Traded Ben Long

Remove this Banner Ad

Love this from the club.
Great move to keep Long engaged, shkw genuine interest in his background, culture and start promoting the Saints up there at the same time.

If they keep doing this sort of stuff I can't see him ever wanting to leave. Maybe they should look at doing similar stuff with out other young players.

Go Saints

Love this from the club.
Great move to keep Long engaged, show genuine interest in his background, culture and start promoting the Saints up there at the same time.
And hey, if it makes any of the locals decide we'd be a good club to play for one day...

He has got a bit of statesmanship about him, our Longy, and I think he has absorbed some of the indigenous leadership persona that his Uncle Michael radiates. I think if he is able to carve out a 10 year career with the Saints then by the end of his playing days he will be able to leverage his platform as an AFL player to be a real beacon to the indigenous community.

I hope the club recognises this and works hard to support him in this role.

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ben Long's preseason was only partially interrupted by a minor foot injury but any doubts about his readiness were assuaged on the weekend with his match-winning cameo at the death.

11 possessions, a handful of assists, a goal, 2 tackles and plenty of pressure acts showed he hasn't lost any of his defensive pressure or his natural attacking flair.

Most would have him in the 22 for round 1, but he's got some competition. Bring it on Benny! It's been a long time.

IMG_9487.JPG

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Longy played in the forward line and through the middle with mixed success in Round 1. Did his bit to get us over the line, kicking a major early and involved in 2 goal assists, but showed poor discipline a couple of times.

Cost us an easy goal to Steven taking a risk right in front of an umpire.

Equal 5th in pressure points (32) and stuck 5 tackles. 8 contested possessions.

Next week could come down to 2 out of Long, Kent and Acres. Hasn't lost any attitude and deserves another run this week, particularly as he usually improves with continuity.

8 of his 12 disposals were contested ones, I think he's one of the best at stopping our opponents getting the ball in the forward line and rebounding it.

Result he gets a goal and a couple of assists. Its kind of interesting , all our forwards Kent, Acres, Lonie , Long and Parker, are very different footballers , but all effective in their own way.

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
May have been dropped for Round 2 due to some undisciplined errors of judgement in our Round 1 win.

Played in the VFL practice match against Essendon and did a few nice things and kicked a goal in the first half but faded in the wet windy conditions.

Played across halfback in the second half but struggled to impact when the game was slipping away.

Hope he doesn't drop his head. Plenty of things to get excited about around the club right now and Longy's an important part of our future.

Friday night's first real VFL game would be a great place to start.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Longy played VFL in the Round 1 loss to the Dogs.

Selected in the forward pocket Ben had 17 disposals and kicked a goal from a juggling mark and set shot.

After the early successes of the firsts, Longy's gonna have to impose himself at this level to get a look in, particularly if he's gunning for a spot in the forward line.

Having suggested Benny lost his place in the team after Round 1 (AFL) due to poor "judgements" I'd like to reassess given further analysis.

According to Richo “we like Longy’s aggression. Every now and again, perhaps he doesn’t quite get that right but by and large that’s a real positive for us. This is more a balance of the team; we just think that with Parker and Lonie, Kent and our want to just be a little bit bigger in front of the ball.

“Longy’s a little bit unlucky there, we’ve had a conversation about what he needs to do to not be the unlucky one going forward, but he’s a terrific player, he’s just committed to us for a while and we’ve committed to him.

“We know he’s going to be a beauty, but he’s only a young fella. He’s only just started his AFL career and coping with non-selection is part of the journey and I’m sure he’ll deal with that really strongly.”

Having had a foot injury during preseason it's also possible his fitness is still building and is perhaps why he's struggling to stay involved late in the games he's played.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ben Long - Took an excellent mark in the 1st quarter running against the flight of the ball to kick the opening goal. Made a big difference when shifted onto the ball late in the 2nd quarter. Was consistent after that, providing much needed drive and pace around the ball. Won a few centre clearances and tackled with gusto. Started forward, spent the majority of the rest of the game in the centre. Was our best player along with Hind.
Such a positive report I just had to borrow it. Nice work Blurt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Longy again showed flashes of brilliance against the Dees at the MCG. A goal on the run from the 50 near the boundary tore the roof off the sucker (or was that the lid coming off our expectations?)

Either way it felt f****** grouse and Ben relished the moment himself.

Parker and Longy are a bit similar in their style and add plenty of speed and mongrel to our forward line.

Quiet in the first half he sprung to life in the second half, ending up with 10 disposals, 28 pressure points, 4 score involvements and a goal.

IMG_9804.JPG

https://m.saints.com.au/video/2019-04-20/rd-5-huge-roar-as-long-joins-saint-siege

Apr 5, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Hey Guys!

I'm from the Marngrook Footy Show on NITV (CH34). Just wanted to let you saints fans know that tonight 7:30 Ben Long will be joining us on the show!
Be sure to tune in to hear from Ben!

Follow us on Facebook and Instagram in the build-up to the show to catch him during our Handball Competition and perhaps a couple of behind the scenes videos!

Cheers

Hey Guys!

I'm from the Marngrook Footy Show on NITV (CH34). Just wanted to let you saints fans know that tonight 7:30 Ben Long will be joining us on the show!

Follow us on Facebook and Instagram in the build-up to the show to catch him during our Handball Competition and perhaps a couple of behind the scenes videos!

Cheers
Thanks for the heads up & welcome to the forum!

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hey Guys!

Cheers

Thanks mate. Your show is extremely popular on our forum. Great to have Longy on it. Cheers.

Apr 5, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ben had an ordinary outing against GWS as did a few others. Looked sharp in the opening minutes with a score involvement but faded.

30 pressure points says he battled on but no tackles and only 3 contested possessions this week.

Another opportunity goes begging unfortunately but it's still a learning experience for the 21-year old.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ben again struggled to have much impact against West Coast. Similar numbers to last week and with 30 pressure points and 3 tackles to show his endeavour.

2 score involvements but no goals. Not getting his hands on the ball and not making ground with his disposals either.

May have to play himself into form at Sandy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back