Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cripps Walsh Murphy Fisher SPS Dow

These are our best midfielders, I don't know who you have ahead of him, the truth is our midfield is terrible. Forget potential and youth, right now it's terrible and that is being hugely overshadowed by the brilliance of Cripps. Ed Curnow would be in there if he played more midfield but has only really played wing consistently in recent times. Probably around Murphy's level.

Statistics don't lie.

Either do your eyes
He’s finished
The opposition know it and i bet deep down our blokes know it too ...

Anyone read Sam Edmund's article in yesterday's Herald Sun?

It was a personal story, noting how he has been a Carlton supporter all his life, then dropped as he became a journalist, then came back once he had a son. Now he is invested in the club as a bond with his son, but is struggling as it is saddening his young son to loss after loss pile up. How it is difficult to keep his son invested in Carlton as we lose, and sometimes badly.

Less news, more emotion.

For those wanting a different perspective, try and find it, it was straight from Sam's heart.

I'm living it at the moment.

I have a 9yo son and 6yo daughter. My son is sports mad and loves his football and Carlton but everyday at school he is surrounded by his mates who are pretty much all West Coast supporters plus 1 Adelaide and 1 Hawthorn supporter. He's at the stage where he doesn't really want to wear his Carlton jumper to footy training anymore.

He is never going to change teams but I want him to enjoy supporting a team that wins at some stage in his childhood.

I'm living it at the moment.

I have a 9yo son and 6yo daughter. My son is sports mad and loves his football and Carlton but everyday at school he is surrounded by his mates who are pretty much all West Coast supporters plus 1 Adelaide and 1 Hawthorn supporter. He's at the stage where he doesn't really want to wear his Carlton jumper to footy training anymore.

He is never going to change teams but I want him to enjoy supporting a team that wins at some stage in his childhood.

Same here, my 10 year old is not interested in watching Carlton games anymore. Checks the scores on the tv and walks away mumbling. Loves the club but wont wear anything Carlton outside the house for fear of being teased.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy saying it broke him...
Obviously wasn't at the 86 grand final, or a few other games. That hurt a lot more than Sunday.
Its one thing to get flogged with kids out there and an awareness that this could happen. Its totally different when you have a right to expect to win the big one.

Sometimes conversations like this need to be held.

Not saying there was/is anything wrong at the club but in any organisation, talent is only one component of success. Clarity from management is good, but just one more element. Communication, teamwork and trust are vital components of a top-functioning group of people.

I'm happy if this chat allowed some players to get things off their chests, receive some hard truths and/or galvanised the group. Hopefully it will help the players (collectively and individually) work on maximising their strengths and minimising their weaknesses.
I can"t see how the chat could be a bad thing..

The guy saying it broke him...
Obviously wasn't at the 86 grand final, or a few other games. That hurt a lot more than Sunday.
Its one thing to get flogged with kids out there and an awareness that this could happen. Its totally different when you have a right to expect to win the big one.

After 86 you could still walk around with pride that the Blues were there and thereabouts. The club was a power and a legit contender (proven correct the year after).

After Sunday, many were broken, this was the 11th thrashing in the past year and a half. Not losses, but absolute pants-down floggings.

I felt worse Sunday night than after 86 & 94. You can tell me I am crazy, but it is how I feel, and it sounds like I am not the only one. Maybe a glitch, lord I hope so.

P.S. I support the Blues and the rebuild.

Hi all,

Have started a new podcast called Metres Gained and as part of it we interview past and present stars. Former Carlton players have included Glenn Manton and Kris Massie- both interviews are super interesting and have some great stories from their playing careers.

Check it out here!

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/anchor ... e/60722359

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/anchor ... e/60726204

Can also check out more of our stuff on Spotify or iTunes- we are The Metres Gained Podcast.

https://open.spotify.com/show/2p5y9wNLUPigfjhpjrMa4i
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/m ... 1462460879

For me nope dlb99 I distinctly remember being shattered. There wasnt pride at the time. Just empty gloom.
Went back to Princes Park and every single player came out one at a time to say sorry to the fans. Even Doull who was at that stage retired after the match.

That day is etched in the memory and we should have won it.

This week was horrible but hardly unsurprising nor the end of the world. You simply cant compare our under 23's of now with that Giant Carlton side then in terms of expectation. Yeah Hawks were a good unit but we were better and blew it. Got em the next year though.

We are on the right road I am sure...just hit a couple of potholes.

You really think our current results are because we are too tall?

Bookmark this, when things start to turn, we will still be playing a similar lineup

It will give you some time to conjure a response
Mate, you can't even gather my point in pretty straight forward posts, so I'll probably refrain from bookmarking anything you post.

It's painful that I have to explain this, but being too tall is just one aspect of the game plan that doesn't seem to be bearing any fruit at the moment - of course, like everything, there is a a multitude of reasons why the game plan isn't clicking at the moment - I just picked out one of the more glaring issues as a point of discussion.

What it comes down to for me is that Bolton is doing this, deliberately. It makes you ask why; why would you coldly and blatantly throw the young players to the wolves? What does it accomplish? Has such a thing happened before anywhere else?

I understand why we are throwing them to the wolves and you have highlighted some examples of where it has worked, but what about the examples of Melbourne or even Gold Coast's previous rebuilds, where talented youngsters were thrown to the wolves resulting in another rebuild required before the initial bear any fruit? There are examples of this plan working and not working - at the moment the Carlton plan looks to be not working by any measure.

You have trust in what we are doing, and I did too, but there is no doubt things are starting to de-rail. It's going to be interesting to see at what point the club either magically turn it around or make the call that the current course (75 games into a 66 game rebuild) is not working.

I understand why we are throwing them to the wolves and you have highlighted some examples of where it has worked, but what about the examples of Melbourne or even Gold Coast's previous rebuilds, where talented youngsters were thrown to the wolves resulting in another rebuild required before the initial bear any fruit? There are examples of this plan working and not working - at the moment the Carlton plan looks to be not working by any measure.

You have trust in what we are doing, and I did too, but there is no doubt things are starting to de-rail. It's going to be interesting to see at what point the club either magically turn it around or make the call that the current course (75 games into a 66 game rebuild) is not working.
I'm not seeing anything starting to derail. I'm seeing players starting to take responsibility for themselves, and I'm seeing the culture continue to change in positive ways.

After 86 you could still walk around with pride that the Blues were there and thereabouts. The club was a power and a legit contender (proven correct the year after).

After Sunday, many were broken, this was the 11th thrashing in the past year and a half. Not losses, but absolute pants-down floggings.

I felt worse Sunday night than after 86 & 94. You can tell me I am crazy, but it is how I feel, and it sounds like I am not the only one. Maybe a glitch, lord I hope so.

P.S. I support the Blues and the rebuild.
73 was the worst, they knocked our coach out.

I'm not seeing anything starting to derail. I'm seeing players starting to take responsibility for themselves, and I'm seeing the culture continue to change in positive ways.
Derail is probably the wrong word... we are approaching a precipice at which we either stick or twist.

Players taking responsibility? I just heard Cripps say the Collingwood result was unlucky :$
I think that is definitely an area the club needs to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back