2019 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Graham, Ross, Balta, Garthwaite, Naish, Eggs, Stack, Higgins, Chol, RCD, CCJ, and Markov are all banging on the door for senior spots. How many replacements do you want?

We already have a lot of competition for 2020 spots, this draft was always going to be about developing players for the mid term
Mario was ain’t doing anything but the rest are. I want us to find replacements for all of them as I’m not sure that all of the youth that we currently have are going to replace every single one of the seniors that we currently have. If we want to remain on top when the likes of Dusty, Cotch, Riewoldt and Rance retire then we need it to be a revolving door

Mario was ain’t doing anything but the rest are. I want us to find replacements for all of them as I’m not sure that all of the youth that we currently have are going to replace every single one of the seniors that we currently have. If we want to remain on top when the likes of Dusty, Cotch, Riewoldt and Rance retire then we need it to be a revolving door

1) you're not gunna find a replacement for dusty, he's a freak

2) Rance is arguably best full back ever, it's hardly a knock on Garth that he isn't at that level, noone else is either

3) Lynch is the reiwoldt replacement, and I wouldn't be shocked if Chol takes the gig as second forward when Jack leaves (needs to improve his marking, but his accuracy is bang on)

4) vlastuin is next captain imo, and we have plenty of mids coming through to replace Cotch as we saw this year

Who they picked: 21. Thomson Dow (Bendigo Pioneers), 43. Noah Cumberland(Brisbane Lions Academy), 44. William Martyn (Brisbane Lions Academy), 46. Hugo Ralphsmith (Sandringham Dragons), 54. Bigoa Nyuon (Dandenong Stingrays)

TIGERS' DRAFT HAUL Highlights and bios of your club's newest players

What the club says: "Why not? That's what we're paid to do. We never sit at the start of the night planning to bid on a player, we have a ranking and if they come up at our picks and they're still available, we're paid to pick the best players for the Richmond footy club. If they're our picks, we bid, and if it's matched, we go to the next one on the board. It's pretty clear-cut for us." - Richmond national recruiting manager Matthew Clarke on bidding on Academy players

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-28/who-smashed-it-our-say-on-your-clubs-draft-performance

The club says the players they picked were best available in their rankings at the time that we picked them so that’s good enough for me. Yes, we probably didn’t get the guys we wanted but that’s obviously what happens when you win a Premiership - you choose last.

2) Rance is arguably best full back ever, it's hardly a knock on Garth that he isn't at that level, noone else is either

3) Lynch is the reiwoldt replacement, and I wouldn't be shocked if Chol takes the gig as second forward when Jack leaves (needs to improve his marking, but his accuracy is bang on)

4) vlastuin is next captain imo, and we have plenty of mids coming through to replace Cotch as we saw this year
1. But I want someone else to take over the don’t argue duties :(

2. Yeah but maybe Balta might end up an adequate replacement.

3. Lynch has already replaced Riewoldt :p

4. Ross is the one to replace Cotchin in my opinion. But then we need Ross replaced.

I’m saying that I like us recruiting project players because they’d be ready when our seniors retire, which is what the club seems to have done in this draft.

1. But I want someone else to take over the don’t argue duties :(

2. Yeah but maybe Balta might end up an adequate replacement.

3. Lynch has already replaced Riewoldt :p

4. Ross is the one to replace Cotchin in my opinion. But then we need Ross replaced.

I’m saying that I like us recruiting project players because they’d be ready when our seniors retire, which is what the club seems to have done in this draft.

I actually like the idea of Balta on the wing, like Richo in his later days.

Ross I agree, and that's what this draft was about, getting more mids to come in behind him in 2-3 years

Remember we had Cotch, rance, and jack out for much of the season, and it was only when the replacements starting getting injured we really slumped.

This is the key point that everyone needs to keep in mind when looking at our selections.

None of them are for the now, we dont need anything for the now.

A few of these guys have only just turned 18 or are yet to turn 18, real long game drafting.

I like it!
Need a podcast discussion on the long term outcome of the RFC Draft picks...have Clarkey do a chat about their reasoning in choices... 👍:D👍

The round 2 pick we got from the Pies is the Saints round 2 pick for 2020 as the Pies had traded their pick to Brisbane already.

Thank you
I expect the saints to improve but it should mean we gain half a dozen spots next year atleast.

Not worried about this year, so much, if we didn't want Bianco, but worried we finish lower then the Magpies, who were a Prelim team unlucky not to face us in GF.

Its a Risky trade that could move us down a bit in 2020.

It’s linked to where st kilda finishes so I am ok with it

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Possibly not, hope so.

I think the best chance is Ralphsmith.

Because the scope is there and its more foreseeable.

I doubt Martyn will even if he improves will likely be superseded.

Cumberland, you never know might be a bit like the Lions captain.

The tall Sudanese is a hail mary, possible but the trouble is he has our ruch division to compete against and has to get size for KPP. Anything is possible but will not be easy for him.

If the Sudanese beats the odds he will have to become a hell of a player.

I hope they all make it but they are speculative even Dow

You know I had a look at RFC website highlights of Bigoa. His visual physicals are off my charts. He could be anything. I actually would not play Bigoa in the ruck KPP until he develops more size in his body and he needs to take care not to put too much weight on his legs. Still 195 cm is a nice size for someone of his athletic profile even for ruck. Look I would play him on the wing in a Richo role initially and see what happens. His compactness and apparent balance for a guy his height looks unbelievable. If he has great hands look out Chol might be able to help him. I can see why RFC took a punt on him in the draft.

The other thing is Ralphsmith is listed as a forward although he looks like a winger. He has a long boot on him to so he has some versatility in his game which will help him
Is the Club punting on another Aliir Aliir coming through for us...?!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I like the picks, I think Cumberland will probably be the breakout to play games next year with Martyn needing the most development. If Dow turns into the bigger & stronger Edwards prototype how can anyone knock that, we havent really got anyone else like Edwards on our list. Overall I'm really happy

RICHMOND TIGERS
21. THOMSON DOW

182cm, 72kg, Midfielder, Bendigo Pioneers

43. NOAH CUMBERLAND

183cm, 79kg, Midfielder, Brisbane Lions Academy

44. WILL MARTYN

183cm, 73kg, Midfielder, Brisbane Lions Academy

46. HUGO RALPHSMITH

186cm, 70kg, Forward, Sandringham Dragons

54. BIGOA NYUON

195cm, 87kg, Ruck, Dandenong Stingrays

Two months after Richmond crashed Brisbane’s Gabba party in the qualifying final the Tigers last night crashed the Lions’ draft party, pinching two kids from their talent academy. Next up was St Kilda, with Richmond stealing Next Generation Academy gun ‘Biggy’ Nyuon, who plays with springs in his legs.

Coach Damien Hardwick’s next midfield will start its career learning off Brownlow Medallists Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin. In Cumberland the Tigers have an inside bull with a clever sidestep while in Martyn they have a ball magnet. In Ralphsmith they have the best name in the draft and the son of ex-Hawks and Saints player Sean. Ralphsmith is a gifted athlete with a knack for finding the sticks.

SAM LANDSBERGER’S VERDICT

Like a polygraph the Tigers kept everyone honest last night, bidding on a bunch of academy players and securing three of them. Kudos to Richmond for doing plenty of homework. The eruption of joy at Thomson Dow’s dimly lit Swan Hill home was mutual, because the Tigers can’t wait to get his lightning hands into Punt Rd. The five teens taken have completed the senior list for 2020.

Thomson Dow will be dreaming of a Round 1 debut for the Tigers against his Blue brother Paddy Dow. Picture: Getty Images

Thomson Dow will be dreaming of a Round 1 debut for the Tigers against his Blue brother Paddy Dow. Picture: Getty Images

Bit iffy about that haircut!

So let's say we finish top 4 at a minimum and the Saints miss the finals and finish 10th? We would have picks 15 and 27? Either way it should be 2 picks inside 30. It's a good spot to be when lots of clubs will be after academy points.

Could see us bundling points for a top 10 pick easily. Good thing to have if we want to trade for a good player.
Love a good bundle!

We are very unlikely to draft another player like Dusty. Especially with finishing high on the ladder and lack of early draft picks as a result. What the club needs to do as far as replacing Dusty when he retires in the future is to do via Free Agency or trade.

Regardless I think Dusty has another 3-4 years before his form drops noticably and about 5-6 before he retires.

I actually like the idea of Balta on the wing, like Richo in his later days.

Ross I agree, and that's what this draft was about, getting more mids to come in behind him in 2-3 years

Remember we had Cotch, rance, and jack out for much of the season, and it was only when the replacements starting getting injured we really slumped.
I forgot that injuries to our best players was a thing this year. This season has turned into a bit of a blur for me. I even forgot we had Rance our for the whole year.

Balta is such an explosive player that I think a wing would suit him. I low key have a dream that he becomes a midfielder. His booming kick takes us straight to our forward line.

Yeah Ross is an accumulator in the midfield and has already stepped up in Cotch’s role as a teenager earlier this year

So let's say we finish top 4 at a minimum and the Saints miss the finals and finish 10th? We would have picks 15 and 27? Either way it should be 2 picks inside 30. It's a good spot to be when lots of clubs will be after academy points.

Could see us bundling points for a top 10 pick easily. Good thing to have if we want to trade for a good player.
Bend GC over for pick 1. Delicious

We do exactly what we did this year when Rance went down and everyone wrote us off. We change our structure and give opportunities to others who deserve it. do not forget that this year we won a GF with the worst injury list in the league for 12 rounds. We played 40 different players, which 35 will return/ Of the 5 that left only 1 (B.Ellis) was a starter.

I cant say i know squat of these kids overall, but i read our recruiting to be very much a blueprint for the future and where we see the game heading. Speed and quick hands. We won 2017 based on style over talent and i think we are already planning our next game changer. When drafting in from the top, on top of ridiculously compromised drafts - rebuilding without bottoming out will continue to be very hard. The only way you will maintain it is to evolve in style and be ahead of the curb. I think this draft shows a glimpse of that

Nailed it right there boyo.......that's exactly what's happening
Well then the RFC et al has to be very, very, very good at changing the direction of where the current AFL Football strategy and it's direction is heading...especially against 17 other competing professional clubs and the AFL (protecting 2 plastic franchises!) as well as it's biased tv interests...
And you-know-what...2 recent Premierships tells us we may have a very good chance at doing that...B2B here we come and for what follows! 👍;)👍

We are very unlikely to draft another player like Dusty. Especially with finishing high on the ladder and lack of early draft picks as a result. What the club needs to do as far as replacing Dusty when he retires in the future is to do via Free Agency or trade.

Regardless I think Dusty has another 3-4 years before his form drops noticably and about 5-6 before he retires.
He was our last top 5 pick man, it’s been a while. Dusty-level players are generally accessible with only a top 4-5 pick. Vlastuin was the last top 10 pick we drafted if we think about it.

Makes you realise how long we’ve been up for

Can't believe we didn't pick a player I heard of 5 mins ago based on a 1 minute highlight package. This club will never win a premiership. Disgusted.

I declare the 28th of November to officially be named, “y CoMe nO bIaNcO” Day, a celebration of the armchair recruiters who spent an afternoon on YouTube and a lifetime sniffing paint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back