Multiplat Prey

Remove this Banner Ad

can't disagree with the reviewers that described it as "bioshock in space", but i found it so much more than that. the minute-to-minute gameplay had far much more going on, more to think about and the degrees of freedom much more pronounced. i would compare it favourably with the original deus ex (system shock unfortunately being one of those classics i missed back in the day) as the options for completing quests weren't spoon-fed to you, it was up to you to find out what worked best for your playstyle. i really enjoy games that let me try to break their rules, and prey has that in spades.

bugs aside it a really well-designed game, though some of the navigation (especially outside the station) could be a bit annoying. nightmare was really hard for the most part and i managed to get over 40 hours out of it which is pretty high by shooter standards.

lots of criticism generally re the story, but that's never been a big deal to me so didn't find it any worse than the multitude of other average videogame stories. if i want an amazing narrative i go find one of the mediums designed for it.

not sure it was worth the $700 GPU upgrade, but i've been looking for an excuse for a while!

I hate how they run quickly under your feet and then you lose your bearings
Sneaky *ers

Im really enjoying this.
Doing a bunch of sidequests now that the game has opened up.

Turning controller sensitivity up has helped me deal with mimics way easier.

Also you can sprint in any direction (useful when surrounded or need to quickly get away), the sideways sprint can be useful, can't remember if it works going backwards though.

About 10 hrs in and enjoying it immensely.
The story is very intriguing and don't know where it's going.

Got a little frustrated before as i had no ammo.
Only my gloo cannon and wrench.
I was sorta cornered in an area with 3 phantoms and 2 of the poltergeist like enemies.
Managed to get away eventually....

Being a big fan of Dishonored I was really looking forward to playing through Prey. But honestly I'm finding the game to be a massive chore.

Ran into 'Nightmare' for the first time and I can't see myself bothering to finish it. Unfortunately, Prey is one of those games that peaks within the first five minutes when 'breaking the glass' held limitless possibilities and lackluster combat had yet to reveal its ugly head.

I finished the game last night after putting a solid 30 hours into it.

I'm happy with the experience that I had, I found Talos 1 a nice place to explore. The game does a lot of things well, as you get more and more neuromods the combat opens up and you go from being more tentative to being more brazen as time goes on.

The pacing was on the whole very solid except for about an hour towards the end when the game changes things up in a manner which isn't particularly enjoyable.

Between Prey, Doom and Wolfenstein Bethesda has had the FPS genre on lock this generation.

Finished this yesterday after a solid couple of weeks only playing it, I was utterly and incredibly absorbed with the game. Just under 30 hours to complete 46 side missions + the story missions.

As The Big Sauce said the last hour or so leading into the last few missions really sullied a really enjoyable game. If I hadn't finished all but the side missions that came from the last few main missions, I certainly wouldn't have been trying to go through them then.

Otherwise though a fantastic experience. Although the game doesn't really do gunplay or stealth very well, the overall Talos 1 station was so well thought out and made, it didn't matter. Every area was a joy to explore to its fullest and get into as many nook and crannies as possible. Especially even certain spots that had the illusion of something else and weren't. I had numerous "that's ******* awesome!" moments when finding a secret behind some glass that looked like a grassy habitat, they really did some great stuff with expectations and the reality of the world. The initial reveal was absolutely brilliant too.

As has been mentioned as well, the way the combat both ramped up and required the use of basically every element whether through neuromod abilities or the guns you have in your arsenal really made sure everything you picked up had a use.

I also really enjoyed a vast majority of the side missions. Another element similar to the combat, was that they made you explore so much more of the station via the side missions. Helping you really get a grasp of what the station was like before everything went to s**t.

Which on that is why the game was so absorbing. The world that was created was simply brilliant. I wanted to explore everything, I wanted to play every side mission out and see as much as I could as it was just so well put together.

It's a massive shame that it looks like this will simply be a stand alone title with no sequel or expansion in the future. As what Arkane have done with this game is truly something special.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finished this yesterday after a solid couple of weeks only playing it, I was utterly and incredibly absorbed with the game. Just under 30 hours to complete 46 side missions + the story missions.

As The Big Sauce said the last hour or so leading into the last few missions really sullied a really enjoyable game. If I hadn't finished all but the side missions that came from the last few main missions, I certainly wouldn't have been trying to go through them then.

Otherwise though a fantastic experience. Although the game doesn't really do gunplay or stealth very well, the overall Talos world was so well thought out and made it didn't matter. Every area was a joy to explore to its fullest and get into as many nook and crannies as possible. Especially even certain spots that had the illusion of something else and weren't. I had some numerous "that's ******* awesome!" moments when finding a secret behind some glass that looked like a grassy habitat, they really did some great stuff with expectations and the reality of the world. The initial reveal was absolutely brilliant too.

As has been mentioned as well, the way the combat both ramped up and required the use of basically every element whether through neuromod abilities or the guns you have in your arsenal really made sure everything you picked up had a use.

I also really enjoyed a vast majority of the side missions. Another element similar to the combat, was that they made you explore so much more of the station via the side missions. Helping you really get a grasp of what the station was like before everything went to s**t.

Which on that is why the game was so absorbing. The world that was created was simply brilliant. I wanted to explore everything, I wanted to play every side mission out and see as much as I could as it was just so well put together.

It's a massive shame that it looks like this will simply be a stand alone title with no sequel or expansion in the future. As what Arkane have done with this game is truly something special.

I loved that this game truly rewarded exploration rather than enforcing it via cheap errand missions. Not to criticise anyone for negative reviews but I could definitely tell the difference between those who explored, read and discovered things and those who only did what they had to. I can understand how it may seem a bit bland you were to only do what you were told to do, but as someone who generally likes to explore and do as much as they can besides the objective I felt like I was duly rewarded. Something not that common with many games today.

Regarding the initial reveal, on subsequent playthroughs I noticed that if you were truly eagle eyed you would be able to pick it up straight away. That's just genius level design IMO. It's there, so obvious, but like a good magician they managed to draw your attention elsewhere.

So I'm just trying to play this now. Mouse doesn't work at all in the main menu and half the options screen is inaccessible by keyboard cause I wanted to change to gamepad. Load up the game anyway and mouse interaction doesn't even work....

Not to sound condescending or anything but have you made sure all of your drivers are up to date and you've done a full restart and stuff? I was only playing this recently and it was flawless. Very odd!

That's cool. Yes everything was up to date, did restart and all that. Was trying to navigate the menu and it was telling me to use 'Page Left' or 'Page Right', those keys don't exist, it ended up being 'Q'. Then there was a bit of trouble getting the gamepad set up but it's all good now.

Put 4 hours into it so far, really good. Enemies are brutal though. Haha.

This game is awesome, doesn't get enough love IMO. It's worth while reading stuff when you find it like computers and notepads and stuff. Combat gets easier as you level up and becomes more of a straight up shooter but without going into spoilers there is one enemy that is very much a core game mechanic which gets a bit annoying after a while.

I found myself whacking every item eventually just in case it was a damn mimic haha.

Brought the gamepass offer 3 months for a dollar, Prey was one of the few games in there i wanted to try

4 hours in and loving it, not much of the story done so far but heaps of exploring

Brought the gamepass offer 3 months for a dollar, Prey was one of the few games in there i wanted to try

4 hours in and loving it, not much of the story done so far but heaps of exploring

Was my favourite game the year it came out. I recently bought it again for $12 and look forward to replaying it and checking out the DLC.

Brought this on the cheap ($14 @EB games) after someone from work recommended it to me, currently heading to the G.U.T.S! I’ve enjoying exploring the space station so far and the atmosphere reminds me a lot of Aliens Isolation. But I’m finding it very frustrating that I haven’t found many weapons and ammo yet apart from a pistol and that foamy weapon gun. stealth and sneaking around isn’t all that fun but I don’t think the game is intended to be played that way. Hopefully it opens up a bit more for me, any tips on where to find some good weapons?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back