Review Good/Bad vs Geelong at Kardinia, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen it all before.

4-5 goal loss.
Guthrie going mental.
Encino Man kicking goals for fun.
Selwood doing as he pleased.
Forward line entries consisting of kicking it straight to Taylor/Stewart/whoever was loose in defence.

Not sure why anyone thought it'd be any different. We haven't beaten anyone other than GWS who are pretty bad away from home, and we were playing the top team on their home deck which we also haven't won at since 2003.

File it under games we'll learn nothing from and move on to winning the Showdown.

I guess if there was a family reunion at Geelong, there would be that figure but I am" plucking that figure" from teams we play at the MCG that their supporters don't take ICE and **** family members.

Seriously, ******** with your "You should play at our septic tank" mentality. The ground is a joke, either the AFL let Carlton play at Princesses Park or you just come up to the big league and play at proper grounds that hold finals. I mean, what happened last time, it was straight sets because you couldn't get a game at Incest park.

Factually inaccurate because we won finals at the MCG in our last two finals campaigns after finishing top 4.

Thanks for the laugh on the way home from the game and hope the melt made you feel better.

WB vs Adelaide in the 2015 elimination final attendance was 60,782. More than likely a geelong vs Adelaide qualifying final easily breaks the 50 mark.

Yes of course a final between our teams draws 50k plus at the MCG. The conversation was about a H&A game, and there is absolutely no way a H&A game between our teams draws 50k in Melbourne. None. Zilch.

It’s as clueless a statement as Kornes claiming a Melbourne showdown would pull 80k.

Factually inaccurate because we won finals at the MCG in our last two finals campaigns after finishing top 4.

Thanks for the laugh on the way home from the game and hope the melt made you feel better.

OK you beat Richmond then? That's why you were second and collapsed

I guess that will make you feel better when you lose again when final come around

OK you beat Richmond then? That's why you were second and collapsed

A Crows supporter bringing up Richmond’s 2017 campaign is nothing if not brave.

Enjoy your evening.

I am disappointed that we lost especially when we were ahead by 20 points and that margin disappeared so easily. YEs we had some players who struggled but lets not forget that we played at a venue that appears to be a graveyard for us and many other sides plus we played a team that just happens to be sitting on the top of the ladder with 12 /2 record. I mean lets face it they are a bloody good side. We pushed them so lets not start calling our players f***kwits.

I do agree that Douglas and Gibbs need to be looked at and I was disappointed with Davis. Would now like to see a few other faces get a game. McHenry When fit) and Jones should be added and Brouch needs more kicking practice.

Wasn’t it ROBs first game this year against the cats where he got destroyed against Stanley? How quick things change

Rob, Sloane, Seedsman, Kelly, Hartigan, Atkins all pretty good tonight.

Our bottom 4-6 players are killing us atm. Not enough of a contribution. At some stage gooch has to get 20+ touches. Enough of these 11, 12 possesion matches

Never really looked like winning. We're quite a ways off.

Midfield desperately lacks a combo ball winning line breaking precision passing player like Tim Kelly. Everyone we've got is one or two at most, few hard working two way runners, and no pace. Same old story of quality vs quantity in clearances, until they started winning the quantity battle too and shut the door.

Forward line doesn't have a setup or strategy. At all.

Back line keeping us theoretically in the season, but can't get the job done against real contenders on its own.

Gibbs and Douglas should never be picked again, Douglas is passed it and should have finished 2 years ago, Whilst Gibbs is just an absolute passenger with no heart, I expected him to at least have a good crack tonight but nope. Weak as piss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played some of our best footy for the year in that first half. That's not saying a lot cos I've been pretty disappointed with our form.

Anyway, Geelong played some excellent footy. We let them get too loose but they executed well and sliced us up with their footskills. I don't think many other teams would have come close to them tonight. Couldn't match them in the second half. I don't know why everyone more upset after tonight. We're a bottom half of the 8 team.

Good :

ROB, Seed and Sloane and crouch our best

Kelly pretty good.

Atkins not bad

Hartigan reasonable

Keath good and bad

Tex until he got injured. Cops a lot of **** does tex.

Bad :

Laird. Wtf has happened to him?

Smith is out of sorts. I'm assuming teams are putting a lot of work into him. Need to reinvent his game.

Talia running on the spot.

Davis not ready.

Gooch fumbly

Berg not ready. I like him but he's too skinny.

B Crouch quiet

Killed on the outside as per usual. Get sucked into the contest, ball spills out to their runners. Every year the same thing.

Need some more class in the midfield. Not just a ball winner but a calm head with smarts and good skills.
Mackay has to play we have no runners

This club is going nowhere under Pyke unless he is able to reinvent himself.

Too conservative, zero plan b, myopic selections, too much faith in non performing senior players etc

The like for like changes of Jenkins for Himmelberg and bringing in Davis to play in Lynch's role are prime examples of Pyke's shortcomings as a coach.

Every change that is made lately seems to not be about rewarding form, but more about just replacing a like for like to fit in with Pyke's one dimensional gameplan.

All it ever seems to be is to just hold firm to Pyke's Plan A and never waiver, there is zero creativity with selections or the game plan.

When will Pyke ever wake up and play Tex out of the goal square? How many times does Pyke have to watch him aimlessly running around half forward absolutely having zero impact on the game before the penny drops?

When will Pyke realise that we had too many inside mids in our midfield mix which limits us from generate anywhere near enough run from our midfield.

As much as I can't stand Chris Scott, he's realised that he needed to make some changes to their structure so with moves like Blicavs to defence, Duckwood to the wing, Ablett up forward, bringing in Dahlhaus and Rohan and going with a different midfield structure has seen them becomes serious contenders this year.

Will Pyke ever have an epiphany or will he just continue to stand there holding firm like Neil Craig did and watch us inch further and further towards the cliff.

I particularly liked the part where the Geelong defender dived on the ball and dragged it in and Murphy pinned him 40 out directly in front and he held it under for 15 seconds until Murphy eventually raised both hands in a WTF to the umpire right there then the Geelong defender handballed it out and Taylor and Richardson praised him for being so brave as it went up the other end for a goal

This club is going nowhere under Pyke unless he is able to reinvent himself.

Too conservative, zero plan b, myopic selections, too much faith in non performing senior players etc

The like for like changes of Jenkins for Himmelberg and bringing in Davis to play in Lynch's role are prime examples of Pyke's shortcomings as a coach.

Every change that is made lately seems to not be about rewarding form, but more about just replacing a like for like to fit in with Pyke's one dimensional gameplan.

All it ever seems to be is to just hold firm to Pyke's Plan A and never waiver, there is zero creativity with selections or the game plan.

When will Pyke ever wake up and play Tex out of the goal square? How many times does Pyke have to watch him aimlessly running around half forward absolutely having zero impact on the game before the penny drops?

When will Pyke realise that we had too many inside mids in our midfield mix which limits us from generate anywhere near enough run from our midfield.

As much as I can't stand Chris Scott, he's realised that he needed to make some changes to their structure so with moves like Blicavs to defence, Duckwood to the wing, Ablett up forward, bringing in Dahlhaus and Rohan and going with a different midfield structure has seen them becomes serious contenders this year.

Will Pyke ever have an epiphany or will he just continue to stand there holding firm like Neil Craig did and watch us inch further and further towards the cliff.
Not sure how you blame Pyke out of that. We had them on the ropes 20 points up until the Crouches and Sloane went AWOL in the middle and contested ball dropped off a cliff.

Maybe you're right though. Maybe Pyke should've pulled the boots on, charged out there and led our midfield to stop an embarrassing 10 goal turn around.

Also, if you can't see the changes Pyke has made even this year since round 4 (let alone those prior to 2017) to get the most out of our limited list then probably nothing will ever satisfy you. Pyke would have a premiership by now if he was at Geelong all day every day.

If we were to let him go he would get snapped up before you could blink.

Then they should get a proper home ground. It is like when a person at work says "come to my house for a party" and you rock up and he lives in a caravan. You don't take pity on him, you call him out rightly for being a 1970s piece of **** bogan...which is all I am saying about paper bag park

GMHBA capacity (currently): 36,000 (40k when complete)
Geelong population: 253,000 (2016)
Residents per seat: 7/1~
Regional centre

Adelaide Oval capacity: 53,000
Adelaide population: 1.3 million (2016)
Residents per seat: 25/1~
State capital

Perhaps if Geelong were the only world class football venue in the state, they might get an additional 13,000 capacity :)

GMHBA capacity (currently): 36,000 (40k when complete)
Geelong population: 253,000 (2016)
Residents per seat: 7/1~
Regional centre

Adelaide Oval capacity: 53,000
Adelaide population: 1.3 million (2016)
Residents per seat: 25/1~
State capital

Perhaps if Geelong were the only world class football venue in the state, they might get an additional 13,000 capacity :)
Take it up with the AFL and insist you play all finals there, even against lower ranked Victorian teams. Whinging to us isn’t going to make any difference.

Was at the game - the collective circle jerking over Danger and Ablett was gross- Ablett flung his elbows a couple times off the ball that didn't collect - he has become a dirty sook

I totally thought Ben Davis would be taller than he is. Looked very small out there

Given we were essentially two players down because we insist on gifting games to Gibb's and Douglas I'm actually suprisingly OK with how close we kept it.

Field a full team and we win that game.

Good:
First half - some seriously good football and we really needed to be more ruthless.
Kelly & Hartigan were really solid.
Keath was mostly good.
ROB continuing to impress.
Seedsman, Sloane & MCrouch all good.
Thought Gooch was mostly clean and productive with ball. One bad entry I can remember.
Dangerfield was almost BOG for us.
Thought Atkins played well.

Bad:
Not firing a shot in the last quarter - really disappointing as we kept close enough at 3QT.
They seemed to push all our on-ballers into the stoppage whilst they waited on the outside waiting for it to spill and run away easily. This led to them having really damaging clearances and we had no answer to this.
Talia - seems to only play well when we are dominating otherwise he is continually beaten. He used to be able to beat his opponent regardless of how we were performing.
Brouch - very messy with the ball.
Davis - probably not ready yet.
Murphy - the new Petrenko/Wright. At least he tackles and pressures well (unlike Douglas)
Smith - was tagged and invisible.
Laird - always left alone by opponents as he is a diabolical kick of the footy.

Ugly:
Douglas - unbelievably bad. Padded his stats in the last with a few kicks coming from receiving kick ins. Reminded me of when he first started and he used to trip over his own feet. He is a complete momentum killer and offers nothing. His supporters will bring up his pressure numbers and his running distance but he only has such high figures because he never actually gets a tackle in and keeps running.
Gibbs - really wouldn't be disappointed is we de-listed him and cut our losses. Soft and peahearted.
Commentators fapping over Dangerfields toughness.
Thought I'd add in Himmelberg here too. I know he is a young bloke but he was mostly noncompetitive up forward and in the ruck. Fog would offer far more.

The hoodoo continues and we are yet to beat a good team away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back