Roast Bryce Gibbs

Remove this Banner Ad

The trade was a disaster but to be honest I still understand and agree with what we did. A the end of 2017 we needed to add A class talent to a team who had just lost the premiership and just lost two potential guns in Lever and Cameron. It's just a pity Gibbs turned out to be nowhere near an A grader and nowhere near the type of talent we actually needed.
100% agreed with this. However, at least Gibbs did have a solid season last year (4th in our B&F). None of us saw his 2019 decline coming. Pretty certain he'll be back to the SANFL this week.

The most frustrating thing watching Douglas is that he is still able to get to where the ball is, but then proceeds to fumble or slip over or get tackled.
He's also not hitting the scoreboard like he has in the past. 0-2 from 4 games this year. Must return to the SANFL.

Gibbs had the lowest time on ground in the team. If we were really trying to get him back in form wouldn't we have him on the ground as much as possible? Time to send him back the the SANFL for an extended period not one or two weeks but 4 or 5.

100% agreed with this. However, at least Gibbs did have a solid season last year (4th in our B&F). None of us saw his 2019 decline coming. Pretty certain he'll be back to the SANFL this week.
What do you mean no one saw his decline come? Read mine and others posts at the time. He was going to be 30, 31 and 32 years of age on the last three years of his contract. The tail end of it. Very few players keep at their peak into their 30s. Where as we gave up two possible 10 year first rounders for him. Was always a stupid trade, we were bent over and made to look stupid, especially after saying the year before he wasn't worth two firsts and it would be irresponsible to do that trade. Well that was about the ONLY thing the club got right about it. It was irresponsible and someone needs to pay the price for it.

What do you mean no one saw his decline come? Read mine and others posts at the time. He was going to be 30, 31 and 32 years of age on the last three years of his contract. The tail end of it. Very few players keep at their peak into their 30s. Where as we gave up two possible 10 year first rounders for him. Was always a stupid trade, we were bent over and made to look stupid, especially after saying the year before he wasn't worth two firsts and it would be irresponsible to do that trade. Well that was about the ONLY thing the club got right about it. It was irresponsible and someone needs to pay the price for it.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I meant his decline from season 2018 to season 2019. Not his predicted decline at the point of the trade. We all know the trade was a stuff up.

IMO, Gibbs is not the issue, our structure needs further tweaking. Gibbs job is not to get the hard ball, his job is to receive the ball and accurately get it away from congestion. I have said for a while we are too inside heavy. We need players who can run to space to link up. We no longer seem to run in packs. We may have the odd couple who do but it is not consistent. I don’t mind our current game plan because we have big bodied players who can steal the ball, please don’t shoot me but Mackay would be useful right now. He knows how to create space and his kicking is not too bad. Hopefully Pyke can address the structure fairly quickly. We have the cattle to go deep into December. Our mid is up there, our forward line dangerous and defence fairly tight.
We have to know when to hold it, Know when to run it, know when to crash it and know when to goose it.

If we can get this right, I honestly think we can compete with the top teams. Gibbs needs more running support. He can deliver as well asmost in the Como but when there is no one to pass It to, he looks like a deer in headlights

IMO, Gibbs is not the issue, our structure needs further tweaking. Gibbs job is not to get the hard ball, his job is to receive the ball and accurately get it away from congestion. I have said for a while we are too inside heavy. We need players who can run to space to link up. We no longer seem to run in packs. We may have the odd couple who do but it is not consistent. I don’t mind our current game plan because we have big bodied players who can steal the ball, please don’t shoot me but Mackay would be useful right now. He knows how to create space and his kicking is not too bad. Hopefully Pyke can address the structure fairly quickly. We have the cattle to go deep into December. Our mid is up there, our forward line dangerous and defence fairly tight.
We have to know when to hold it, Know when to run it, know when to crash it and know when to goose it.

If we can get this right, I honestly think we can compete with the top teams. Gibbs needs more running support. He can deliver as well asmost in the Como but when there is no one to pass It to, he looks like a deer in headlights

Mackay would be useful, my arse. He’s absolutely average in every sense of the word. He does nothing above average at AFL level. Hopefully he never plays another senior game for us.

Well your call was looking stupid the 1st half of last year wasn't it? BTW, we only gave up pick 10 in a weak draft and an equivalent 3rd rounder, didn't I already told you that so why do you continue to say it's 2 1st rounders AND that isn't taking into account where the 2018 draft was a lot more stronger than 2017 draft AND this pick allow us to do the GWS live pick trade so this trade ended up extremely well for us. We didn't do the previous year's trade as our 1st round pick wasn't a borderline 2nd rounder AND they didn't want to swap the future 2nd rounders with us. This was the smart/genius part of the trade that made it worthwhile for us, excellent trade as pick 10 in a weak draft and an equivalent 3rd rounder is well unders for Gibbs. We took the risk that they would finish very low and they eventually happen to finish last which was even better.

Physically he doesn't look cooked but mentally he does, there were noise he actually didn't want to leave Carlton but his wife did as she wasn't mentally coping well with a young child away from her family, and similar to the Dangerfield/Lever/Cameron situation, Gibbs chose his wife's decision (as he should).

I understand that whatever might be happening off field could be as weighing heavy on him, but apparently he was good in the sanfl and wasn’t totally unaccountable. So why hasn’t that form transitioned?

Maybe he should go on leave for the rest of year, and see if he can improve his mindset.

What if we take a different track - what if this isn't mental and Gibbs is actually cooked?

260 games, 30 years old and a lot of time carrying a pretty pathetic Carlton side, what if the body has just slowed down enough to ruin his game at an AFL level?

What if we take a different track - what if this isn't mental and Gibbs is actually cooked?

260 games, 30 years old and a lot of time carrying a pretty pathetic Carlton side, what if the body has just slowed down enough to ruin his game at an AFL level?
It's not a body issue but a mind issue.

Douglas on the otherhand...

It's not a body issue but a mind issue.

Douglas on the otherhand...

I have some issues believing that, if it was a mind issue, the SANFL performances wouldn't be as good. Especially on the defensive side of things, evidently Grigg has done enough there or otherwise Poholke would have been playing instead.

Worst case is this mind stuff is overblown, and it is body. It may be worth preparing for that regardless, as after all even if it it is mental and we call this season a write off, we've got a 31 year old we're hoping for a bounceback season from, not a comforting thought.

I have some issues believing that, if it was a mind issue, the SANFL performances wouldn't be as good. Especially on the defensive side of things, evidently Grigg has done enough there or otherwise Poholke would have been playing instead.

Worst case is this mind stuff is overblown, and it is body. It may be worth preparing for that regardless, as after all even if it it is mental and we call this season a write off, we've got a 31 year old we're hoping for a bounceback season from, not a comforting thought.
Believe what you want, but his mind is not fully focused on football & it is impacting on his form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was the crux of my previous points regarding Gibbs - if he has an off field issue that’s affecting him (addiction or whatever) it’s got going to change anything by alternating him between SANFL and AFL. Even if they put him in SANFL for the rest of his career, this isn’t going to change any off field dramas!
I hope that he sorts out whatever is going on. He's a talented player and easily in the best 22 if he's playing to his ability.

But he's just not. Doesn't deserve a game at the moment. Put him in the SANFL until he sorts out whatever it is that's going on. Give him all the support we can.

But don't select him, based solely on the fact he's not performing.

Well your call was looking stupid the 1st half of last year wasn't it? BTW, we only gave up pick 10 in a weak draft and an equivalent 3rd rounder, didn't I already told you that so why do you continue to say it's 2 1st rounders AND that isn't taking into account where the 2018 draft was a lot more stronger than 2017 draft AND this pick allow us to do the GWS live pick trade so this trade ended up extremely well for us. We didn't do the previous year's trade as our 1st round pick wasn't a borderline 2nd rounder AND they didn't want to swap the future 2nd rounders with us. This was the smart/genius part of the trade that made it worthwhile for us, excellent trade as pick 10 in a weak draft and an equivalent 3rd rounder is well unders for Gibbs. We took the risk that they would finish very low and they eventually happen to finish last which was even better.

Physically he doesn't look cooked but mentally he does, there were noise he actually didn't want to leave Carlton but his wife did as she wasn't mentally coping well with a young child away from her family, and similar to the Dangerfield/Lever/Cameron situation, Gibbs chose his wife's decision (as he should).
So what you are trying to say is that it looks like it hasn't been a good trade?

Am I naive to think he can still have a role to play for us in the finals? At his best he’s all class, and we desperately need him back at his best.

Beginning of last year he was good for 25+ and 1 goal a game. What’s happened??

Am I naive to think he can still have a role to play for us in the finals? At his best he’s all class, and we desperately need him back at his best.

Beginning of last year he was good for 25+ and 1 goal a game. What’s happened??

At this point, yup. At his best definitely, but his last game was more akin to a career killing game then anything else.

Believe what you want, but his mind is not fully focused on football & it is impacting on his form.

Yes, which is why his SANFL numbers have dropped away and he hasn't ended up recalled 4 times now.

If his mind is not fully focused on football, then we're incompetent for selecting him multiple times because it would have been obvious, even at an SANFL level. This whole "hes not mentally focused" seems more a convenient safety blanket now then actual reality.

Yes, which is why his SANFL numbers have dropped away and he hasn't ended up recalled 4 times now.

If his mind is not fully focused on football, then we're incompetent for selecting him multiple times because it would have been obvious, even at an SANFL level. This whole "hes not mentally focused" seems more a convenient safety blanket now then actual reality.
I agree with you on the AFL yoyo has not been good for Gibbs or the club.

No, it end up being a good trade because Carlton finished last, pick 10 in a weak draft and a 3rd rounder is unders for Gibbs.

Are you under the belief that if you keep posting your lies enough times people will come to believe it?

Part the fact Gibbs isn't and was never worth pick 10 in any draft.

Totally agree, someone who understands football. You can’t have all inside players that just bang the ball on their boot which is our Achilles heel. Geelong runs the ball from a pack with so much flow and system and they run in waves as they have link up players all over the ground. David Mackay is one of the few we have but you need five or six that can do this as Mackay often has no one to link with. I’ve been commenting about this for a while now. Not everyone can be inside and trading Henderson was stupid. The majority just want 18 Crouches on here. Football doesn’t work like that and the best teams run in waves and do not play stop start football like Adelaide, kicking from one contest to another.

Usually you can tell when there’s a physical issue, I’m not seeing any significant signs that’s the case.

Totally agree, someone who understands football. You can’t have all inside players that just bang the ball on their boot which is our Achilles heel. Geelong runs the ball from a pack with so much flow and system and they run in waves as they have link up players all over the ground. David Mackay is one of the few we have but you need five or six that can do this as Mackay often has no one to link with. I’ve been commenting about this for a while now. Not everyone can be inside and trading Henderson was stupid. The majority just want 18 Crouches on here. Football doesn’t work like that and the best teams run in waves and do not play stop start football like Adelaide, kicking from one contest to another.
I'm not disagreeing that mackay has good outside/inside link abilities but has plenty of opportunities for him to link through the middle and doesn't do it often. Atkins / seeds / milera manage it. Also he rarely chooses to gain metres through run and carry. Do you think he will be the difference in September?

Comments on others not knowing football.

Thinks we traded Henderson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back