Senior Hunter Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

Hunter Clark
29 disposals, five tackles, five marks, one goal
“He was very influential, Hunter. Some of his inside stuff was outstanding and it was pleasing. His transition was really evident both pre and post stoppage, so he was certainly influential for us. Match Committee will play its course and run its course, but clearly there’ll be discussion around Hunter and a number of players.”

Clark is another who hasn’t done a lot wrong this season, putting in a solid performance in his last outing in Round 4 against the Hawks.
With Steven taking an extended break away from football, the youngster has been given first crack at securing a place in Alan Richardson’s midfield.

Hunter Clark
28 disposals, 15 kicks, seven marks

“Hunter we know is going to be a very good player for us. He’s working through a couple of things at the moment just to fine-tune, but he’s a good, strong performer for us. I think games like this are a good confidence boost for him, but we’ve got to remember he’s in his second year. A player that’s in his second-year, he’s going to have his peaks and troughs. It took Seb Ross six years to get there, so we’ve just got to have a bit of patience and hang tough with him. He’s another one though who’s outstanding in the contest and is working on a few things pre and post.”

https://www.saintsmembership.com.au/

Hunter is interesting. At AFL level he does some smart things. He is quite intuitive and natural, but flashes in and out of the game. Maybe just lacks that edge of fitness and strength. But he seems to nail it every time he plays VFL. I watch the comments from watchers during games and lost count of the number of 'too good at this level' compliments thrown his way. .

So, we have a very promising player on our hands who they are nursing through, and hopefully teaching the right way to play. I'm hoping our development will come up trumps this time. He's only just twenty and I look forward to the 23 year old version. Could (and should) be an absolute gun.

Hunter Clark
31 disposals, 14 kicks, one goal

“Hunter was very good in what he was able to produce with hand and foot. He had a fair bit of his speed back, looked good inside, good with his hands and he’s a really good decision-maker, so I thought he performed strongly. His confidence today was where it needs to be and his transition work was solid.”

Don’t Panic !!

Hunter is interesting. At AFL level he does some smart things. He is quite intuitive and natural, but flashes in and out of the game. Maybe just lacks that edge of fitness and strength. But he seems to nail it every time he plays VFL. I watch the comments from watchers during games and lost count of the number of 'too good at this level' compliments thrown his way. .

So, we have a very promising player on our hands who they are nursing through, and hopefully teaching the right way to play. I'm hoping our development will come up trumps this time. He's only just twenty and I look forward to the 23 year old version. Could (and should) be an absolute gun.

I agree with what you say . I think some people expect these kids to become superstars from their first season . They need time to mature and get their bodies right for AFL . Im sure he will become a great player eventually .

Don’t Panic !!

Hunter Clark
29 disposals, 15 kicks, one tackle
“He did well, Hunter, and he’s improving. It’s important that he gives great effort and improves, and it was really good to see him, particularly around the stoppages and in his transition work. He was really strong for us game day and he keeps improving weekly, as we’d expect and hope for. But he’s playing his part well and is another inside mid that was both strong for us and defended well.”

With two votes, Hunter Clark pieced together his best game for Season 2019, picking up 23 possessions and operating at a typically high 87% disposal efficiency.
In what was a chaotic opening 10 minutes, Clark oozed courage and class, as he continually put teammates into space out of nowhere.

Young gun Hunter Clark stormed home in second place thanks to a career-best performance on Saturday night.
The 20-year-old’s clean hands defied the dewy conditions as he racked up a career-high 25 disposals at 88% efficiency.
And perfectly complementing his composure with the ball were his courageous efforts in defence, his game-high nine tackles outshone only by a fearless intercept mark running back with the flight.

17GeSK19DT652954275.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ‘second-year blues’ have derailed many young players following breakout debut seasons.

And Hunter Clark’s mysterious form lapse at the start 2019 showed all the symptoms.

A huge pre-season and a blistering intra-club outing had the No. 11 on course for extended stints in the midfield come Round 1.

But that perfect start never came.

His untimely dip in form and a loss in confidence resulted in the 19-year-old being overlooked for the opening two games of the year.

Three relatively uneventful senior appearances – sandwiched in between another omission – followed, before another stint in the VFL ensued.

And while the St Kilda faithful always knew he’d bounce back, no one could have predicted the impact that the long-haired, headbanded Mount Martha boy would have on the second half of the season.

MORE ON HUNTER CLARK:

18SKWB19MD814289160.JPG

Averaging 20 disposals, five marks and four intercepts per game, Clark has entrenched himself as a core member of the senior line-up in an incredibly short space of time.

His surge up the ranks began against the Lions in Round 13, where the Padua College product was one of the few shining lights in the 56-point defeat.

The purple patch fittingly continued for Maddie’s Match, before a sterling 25-disposal, nine-tackle performance against Geelong marked his best outing as a Saint.

His then career-best effort against the Cats would be knocked off the following week, with his 26 touches, three clearances and two goals crucial in St Kilda’s emphatic victory over the Bulldogs.

190806-stats-comparison-hunter.jpg

His newfound consistency has been seen not only from week-to-week, but within games.

Clark’s best footy would come later in matches in 2018 – largely when the sting had been taken out – but now he’s shown to have a massive impact from the outset.

Tearing off the half-back flank with his long locks in tow and utilising his midfield nous has given himself and his teammates belief.

And while the stats clearly illustrate his rapid rise, it’s Clark's instinctual flair in big moments that has Saints fans most excited.

His class in the final quarter against Melbourne was just a glimpse into the future, with his blend of composure and strength integral in St Kilda’s triumph.

Clark’s 2019 has him emerge as one of the competition’s most promising youngsters; a natural leader, a prodigious talent and a cornerstone of the Saints’ future.

This season has put his name on the map, and ahead of 2020, one thing is clear.

The competition is on notice for the boy from Mount Martha.

Rounding out this week's voting is Hunter Clark, who once again highlighted his emergence as an elite, young talent of the competition.

The 19-year-old Mount Martha product again equalled his career-best 26 disposals, with his class off half-back and evasive skills through traffic on full display against Fremantle.

Had a great finish to the year . Showed his class and skill . Lots to look forward to for next year . Hopefully a lot more time in the midfield as i think he will start to tear teams to bits with his skill and strength .

Had a great finish to the year . Showed his class and skill . Lots to look forward to for next year . Hopefully a lot more time in the midfield as i think he will start to tear teams to bits with his skill and strength .
Imagine if he puts on a few kilos over the summer, barring injury I’d expect him to play all games next season if he plays like he did towards the back half of the year.

Just fr comparrison this year he averaged more disposals then Rayner , Brayshaw , Cerra, Davies Uniake, Stephenson, Dow. It seems he was only really behind Worpal and Kelly for most disposals for his drfat year last year.

Hunter Clark
Career
Games: 29
Disposals:
Games: 14
Disposals:

708954_ll.jpg

Hunter Clark was poised for a huge 2019 right from the outset.
It certainly came, it wasn’t until the second half of the season where the ball well and truly got rolling.
The Mount Martha product was a glittering feature off the half-back line, with the No. 11 averaging 20 disposals, five marks and four rebounds from his 14 games.
His class, evasive skills and composure were always on full display, while his football nous is evidently well beyond his years.
With such excitement in the way he plays, the St Kilda faithful will be hoping his purple patch rolls around into Season 2020.
BEST GAME:
Any one of Clark’s games could feature here, but his 26 disposals and two goals against the Western Bulldogs is hard to look past.

Hamill helps spark Clark’s turnaround
https://www.saints.com.au/news/author/chris-nice

Hunter Clark has credited Aaron Hamill for playing a pivotal role in his second-half resurgence last season. - St Kilda Saints,Hunter Clark

Hunter Clark has credited Aaron Hamill for playing a pivotal role in his second-half resurgence last season.
He started second-guessing himself a little bit, so we had a quick chat about just going out and making it fun – not worrying about what he can’t do…let’s see what he can do.
Aaron Hamill

“Don’t ever wobble on your confidence.”
They’re the words that helped transform Hunter Clark’s 2019 campaign from one of self-exasperation to one of triumph.
And it was St Kilda great Aaron Hamill who was critical in the youngster’s turnaround.
The ex-skipper’s sage advice helped ignite Clark’s eye-catching second half of 2019, following a frustrating beginning which featured just the three senior games.
“I had done well in the practice matches but didn’t play Round 1 and was pretty flat about that, and I didn’t handle it the greatest,” Clark told the Herald Sun.
I went back to the VFL and ‘Sammy’ Hamill, who is a legend, said I just had to go out and have fun.
“Once I got back into the team my confidence skyrocketed.”

675912_ll.jpg

Hunter Clark in action for Sandringham.
It showed.
The Mount Martha product’s sudden upswing turned heads, with his sleekness, composure and evasive skills on full display throughout his 11-game purple patch.
Hamill was a major driver in his resurgence and – as coach of Sandringham and head of St Kilda’s developing pathways last season – played a crucial role in kicking Clark into gear.
All he needed was a nudge in the right direction and a reminder of what was important.
“We know Hunter’s certainly got the talent, but he was probably putting a little too much pressure on himself,” Hamill told saints.com.au.
“He started second-guessing himself a little bit, so we had a quick chat about just going out and making it fun – not worrying about what he can’t do…let’s see what he can do.
“And he can do quite a lot.”

697732_ll.jpg

Hunter Clark starred in the second half of 2019, oozing class and composure at every turn.
The re-energised midfielder averaged 29 disposals across his four games for the Zebras before earning a recall for Round 13 against Gold Coast.
His impressive form saw him lock down a spot for the rest of the year, with starring performances against Geelong (25 disposals), the Western Bulldogs (26, two goals) and Fremantle (26).
And it’s only upwards from here, according to Hamill.
“He’s going to end up having some of the best hands in the comp, so it was good to see that on show in the VFL, and him just enjoying himself,” Hamill said.
“I think fans really like what he’s got, whether it’s off half-back or floating through the midfield.
He’s a competitor and he’s a ripping young fella, so it’ll be really exciting for all Saints fans when he launches into 2020.
Now back into pre-season training and with a solid second season under his belt, the No. 11 has vowed to fulfil Brett Ratten’s inspiring challenge to the younger playing group.
And in 2020, Hunter Clark will make his run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back