Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent pedal! What axes are you running into it?

I was actually looking at this exact pedal last week. I was comparing it to the TC Fangs that the other guitarist in my band is using. In the end upsold myself and instead have this bad boy arriving tomorrow (Horizon Apex). My current rig isn't portable enough so I'm streamlining my pedal situation.

https://www.bettermusic.com.au/horizon-devices-apex-pre

I've got a Epiphone flying V '67 reissue, a BC Rich Mockingbird and an Ibanez Destroyer which I think was made in the 90s. My amp is a Randall RH300 and I usually just plug straight into that. Way more power than I need for just playing at home.

What about you, are you happy with the sound you're getting?

I've got a Epiphone flying V '67 reissue, a BC Rich Mockingbird and an Ibanez Destroyer which I think was made in the 90s. My amp is a Randall RH300 and I usually just plug straight into that. Way more power than I need for just playing at home.

What about you, are you happy with the sound you're getting?

I'm up to 13 or 14 guitars, but for current stuff I'm using a E-II M-II with a BlackStar Series One 6L6 into a 4x12. I bought it for the amp filth of the 6L6 tubes over the more common el34 and drive it with a trusty old ts808 tubescreamer, but it means I have to use the loop for delay effects and need extra cables to run the Decimator noise gate. No good if I need to borrow an amp or backline live. That's why I looked to switch to a distortion pedal and can run everything inline straight into an amp's clean channel. Figured I'd look at something that can also be used as a preamp so I even have the flexibility of plugging straight into a power amp/power stage or interface. This unit comes with a triple buffered noise gate too so hopefully it's good enough to rip the Decimator off my board.

I'm up to 13 or 14 guitars, but for current stuff I'm using a E-II M-II with a BlackStar Series One 6L6 into a 4x12. I bought it for the amp filth of the 6L6 tubes over the more common el34 and drive it with a trusty old ts808 tubescreamer, but it means I have to use the loop for delay effects and need extra cables to run the Decimator noise gate. No good if I need to borrow an amp or backline live. That's why I looked to switch to a distortion pedal and can run everything inline straight into an amp's clean channel. Figured I'd look at something that can also be used as a preamp so I even have the flexibility of plugging straight into a power amp/power stage or interface. This unit comes with a triple buffered noise gate too so hopefully it's good enough to rip the Decimator off my board.

That a quite a setup. What guitars do you like to use the most?

That a quite a setup. What guitars do you like to use the most?

The M-II as it is just made for black metal. It's fast and just about plays itself. Can be hard to take though with the EMG81 in the bridge. Very percussive sounding and loves to scream. Great for leads and black metal arpeggio style playing but I have to play it a bit differently when just doing straight up rhythm to settle it down.

I have about 5 Schecters and a few of them I really like. Especially the C-1 SLS body types. SLS Blackjack, Hellraiser Hybrid and the KM6 are my picks of the bunch.

Absolute best to play would be my Ibanez Prestige. It's a RG652AHM with an amazing birdseye maple fretboard and Ashwood top is great to look at and plays really well. I don't get it out much though. It's the only one I keep in it's case while everything else goes on the racks, even my other jap ESP (E-II) custom stays out. Once we hit the studio I'll probably end up using this one for leads (just no studio photos because it doesn't look very black metal haha) and probably the SLS Blackjack for everything else as the Seymour Duncan blackouts are easier to tame than the M-II.

Later in the year I'll probably get a cheap LTD M100 or something as there is no way I'm taking a $2.5k guitar to any gig, and just fit it with either another set of Seymour Duncan Blackwinters which are imo best passive pickup for metal. Got them in 3 guitars now, or another set of BKP Aftermaths. Aftermaths are crazy though. I've got them in another Ibanez but they're probably the hottest passive pickup I've ever heard and run into the same issues as active EMG81s.

The M-II as it is just made for black metal. It's fast and just about plays itself. Can be hard to take though with the EMG81 in the bridge. Very percussive sounding and loves to scream. Great for leads and black metal arpeggio style playing but I have to play it a bit differently when just doing straight up rhythm to settle it down.

I have about 5 Schecters and a few of them I really like. Especially the C-1 SLS body types. SLS Blackjack, Hellraiser Hybrid and the KM6 are my picks of the bunch.

Absolute best to play would be my Ibanez Prestige. It's a RG652AHM with an amazing birdseye maple fretboard and Ashwood top is great to look at and plays really well. I don't get it out much though. It's the only one I keep in it's case while everything else goes on the racks, even my other jap ESP (E-II) custom stays out. Once we hit the studio I'll probably end up using this one for leads (just no studio photos because it doesn't look very black metal haha) and probably the SLS Blackjack for everything else as the Seymour Duncan blackouts are easier to tame than the M-II.

Later in the year I'll probably get a cheap LTD M100 or something as there is no way I'm taking a $2.5k guitar to any gig, and just fit it with either another set of Seymour Duncan Blackwinters which are imo best passive pickup for metal. Got them in 3 guitars now, or another set of BKP Aftermaths. Aftermaths are crazy though. I've got them in another Ibanez but they're probably the hottest passive pickup I've ever heard and run into the same issues as active EMG81s.

I've been thinking about getting an LTD myself actually. I think the eclipse model in all black looks fantastic and I don't have active pickups on my guitars.

I've been thinking about getting an LTD myself actually. I think the eclipse model in all black looks fantastic and I don't have active pickups on my guitars.

I've got a black EC-1000, it's a really cool guitar. My only beef is it has a 24.75" scale where as I much prefer 25.5". If you're comfortable on a Les Paul then you shouldn't have any issues with an Eclipse, it's just a lot thinner and lighter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a quick play. Usually weary of preamp/EQ stacking but the mid dial on this seems to handle a different range of mids than my amp. The pedal seems to control the low mid range which are the ones I find the most annoying (and why I've been considering an EQ pedal for a while) so that solves that issue. Tried the tubescreamer in front but it was just too much noise. Turns out less is more. Despite metal instincts I dialed the dirt on the pedal back, scooped some of the low mids before they hit the amp while keeping the others flat and already nailed that 'flat' tone the high strings get on lots of modern BM records. I'm no fan of Periphery (though appreciate Misha as a guitarist) but can already see why there are heaps of postive reviews on this unit that Misha designed.

True test will be tomorrow night when I get to crank the amp, hit some effects and start dive bombing.

20190617_175735.jpg

Hey deathevocation, how was Blasphemy? Couldn't go on Saturday as I had dinner and (many) drinks with my staff.

Only saw the Friday show. Got to Melbourne on Saturday night, was ready to go and then had some life issues to deal with so decided against going. Friday was ok though I thought the sound was bad. I think from talking to friends that the sound and crowd in Melbourne was much better. I saw them at Dark Mofo last year and that was much better IMO. Speaking of, I wonder how Candlemass was?

New Nocturnus arrived today. Sounds good.
Some interesting stuff.on it (and i love 'the key') but you'd think that after all of these years, surely mike browning would have learnt how to play in time?
I'm not talking click track precision, just not 'ventor in '8' timing (and not in a good way!)

Some interesting stuff.on it (and i love 'the key') but you'd think that after all of these years, surely mike browning would have learnt how to play in time?
I'm not talking click track precision, just not 'ventor in '8' timing (and not in a good way!)

Hadn't noticed to be honest! The main criticism seems to be that Browning sings along to the drums, which I can hear but it kind of works. I like this album a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back