Autopsy Bulldogs 103 - Carlton 100. A win, but a loss at the same time?

Remove this Banner Ad

We are in dire need of a quality KPD!! I reckon if we can recruit one in the off season we will be a lot better placed to handle, opposition forward lines.
Trouble is at the minute we are asking undersized defenders Cordy and Wood to stand genuine KPF and they don't have the size to match them. So they either infringe and give away easy shots on goal, or they get outmarked easily.
If we can get that big KPD so that the match ups are a lot closer physically would go a long way to changing how we perform when the heat comes on IMO

I called him the worst key back in the comp and unfortunately I’m standing by that claim. It does however beg the question - where is he suited to play? I know he played forward a bit in 2016, so do we try him there? If that doesn’t work out, where on earth can he play?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He can play defensively, he is just being overmatched physically. So it's making an already tough job next to impossible. If he were to be matched on someone closer to his size, rather than giving away a lot of height and weight he would be able to perform a lot better.

Guys like Caleb and Suckling I can tolerate the turnovers because they make things happen and create scoring chains regularly, but I think Caleb would want bits and pieces from that second half back again

Midfield/forwards have to give him an option to kick to also though, sometimes these turnovers come from having no one to kick to.
The little fella is an integral part of the team and his decision making is one of the main reasons we clear the defensive lines and set up opportunities, but - there are critical times when it should be apparent that a long kick out of danger, even if only temporary, is the option. When he's doing the CD shuffle trying to break an opponent for more than a few seconds - clearing kick. When the other team has had a run on, and the team is in panick mode, from a point kick-in - kick it long.

I dont think this is revisionist. There have been multiple occasions in recent seasons where a clearing kick would relieve pressure and im convinced it'd pick up 2-4 goals a game from defense errors.

We are in dire need of a quality KPD!! I reckon if we can recruit one in the off season we will be a lot better placed to handle, opposition forward lines.
Trouble is at the minute we are asking undersized defenders Cordy and Wood to stand genuine KPF and they don't have the size to match them. So they either infringe and give away easy shots on goal, or they get outmarked easily.
If we can get that big KPD so that the match ups are a lot closer physically would go a long way to changing how we perform when the heat comes on IMO
We had one, he was a leader too, he also loved the club. Jordan Roughhead! It’s a disgrace to everyone involved he’s not still at the club.

We had a good young injury hit group win a flag less than three yrs ago and expectations are too high?

Alternate view. Maybe expectations are far too low and more folks should be asking asking WTF??
Can't buy experience and that is a huge difference between that team and this one. It was very telling that when Libba went off hurt, that the midfield fell apart.
It takes experience to respond when the opposition starts to get a run on, and without the support of runners to get the message out, and a lack of experienced heads in the team. Is why we see us scored against so heavily.
There is also our undersized defence :rolleyes:

I think our midfield needs to be roasted. Both games against the Blues, vs Fremantle, and various other quarters, they get absolutely bitched in the middle.

Agree there, Macrae and Hunter especially. Whilst they’re getting the ball they aren’t damaging enough with it. Macrae reminds me very much of when Matty Boyd played on the ball, got tons of it but wasn’t making it count consistently enough.

Interesting to read the positivity on the Carlton board now, even though that was a -45 point turnaround on when they played us 8 weeks ago while under Bolton. We were weaker last night too, with Libba going down early, and they had added Curnow.

Perception is a funny thing. The Soma-like power of the AFL coach sacking marches on.

Don't feel as bad about it today then what i did last night, it felt like a loss yesterday, happy we won today, the side needs work though, hoping we can nab a few more wins this season but based on last nights performance we'll lose more than we win for the remainder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all the negativity Q1 was perhaps the best footy we've played since the 2016 finals.

The fight back at end of 3rd and start of 4th was v good too. Yeah a lot of crap in between but hey we found a way to win
We were also playing bottom of the ladder carlton, we won by 3 points, puts things into perspective

As much as people give him a hard time I thought that (apart from Dunkley) Hunter was the one player who really stood up when Carlton were overrunning us.
Very true. He was one player who was visibly furious when Carlton were on top of us. You can’t know his attitude and desire.
Thought Suckling dragged us up when we were down too. Two or three really key moments.

The issue is the run on of goals we allow against and the ability of key tall forwards to get hold of us week in and week out. We desperately need a key back who can match it with those talls and we need a solid key forward who can take a mark inside 50 other than Naughton.

The problem is none of this can be fixed this year and also we could all see this was a need for the last few years and we continually fail to address it.

Need to just give Lewis young a solid run as key defender and see what he offers. But going off Beveridges press conference he said our talls at vfl level haven’t shown form so doubt young comes in. Yet Gardner showed so much form down there. He also made excuses for Gardner as he is finding his feet at the level.

For all the negativity Q1 was perhaps the best footy we've played since the 2016 finals.

The fight back at end of 3rd and start of 4th was v good too. Yeah a lot of crap in between but hey we found a way to win

I think we need to keep it relative to the opposition who have been the worst afl side since Fitzroy

Yes we played well but not exceptional

Can't buy experience and that is a huge difference between that team and this one. It was very telling that when Libba went off hurt, that the midfield fell apart.
It takes experience to respond when the opposition starts to get a run on, and without the support of runners to get the message out, and a lack of experienced heads in the team. Is why we see us scored against so heavily.
There is also our undersized defence :rolleyes:

With Libba out for at least a month, I can’t see us getting out of the bottom four.

Not saying anything we don’t already know but when we dominate the midfield we look great. When we don’t we leak goals at a significant rate.

No team can maintain midfield dominance for an entire game.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Gardner back, he looks athletic like Hamling was.

I’d like to look at:
Lewis Young FB
Gardner CHB

Trengove and English swapping forward/ruck

I just can’t have Trengove as a defender. He has no composure.

It’s an extremely young backline if we go with Gardner and Young, but honestly feel like we have nothing to lose. It also allows Cordy and Wood to play their natural roles

Changes next week

Out
Williams to Adelaide
Dale to Deer Park
Gardner to who cares

In
Duryea
West
Sweet

Dale reminds me of a tall Mark Cullen
Deer Park is not far enough imo.
Like a relocated possum he'll find his way back home.
I suggest Alice Springs.

Pies
Port away
Geelong
Melbourne

Is the next month so hard to argue although we aren’t in the bottom four currently
If we bring in our young AFL standard talls we can suprise a pinch a few there. If you were young or schache and you dont get called into the 1s this week you would be filthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back