Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to hell. :thumbsu:

tenor.gif

LOL

Post up your Push day routine and we'll help you with a work around.

My routine changes like the wind.

I was getting less pain when i started my Push day with the OHP/Military Press

Recently started doing chest into shoulders and got fatigued quite easy.

My routine changes like the wind.

I was getting less pain when i started my Push day with the OHP/Military Press

Recently started doing chest into shoulders and got fatigued quite easy.
Might be an idea to separate chest and shoulder day.

I find decline chest movements are more shoulder friendly, and my shoulders hurt less if I start the week with a pull day, then push day tuesday.

If I'm in the wars I just do maintenance levels for a few weeks. I start the workout with some light rotator cuff movements on the cable station.

I do bro splits, and through trial and error have found this is the only way to get enough volume in.

Rear delt bent over dumbbell raises
Dumbbell side laterals.
Cable side laterals.
Machine side laterals
Military Press.

I flip the order around, but never do presses first. Front delt raises aggravate the shoulders even with the pink dumbbells. I occasionally do upright rows with dumbbells.

Might do first push of the week chest then second of the week shoulder.

See how that goes

I flip the order around, but never do presses first. Front delt raises aggravate the shoulders even with the pink dumbbells. I occasionally do upright rows with dumbbells.
I would recommend presses early. There most likely going to be your heaviest exercise, and it's an overhead movement, so you should try and be least fatigued to minimalise injury

I would recommend presses early. There most likely going to be your heaviest exercise, and it's an overhead movement, so you should try and be least fatigued to minimalise injury
Said in his post his shoulders are already hurting. Little bit of fatigue means he will have to use lighter weights. His joints and rotators will thank him.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I don’t necessarily do single joint movements before multi joint, but I definitely do a heap of reps with lighter weights prior to my main movement(s).
Eg Thursday before heavy bench I did 4x25 (each) tricep pressdowns, straight arm pulldowns and face pulls then about 5 warm up sets on bench to get into my working weights.
Also, as my focus is improving my bench (rather than hypertrophy) I just combine what you guys would call chest, shoulder and arm days into one and aim for ~60 “heavy” reps per body part each session. Normally two big multi joint exercises then 2-3 single joint exercises eg after the aforementioned warm up it was bench press + bands (1x1, 3x5), incline DB press (3x10), skull crushers (3x12, hammer curls (3x15) and band pull apart (3x30).

On the topic of front raises:
Had a Pt with shoulder pain that was aggravated by any exercise that was predominantly shoulder flexion (so CG bench, dips, overhead press).
Solution? Sub those out for other exercises (floor press, incline press) and put in slow (5 count up and down) front raises for 4 sets of 6-10 reps at about a 3RIR.
The guy is fairly strong (benches around 130kg) but had to use 3kg DBs for the front raises.
As I’d hoped his shoulder pain decreased after doing them when we retested some of the other movements (basically exercise induced analgesia).
He’s got a PL comp in six weeks so I’m hoping the changes will limp him through that then I’ll see him again and start from scratch to nip the shoulder pain in the bud.

Last edited:
Said in his post his shoulders are already hurting. Little bit of fatigue means he will have to use lighter weights. His joints and rotators will thank him.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Think i am on the brink of a severe shoulder injury. The OHP and higher lat raises could be the culprit. Definitely going to lower my weights and focus on form. It's a marathon...not a sprint and i am going a bit too hard i think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think i am on the brink of a severe shoulder injury. The OHP and higher lat raises could be the culprit. Definitely going to lower my weights and focus on form. It's a marathon...not a sprint and i am going a bit too hard i think.
Yeah definitely lower weights.

Read Aeglos' post a few up. He subbed out OHP with floor presses. You don't need to go high with the lateral raises. Below shoulder height will still hit the side delts.

Looking for some feedback on my upcoming PPL progressive overload program

Day 1: 5 sets 3 reps 85% 1RM + boring but big 5 sets 10 reps 50% 1RM
Day 2: 4 sets 6 reps 70% 1RM
Day 3: 3 sets 9 reps 60% 1RM

And adding 5kg to my 1RM every day 1

This is what it will look like
Push Day 1

Bench 3x5 85% + 10x5 50%
Barbell press
Dips
Incline bench
DB Flys
Cable cross overs

Legs Day 2

Squats 6x4 70%
Good mornings
Front squats
Lunge
Leg press (or some other machine exercise)

Pull Day 3

Deadlifts 9x3 60%
Pull ups
Rows shrugs
Curls
Chins

Push Day 2

Bench 6x4 70%
Dips
Barbell press
Skull crushers
Tricep extension
Kickbacks

Legs Day 3

Squats 9x3 60%
Accessories as above

Pull Day 1

Deads 3x5 85% + 10x5 50%
Accessories as above

Push Day 3

Bench 9x3 60%
Barbell press
Dips
Lateral raise
DB press
Upright row

Legs Day 1

Squats 3x5 85% + 10x5 50%
Accessories as above

Pull Day 2

Deads 6x4 70%
Accessories as above

Looking for some feedback on my upcoming PPL progressive overload program

Day 1: 5 sets 3 reps 85% 1RM + boring but big 5 sets 10 reps 50% 1RM
Day 2: 4 sets 6 reps 70% 1RM
Day 3: 3 sets 9 reps 60% 1RM

And adding 5kg to my 1RM every day 1

This is what it will look like

How many days a week are you training?

So many records were broken! My coach took out 3 herself.

Been a big weekend in powerlifting. Big Ray Williams bombed out and Kelly Branton popped for roids.

I haven’t seen any of Ray’s actual lifts but I stumbled across a picture from his squats where one end of the bar is in the squat hook on the combo rack and the other the bench hook lol.
Bloke needs to switch to a fed that uses squat bars and a mono before he has a career ending injury.

Just googled Kelly; imagine getting done for a SARM! What a waste!

I haven’t seen any of Ray’s actual lifts but I stumbled across a picture from his squats where one end of the bar is in the squat hook on the combo rack and the other the bench hook lol.
Bloke needs to switch to a fed that uses squat bars and a mono before he has a career ending injury.

Just googled Kelly; imagine getting done for a SARM! What a waste!
Worth a watch for Rays. Apparently he is sick though, went to hospital before the day finished, dropped 20 odd kilos leading up to the day as well.

Check Kelly’s instagram. He’s trying to cover himself and claim tainted supps but it’s all over, everyone knows the truth.

Worth a watch for Rays. Apparently he is sick though, went to hospital before the day finished, dropped 20 odd kilos leading up to the day as well.

Check Kelly’s instagram. He’s trying to cover himself and claim tainted supps but it’s all over, everyone knows the truth.

Did you see Blaine Sumner’s comment on Kelly’s post?
Would surprise me at all if the IPF tried slapping him with a ban (if someone in PA under Wilks said what he did they’d probably disappear never to be heard or again lol).

Generally I think doping in a tested PL fed is stupid (due to the plethora of other, untested, feds) but if you’re a high profile lifter you’re asking for trouble.
No one would give a s**t if you didn’t have a social media account, and unless he’s deleted all his info off of his IG it doesn’t look like Kelly was really gaining much by having 35,000 followers.
Ah well, I expect Markos will send him an email shortly about Big Dogs if he hasn’t already haha.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back