Would you watch a third tier short summer league?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL should pour shed load of money and go back to AFL Reserves and increase AFL list numbers to 45-48.

Get a TV deal for Reserves and play them prior to AFL Vic game where they can.

Also introduce a new third tier new comp with just 8 clubs. Played over summer, 7 games each.

Players recruited from metro leagues on one season contracts. Shortened night games, 16 a side. Either name teams after AFL teams or new names.

Gonna need seven figures coming in each year just to do it, and the AFL's hands won't reach their pockets to get out their wallet.
It's hard enough for the state level leagues to attract a million dollars in sponsorship to fund their competitions, so I cannot see the finance needed to fund this idea falling out of the sky.

AFL should pour shed load of money and go back to AFL Reserves and increase AFL list numbers to 45-48.

Get a TV deal for Reserves and play them prior to AFL Vic game where they can.

Also introduce a new third tier new comp with just 8 clubs. Played over summer, 7 games each.

Players recruited from metro leagues on one season contracts. Shortened night games, 16 a side. Either name teams after AFL teams or new names.

No leave the country and metro leagues alone.
The AFL Reserves needs to come into vogue again.
You need to be realistic about the level of interest following the levels below the elite. It is not a product to sell in itself, it should be seen as curtain raisers and development of players on AFL clubs lists and be accessible on same day senior team play. It should enhance the whole day experience of following your club when they play rather than distributed on weekend here there and everywhere as it is right now due to not being an actual reserves grade in existence. I think there is place to have niche following of the pathway to AFL to see youngsters clubs are going to draft. It is where I believe the old world football should meet the new and find a common ground of purpose into this century that has not been addressed in two decades. The under 19's for each club went, the state leagues standard got ripped apart and the genuine senior state leagues role for best players and best club in each state caused to be out of date and redundant. I think re-purpose those historical great clubs that not in the elite league to control the pathway of the elite youngsters to go onto the elite league and take pride attempting to be best club in each state to produce the best seasons and best kids each new season. That would have some following, not massive but genuine football followers would see it's relevance and might develop pride in which club to follow in their state at this level. Something like how people in USA tend to follow a college team for the pathway of their youth to their elite leagues. I do not know what age level we cap it at. Under 21 might be the go.

1)So elite level AFL
2) Second tier AFL Reserve Grade and all AFL day games have reserve grade curtain raiser before senior game
3) Third tier is pathway to getting access to the others of under 21 league in every state.
22 year olds that still want a pathway to elite level take up offers to play as top up player for an AFL reserves team which spread across the 18 clubs in reserves grade of league.
Otherwise they filter out to the better senior level suburban or country leagues.
But I do agree with you the AFL list numbers need to be back to around 50 so the reserve grade is well resourced with AFL listed players.

The AFL could do more to promote the Summer comp in the NT. Maybe make it relevant to the AFL clubs somehow. Just because it's played in the NT doesn't matter that much as most people watch footy on TV anyway.
I’d definitely get around this, gives everyone a chance to pick a team to barrack for if they haven’t got one already, puts eyes on a comp that is underwatched imo, fills the summer appetite for footy and benefits the clubs involved. A national free to air TV deal for the NTFL would be excellent to see.

A summer competition with some stand-alone VFL teams together with willing strong district, country and amateur clubs, each side playing (perhaps) 3 games, and with it not being a knockout setup, with a simple finals program, should certainly generate interest.

It wouldn’t be too hard to organise.

A summer competition with some stand-alone VFL teams together with willing strong district, country and amateur clubs, each side playing (perhaps) 3 games, and with it not being a knockout setup, with a simple finals program, should certainly generate interest.

It wouldn’t be too hard to organise.
AND
should you read my post of 9 Feb on 'Time to fold the VFL?', together with a promotion/relegation format such as the English EPL, all Victorian clubs can aspire (if they want) to be in the strongest third tier competition in the country.
Would love to see Frankston Pines or Strathmore playing Collegians or Ormond for the VSFA Championship Cup.

AND
should you read my post of 9 Feb on 'Time to fold the VFL?', together with a promotion/relegation format such as the English EPL, all Victorian clubs can aspire (if they want) to be in the strongest third tier competition in the country.
Would love to see Frankston Pines or Strathmore playing Collegians or Ormond for the VSFA Championship Cup.
OR Port Melbourne, Williamstown, or Frankston et al...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back