Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he was pretty good against GC Suns - did some nice things. A better game, and probably keep him in for next week on the absence of others coming back into the team.

Needs a hair cut though

As does Sidey, fast developing an unruly mop.

His hair is truly awful. In another dimension of awfulness. As one astute poster has already pointed out, he wastes a lot of energy organising his hair on the field. It’s a mop; it’s a distraction; it’s gotta go.
This drives me nuts. Trim those sideburns Mattingly.

His hair is truly awful. In another dimension of awfulness. As one astute poster has already pointed out, he wastes a lot of energy organising his hair on the field. It’s a mop; it’s a distraction; it’s gotta go.
Stephenson "fixes" his hair a lot, but only after goals, so he can mess with it as much as he likes.

Remember when everyone wanted Moore to cut his hair. Look how well that worked out.
Moore's hair was fine, that asinine headband was the problem.

Good test for him this week, midfield of Jones, Oliver, Viney and Bradshaw will be a lot tougher than the GC midfield we faced on Sunday.

But the signs were good. Good to see him played in his natural position too.

I don’t mind the idea of having him in the middle with Treloar and Pendlebury or Adams. Releases one of Pendlebury and Adams to play a half back/wing role and Steele can spend a bit more time up forward.

Looking forward to seeing how Rupe goes this week.

His hair is truly awful. In another dimension of awfulness.

His hair is a homage to the golden era of the 1970’s ...

... he just needs to grow a moustache to go with his ‘do:

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has a month to save his career. His first test against GC was passed with flying colours. But its gets progressively harder now each week against stronger opposition.

This is a true test this week against a strong Melbourne midfield.

I have no concerns about his ability to win it in close, but the best big bodied mids can also break from a stoppage. At this stage, he is very much just a stoppage player, and once he gets the ball out he is pretty useless around the field. Considering our midfield has been so poor from clearances, I think he is desperately needed in the absence of Sier or De Goey in there. If he doesn't win the ball, he neutralizes it through a tackle so we get a secondary stoppage.

I've only had time to replay the first quarter but Rupe was good early on when the team was playing with no confidence. He went in pretty hard and got the ball out... which is one of the main reasons why he's in there... and it looked like he made a conscious decision to go in hard. I think he would be an even better player if he really believed that he deserved to be in the side. I think he deserves another year....

Issue with Wills, even in his preferred inside mid role, has always been that he lacked involvement away from the clearances but he went some way toward addressing that yesterday. Has earned another game against the Dees and it will be interesting to see how he goes against their midfield.
Is this based on VFL? Because he hasn't had many AFL opportunities in his preferred role, before Sunday it was a couple of games in his first season at the club.

Remember when everyone wanted Moore to cut his hair. Look how well that worked out.
It was a misunderstanding with the hairdresser. Moore said: "Just cut a bit off the back and me happy." But the hairdresser heard. " Just cut a bit off the back and me hammy."

Is this based on VFL? Because he hasn't had many AFL opportunities in his preferred role, before Sunday it was a couple of games in his first season at the club.

Both, although much more pronounced at senior level until Sunday's game which I thought was akin to his better VFL performances that I've seen. Hopefully he can build on that because we need his clearance work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back