Preview Round 14 - Geelong vs its mental demons (a.k.a. The post-bye) and also Port, Saturday 22 June @ 7:40pm @ AO

Will Geelong win post-bye?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just caught last week's ep of Talking Footy where they were talkin' about the Cats and how we are winning games this year.

It seems our back 6 don't really push forward that much, so play as 'defenders' in the backline. When the ball goes down there, they are able to 'defend' and return the ball forward.

When we do go forward, one of our guys - usually a tall - goes for the mark. If he doesn't take it, there's 2-4 players at the drop of the ball to grab it, pass off a quick handball to another, who snaps for goal.

It's also been reported we've been putting time into practicing those snaps and general 'kicking for goal'.

Paul Roos was recommending opposition supporters to go to Cats games live to see how they do it - "it's a great watch".

I'm not sure this radical game-plan will be picked apart by Port in time for Saturday's game.

Mot

Motlops last couple of years at Geel - and considering 1 of those years he came back in pre season so out of condition he looked like a broodmare in foal - was like watching Geel in the shocking handbag days - where things like chasing tackling - a genuine effort - were optional week to week - you know if im in the mood i will do it - if im not - then you supporters are just going to have to put up with it - stiff

You look at Atkins - who talent wise is borderline AFL - spent quite a few years in VFL etc - however as a supporter - if you pay your money at the gate via a membership ticket - then all is very good - because he tries every week - he earns his pay packet .

And this is why Atkins gets the love he does and he's earned it.

GO Catters

And this is why Atkins gets the love he does and he's earned it.

GO Catters
Absolutely. What so many people don't understand is that pressure forwards don't need to stick a tackle and get a free for HTB to be worthy inclusions. They just need to put pressure on the opposition. It makes such a huge difference if a backman has to kick a ball out of defense off-balance because someone like Rohan was closing in on him and not giving him enough space to steady for an extra half a second. Every pressure act makes a difference, and you can see it all over the forward half this year.

Will there be any chance that the cat's won't take PA lightly this saturday night. Complacency will be the one that will do a number on us, because you look at the side's and i can not see where we'll lose. There rucks in Ryder/Lycett are so out of form,
There mids might break even against ours but our backline is second to none and our fwd line and options should be too much for them.

I'm not worried about the so-called post-bye hoodoo - We are BETTER, WAY BETTER than Port, so we should win and win big as long as we come to play, which we will :moustache::thumbsu:

I am only concerned about losing after the bye if it represents a weakness that will be exposed in finals, other than that if you lose you lose.
Port at home will be a solid test , looking forward to it as I'm sure the team will be :thumbsu:

Sounds like Sav is on track:

GEELONG will make a call on Esava Ratugolea’s availability to take on Port Adelaide on Wednesday as the emerging forward continues to make a case for selection following a hamstring scare in the Round 12 win against Richmond.

Ratugolea has completed two pain-free running sessions in recent days and will train with the Cats’ main group on Wednesday, where he will need to prove his fitness in front of selectors.

If they get Dixon, Wines and Ebert back (not sure where Rockliff is up to but him too) then we are up for a tough game
Westhoff hitting form alongside Dixon is tough, Ebert, Boak, Wines Rockliff and Powell Pepper are 5 very tough mid/forwards to take to task
Add the two Grays to that and they have a super midfield and forward line
I think we'll win this one, but it won't be easy

I live in SA, we go to the games but don’t wear our colours, go undercover and no one will start on you. We had a bad experience at Footy park with Port supporters and stopped going for a while.

It’s a tough crowd and that’s just the Adelaide Geelong supporters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone have an idea of the best/friendly places to sit at Adelaide oval?
I'm taking my 9yo son and really keen on getting us both out of there alive.
The hill people can get a bit drunk and sweary but haven't seen any massive issues anywhere. There's one dude that sits behind us and he goes off every match when they're losing but I think he has autism or something and he's about the only bad egg I've seen. The port fans are generally quite friendly although I may be biased having married one.
I live in SA, we go to the games but don’t wear our colours, go undercover and no one will start on you. We had a bad experience at Footy park with Port supporters and stopped going for a while.
I've been going in geelong gear to every port vs cats game since 2011 and never had an issue. One guy told me the Coorong was a nice day trip once.

The hill people can get a bit drunk and sweary but haven't seen any massive issues anywhere. There's one dude that sits behind us and he goes off every match when they're losing but I think he has autism or something and he's about the only bad egg I've seen. The port fans are generally quite friendly although I may be biased having married one.

I've been going in geelong gear to every port vs cats game since 2011 and never had an issue. One guy told me the Coorong was a nice day trip once.

So in general nicer than Adelaide supporters? I’ve been to two games Adel and one Port; would have to agree with you in general Port fans seem ‘normal’ footy supporters.

This time we will win I believe, we are a different team this season with a mix of old and new players that play well together, this has to be the solution to our after bye losses, if this isn't the case then it's an all in their mind situation which is hard to break especially after this time.

Looking forward to the game, also, Congrats to Hazza on 250 games and Cam on 150 games! 👍🏼

Players who didn't play in our post-bye loss last year: Rohan, Ratugolea, Miers, Atkins, O'Connor
Players who played in our post-bye loss, but won: Dahlhaus
Players who played in our post-bye loss last year, but (probably*) won't be playing this Saturday: Murdoch, Parsons*, Narkle*, Menegola, Bews*, Cunico

That's quite a turnover.

So in general nicer than Adelaide supporters? I’ve been to two games Adel and one Port; would have to agree with you in general Port fans seem ‘normal’ footy supporters.

That's been my experience, but they're both fairly tame I think. Once I had an old man at a crows match turn around and tell me I was the most annoying person he'd ever met, but fairs fair i was smack talking to a mate next to me the whole match. I would not shut up about the number of rookies and late picks we had on the field

Will there be any chance that the cat's won't take PA lightly this saturday night.
I don't believe that they will take any game lightly. And the players are well aware of the post bye blues.

Port will throw everything at us, their season is on the line after a terrible loss to Freo. For us, the main thing is the "post-bye hoodoo". I'm very confident and if we lose no difference to our position on the ladder, however if we win the psychological impact will be very good. Another buried hoodoo, another interstate win.

Need to watch Walters like a hawk, probably a job for Cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back