneficial for us, Jed would probably be an upgrade on present day Cousins but I think Cousins long term is the better prospect.

Based on statistical output, Jed would surely be a good mid? Hard to argue with his contested numbers and ball winning.

He has some real contested strength inside the contest that would be beneficial for us, Jed would probably be an upgrade on present day Cousins but I think Cousins long term is the better prospect.

Based on statistical output, Jed would surely be a good mid? Hard to argue with his contested numbers and ball winning.
Jed is the opposite of a stat padder, all of his possies are hard earned so when he gets it 23 times they're meaningful touches.
If Cousins becomes anywhere near the player that Jed is currently then he'll be doing very well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could not afford the gamble that JED was at the time. We already had a list full of sketchy seconds and maybe heroes and had to choose between them. There's only so many players you can have on the list and not in the park.

We have just recently (say 2017 on) gambled or carried: Whitecross, TOB, Schoenmakers, Langford, JOR, Birchall, Scully, JOM, Roughead, Rioli, Glass, Nash, Miles, Mohr, Mirra, Ceglar, Vickery, Fitzpatrick, Pittonet, Mitchington - all as maybes or carry or injured or developing project, and we're trying to add full crops of developing kids to this, several of whom are doubtlessly long term project investments themselves. We've probably carried too many rather than too few.

No regrets with JED. Very glad he has made it elsewhere.

Last edited:
Jed is the opposite of a stat padder, all of his possies are hard earned so when he gets it 23 times they're meaningful touches.
If Cousins becomes anywhere near the player that Jed is currently then he'll be doing very well.

I was shattered when he left, I was an unashamed fan and always felt he would make a very good league footballer. He bleeds for his team and literally has hate in his eyes for the oppo, that’s something we severely lack these days. Jed has come a long way, super happy for him.

Cuz has some good attributes but his decision making and contested aspects need improving, of course at present Jed is the better player but I have plenty of faith in Cuz.

Love how Burgoyne is the one to say 'his old side' on behalf of Chad and doesn't acknowledge them as his old side as well.
Burgoyne needs to go around again, he’s an absolute pillar

Who is crying about losing him?

I just have an opinion that Burton's performances have gone up a cog, for the reasons I stated.

"gone up another level", which i didn't say, can be a misleading, what does it mean? All i said was i think he is an improved player this year.

People can also be emotional about not wanting to see Burton do well at Port.

I'm curious, not making a point, but how do those numbers stack up against Worpel & Cousins?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back