History Biggest election upsets in history?

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 SA - Liberals ahead on Newspoll throughout the entire term, win 53% of 2PP against a 12 year-old government. Still lost (I think on shorter odds than Labor were last night)

I still think last night is more unexpected than that, and any others in Australian history.

I didn't see anyone except media outlets carrying on about how good labors chances were. It's you're own fault if your soft headed enough to trust the polls they use. Most people I knew thought it was up in the air and many, including me, expected a liberal win. How much was it really an upset, outside of 90iq journalists who take one look at their Twitter feed and conclude that nobody will vote liberal?

I think last night was a bigger upset than Trump in 2016.

The unpopularity of Mr Shorten may have been larger than Hillary's but given the happenings of the Libs over the last 4 years this should have been a gimme.

I was defeated for 7th Grade Class President. It still hurts after 54 years. :( I think there was collusion betwwen the winner(a girl) and our teacher - a nun. Feminazis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got thinking about this after last night.

93 federal and 99 victoria are both certainly up there

Internationally the 2016 us election and 2018 malaysia also were pretty big shock results

Any others?

As soon as Mahatir (a popular former Prime Minister) became the Leader of the Opposition they were a good chance, particularly as Razak wasn't particularly popular or well-regarded.

Doesn't quite qualify as an upset, but an old-school Labourite like Corbyn shredding May's majority in 2017 came as a shock.

I didn't buy into the polls at all.
I have always thought swinging voters use reason as an assessment. Therefore LNP was always in it.

However I got sucked into the betting agencies.
I believed they were the smart money.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

As soon as Mahatir (a popular former Prime Minister) became the Leader of the Opposition they were a good chance, particularly as Razak wasn't particularly popular or well-regarded.

Doesn't quite qualify as an upset, but an old-school Labourite like Corbyn shredding May's majority in 2017 came as a shock.
I classed it mostly because a) the BN were in power for 60 years, b) it was widely expected they would retain power and c) they brought out the old manipulation tricks (gerrymandering, opposition candidates disqualified for dubious reasons, etc) - yet they still got swept from office

wasn't an upset, it was more of a "he is so far ahead seats wise it will be hard to lose".

Well, where does one end and the other begin?

Losing a supermajority in one term (even in QLD) should be impossible. The ALP were in disarray after 2012; a remotely competent LNP government should have seen them cool their heels for at least the next decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back