Review R18: Adelaide v Essendon post-mortem (...please don't disturb our team, we're dead tired)

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't watch the second half but when I awoke at 3am I was not in the least surprised.

I will not be renewing beyond this season until I see real change in the club.

A few realities I have come to understand this year:
- The core playing list will not win us a premiership (Sloane, Tex, Betts, Jenkins, Laird, Crouches, Talia, etc)
- This coaching panel does not have what it takes to make the necessary changes and develop a game plan/attitudes to bring us success.
- The football administration is not efficient or ruthless enough.

Some changes I want to see:

Coaches - Sack Campo, Hart & Clarke (Clarke has been given a pass because of his success with the AFLW team but I believe that group of players were good enough to win no matter who was coaching them)

Players - Time to move on Mackay, Douglas, Jacobs, Otten, Laird. Tex, Betts & Talia to retire over the next few years.

Admin - Time to * off Burton. I loved him as a player (hence the username) but he is in no way the best man for the job. Hass to go as well.

We have deluded ourselves into thinking we are close to a premiership since we almost got one in 17. That team of players were blamed for that day and I believe they will never forgive the coaches for doing so and then putting them through a camp to mentally toughen up. We need to accept we are probably 5-10 years off competing again.

I'd have nearly every player in the squad on the trade table.

Exceptions: Sloane and Talia (leadership), Milera, Doedee and O'Brien (young talent) and most sub-15 game players

I probably wouldn't want to trade Matt Crouch or Smith but would consider it for a good price.

Every one else though is fair game
Brown is not on the table very important player

Awful last night, from the minute we didn't chase back for those last two first half goals.

And we couldn't hold anyone in the tackle. That has been going on from years.

Got fed up with the commentators talking about Essendon's inferior personnel (from their best 18) - they had an abundance of single digit draft picks out there, the ones we just don't have access to. And when we might do for once, Carlton start winning (under someone I would like to have coaching us next year) and we could well slip down to Pick 5 or something.

We are in the middle of five games where I put us down for at least 4 wins - Port and Essendon have already beaten us in that streak.

I have to go and watch this cr*p next week. Any thoughts of 'well we won't come up with that rubbish again' are put to sleep with the club's apparent lack of embarrassment about the Port defeat. Just what does Pyke say to the players at half time exactly? Anyone who knows soccer will understand when I say he is fast becoming the Maurizio Sarri of AFL.

And most have at least 2 years left
Gonna be an expensive exercise playing half these guys in the reserves for a season and a half. I can’t see Walker Betts or Talia being physically capable of lasting any longer than half of next season, even after yet another best ever pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From top to bottom we are an arrogant, incompetent organization defined only by cronyism and a total lack of accountability. We are getting exactly what we deserve.

A major clean out is needed, but it won't happen. The most we'll get is Pyke being sacked while everyone else keeps their snouts buried deep in the AFC trough. Absolutely disgusting organization.
When's the Annual General Meeting this year? These clowns need to be told very clearly how badly they are failing.

This is turning into yet another wasted season. There seems to be no imagination / appetite for risk. We can't keep loosing good players year after year and not think there is a big cultural issue at the club. Wholesale changes required, starting at the top.

A lot love to bag Tex but I wonder do those really watch what’s going on?

The number of times he leads and is clear and we don’t kick to him is unbelievable. It’s not like he’s hiding in a pocket so they don’t see him, he’s 15-20 metres ahead of them actually calling for the ball, but they choose worse stupid options. I’m surprised he doesn’t lose his s**t at them.

He’s obviously getting on and slower, he’s never been a great mark but what he’s always been able to do is time his leads. He just needs some players ahead of him with some composure and skill and he could still be a damaging forward.

I know I wasn’t imagining it, the mate I was with saw it as well.

That’s true to a degree. I’d love to see the stats but Milera wasn’t in the middle anywhere near often enough.

That said, Tex loses most one on ones when the lace out pass fails to come, then is incapable of chasing. In a forward line nicknamed The Trampoline he’s one of the big problems.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry for intrude I mean no harm.

What happened to the young Key Forward you guys had early last year?

One observation on your midfield, they are individually very good and smart footballers, the brothers, Sloane etc, however they are very one paced. Once sides get you on the outside and second halves when fatigue sets in, they seem to get blown out of the water.

I wouldn't get too worried, there's a pretty strong list there, might just need to rearrange a few deck chairs and use Carltons pick wisely!
Except we’re going to roll over and get beaten by Carlton and make that pick drop back a place or two. Watch this space.

That’s true to a degree. I’d love to see the stats but Milera wasn’t in the middle anywhere near often enough.

That said, Tex loses most one on ones when the lace out pass fails to come, then is incapable of chasing. In a forward line nicknamed The Trampoline he’s one of the big problems.

Milera was one of the only players who passed to him.

For all the talk Milera spent * all time in the midfield and I hope our Essendon friend does the stats again because I suspect Smith did as well. We reverted back to Matt, Brad and Sloane. Only in the last did we make any change.

I get that about Tex and he is getting on, but it doesn’t discount the fact our players don’t pass to him. If they hit him with one pass a quarter that’s 2-3 goals a game. I reckon I counted about 10 leads by half time that weren’t honoured. To me that shows we have far bigger issues than Tex, our players lack composure and skill, that won’t be improved when Tex goes.

Gonna be an expensive exercise playing half these guys in the reserves for a season and a half. I can’t see Walker Betts or Talia being physically capable of lasting any longer than half of next season, even after yet another best ever pre-season.

We need to force Tex to retire

Pardon the intrusion.

Do like the crows, and i'm stunned we beat you at AO.

The inability to stop momentum and handle pressure around the ball seems to be the hallmark of the crows losing games
Talent is there, and your ball use is sublime when the pressure is off.

Have seen Port, Bris and now the Dons apply pressure and wrestle away momentum for wins.
Coaches need to adjust something with the mentality of the group.

Something that would need to be developed over a preseason. This has been happening for 20 years including the GF year. Fold when it gets tough

Our tackling is atrocious, we couldn’t stop them from running the ball when we inevitably turned the ball over.
We have no forward half pressure to create turnovers ourselves.

It amazes me that with all of the analysis that the coaching staff and players carry out that we have not seen any major changes in an effort to sort out these two major issues.

At one stage Dylan Shiel ran from halfback through the middle of the ground and at least 4 of our players refused to put pressure on him, so he kept running and kicked a goal from 50, this just optimised our lack of pressure.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Missed the last 3 quarters as I had to go to a concert (Charly Bliss). It was really, really good so I can’t pretend to be mad atm.

Mate I just had to come in here and applaud your taste in music. Legend!

Good luck to all the Adelaide supporters - hope you guys still make finals. Your first half field kicking in particular was sublime.

Milera was one of the only players who passed to him.

For all the talk Milera spent fu** all time in the midfield and I hope our Essendon friend does the stats again because I suspect Smith did as well. We reverted back to Matt, Brad and Sloane. Only in the last did we make any change.

I get that about Tex and he is getting on, but it doesn’t discount the fact our players don’t pass to him. If they hit him with one pass a quarter that’s 2-3 goals a game. I reckon I counted about 10 leads by half time that weren’t honoured. To me that shows we have far bigger issues than Tex, our players lack composure and skill, that won’t be improved when Tex goes.

The midfield escapes scrutiny with the coaches because they prob just look at clearance stats and possession counts and say ‘well done boys’

What about tackles, defensive running, missed passes, wrong options etc etc.

Sloane was utterly disgraceful last night...have we ever had a star player so useless at coping with a tag? Not only did his possession count drop but his skills were deplorable. Is something going wrong in private life? His head doesn’t seem in the game.

Matt honestly doesn’t care one bit about the damage his opponents do. It’s all about sagging off to receive a handball or short kick then give off the same, preferably with a one-two to boost the numbers. His metres gained per possession would be near the lowest in the league.

Brad also doesn’t care about the team defence. Also stat pads. He just does it with more pace but lacks Matt’s composure. His kicking skills and decision making are so substandard. He’s almost in Ollie Wines territory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back