Research Random Footy History article thread (Trove/Google etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

JAPANESE FOOTBALL. (Includes a Team Photo)
The Australasian
(1910, May 7).
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article142925370

Mr. A. W. M'Lean, who sends the Japanese football picture, writes:—"I introduced the game into Japan this winter, and so far the results have been better than anticipated. Already four middle schools in this city are playing it.

Last edited:
#18 - Interesting article here suggesting that before WW1 killed University off they had turned bad partly because university exams had been moved to August, causing some players to drop out of the game.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/155520975

Last edited:
The Sporting Globe digitsed issues will be online on Trove in March 2015.

I am blocking out my calendar for the whole month. This is going to be massive.

I wish Inside Football would put their archive online, I've got no interest in the current product but would subscribe to get my hands on the old stuff. I know SLV has them on microfilm and the MCC Library has the physical copies but online would be ace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which eventually lead to South moving to Sydney a year or two later.
But it is interesting to look back and see talk of a side in Brisbane was already in the minds.

Carlton and Richmond ended up playing a game at Gabba for Commonwealth Games a couple of years later after playing off in 1982 grand final.

Four years later Brisbane Bears born as that 14th cub mentioned as an idea in that article.

Of course with South Melbourne relocated to Sydney the 13th cub ended up being from Perth instead in same off season Brisbane Bears created as the 14th.

#5 - The Collingwood cheersquad disbands in 1985
http://news.google.com.au/newspapers?id=y1VVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=VpUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5583,7515438

(Not a Trove one, might update the title)

I found the article underneath way more interesting of "VFL may scrap the Reserves"
Under 21s seen as the answer to cutting big costs.

In recent years I actually have proposed similar thing from different direction of scrap the under 18's and current VFA-VFL hybrid comp to have an Under 21 comp re-directed to cover youth via VFA clubs and the Reserve Grade for the league comeback.

I found the article underneath way more interesting of "VFL may scrap the Reserves"
Under 21s seen as the answer to cutting big costs.

In recent years I actually have proposed similar thing from different direction of scrap the under 18's and current VFA-VFL hybrid comp to have an Under 21 comp re-directed to cover youth via VFA clubs and the Reserve Grade for the league comeback.

How long was paul bahen gm of collingwood?

I doubt long. I not even remember his name so could not have held the position for too many years. This was a time the Pies were in a lot of trouble. This was stage of transition of clubs like Collingwood and about five or six others in real financial trouble. West Coast and Brisbane licence fees would help ease the financial trouble indirectly via the League. I suspect he was not in that position in later 80's and a new regime took over at Collingwood some time in between and old people moved on.

Peter Bahen was Collingwood General Manager from 1983 (at some stage of the year) to 1986 (14 April): https://australianfootball.com/clubs/honour_board/collingwood/4

As far as seismic days in the 125-year history of the Collingwood Football Club, it is difficult to imagine a more tumultuous few hours than what occurred on Monday 14 April, 1986.

On that day, it was announced the Magpies had lost a president, a senior coach and a general manager at a time when the club was $3 million in debt and asking its players to take a 20 per cent pay cut to stave off bankruptcy.

As one of those casualties, sacked general manager Peter Bahen said at the time: "Unfortunately, with everyone screaming for blood, there had to be a few bodies."

Recently, a treasure trove of Fitzroy memorabilia, dating back about 120 years & worth about $80,000, has been discovered...& it was nearly all thrown into the rubbish bin!

Herald Sun 30.6.19 Jon Anderson "Shout Column".

The article is behind a paywall-can anyone open it, & post it here.

Last edited:
Geelong - Nth mel 1964
any more info on this incident ? (post 1956 so little on trove)

From The Age 30 September 1964:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back