Unpopular Port Adelaide opinion you may have

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
I wish I didn't see those in charge like this.
You can work out who the Wizard is yourselves.

View attachment 791174

I should be excited for 2020, but there's nothing.
I am looking forward to watching maggies games though, that was fun last year.
Toto's nowhere to be seen after running a disappointing sixth at Angle Park.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I get what you are saying but,

Blue doesn't define the Gold coast...like silver doesn't define us

Teal love it or hate it defines us.

Orange for GWS, purple for Freo

It doesn’t define us.

It’s unique to us in the AFL yes, but that doesn’t mean there’s any obligation for us to put it on everything or indeed anything.

As you’ve already pointed out it’s not on the current clash jumper at all, so a home PBs/clash with teal kit set would just be an switcheroo of the status quo.

NEGAN

Premium Gold
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It doesn’t define us.

It’s unique to us in the AFL yes, but that doesn’t mean there’s any obligation for us to put it on everything or indeed anything.

As you’ve already pointed out it’s not on the current clash jumper at all, so a home PBs/clash with teal kit set would just be an switcheroo of the status quo.
Hmmmm maybe, I still think in a generations time it will be a prominent schtick. We have grown up or been young enough to a associate with the PBs most of the youngsters these days will associate with the teal...

But if we do get the PBs I ain't going to complain either way.

Last edited:
I don't mind Michael Vaughan as a commentator.

(ok - maybe not a Port Adelaide opinion but unpopular nonetheless)
Alison Mitchell is a Port Adelaide member so if you bag her commentary then that will be an unpopular Port opinion.

I probably should know who Alison Mitchell is. Apologies in advance.
Dont you watch 7's cricket coverage or listen to the ABC call when you are in the car? The tall dark haired Pom. Mum grew up in one of the streets that surrounds Alberton Oval.

Honeyboy Wilson

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've been off Ken for years ever since he killed Butch's career (no one will convince me otherwise).

But I still remember when we thought he was a genius in 2013/14. I believe he's trying his best to win a flag every year. I agree with all the criticisms since. All of them. I'm not going to be sad if we miss the Finals and Ken is out, I'll be excited for the possibilities of a new coach.

But I still love our list. I still think we have the talent. And I still remember when I thought Ken was infallible.

I'm backing him in this year. At least until it looks like all hope is lost. I want to win. I want to go well. The way I see it, if he fails, he's out. But if he managed to somehow win us a final, I'm happy to be back on board. It doesn't mean that all my criticisms of the last 5 years go away. But I'm gonna give him the chance. Sure, there's the worst case scenario of sneaking into the finals, getting pummelled and still triggering another year of him, but there's no point thinking about that right now. I'd much rather be excited about seeing Robbie hopefully back to his best, our big bunch of young guns developing alongside the likes of Robbie and Boaky and continued improvement from players like Houston, Byrne-Jones and Amon.

Maybe Ken's finally figured it out this year, calling for his sacking right now achieves nothing. Going in actively hoping for him to fail achieves nothing. There can always be that point of the season where you can go back to that - and trust me, I will if it comes to it.

My unpopular opinion?

I'm getting behind Ken this year.

I've been off Ken for years ever since he killed Butch's career (no one will convince me otherwise).

But I still remember when we thought he was a genius in 2013/14. I believe he's trying his best to win a flag every year. I agree with all the criticisms since. All of them. I'm not going to be sad if we miss the Finals and Ken is out, I'll be excited for the possibilities of a new coach.

But I still love our list. I still think we have the talent. And I still remember when I thought Ken was infallible.

I'm backing him in this year. At least until it looks like all hope is lost. I want to win. I want to go well. The way I see it, if he fails, he's out. But if he managed to somehow win us a final, I'm happy to be back on board. It doesn't mean that all my criticisms of the last 5 years go away. But I'm gonna give him the chance. Sure, there's the worst case scenario of sneaking into the finals, getting pummelled and still triggering another year of him, but there's no point thinking about that right now. I'd much rather be excited about seeing Robbie hopefully back to his best, our big bunch of young guns developing alongside the likes of Robbie and Boaky and continued improvement from players like Houston, Byrne-Jones and Amon.

Maybe Ken's finally figured it out this year, calling for his sacking right now achieves nothing. Going in actively hoping for him to fail achieves nothing. There can always be that point of the season where you can go back to that - and trust me, I will if it comes to it.

My unpopular opinion?

This sounds exactly like something I would've written about 12 months ago.

Spoiler: It didn't end well for me.

Can only get strongly behind Ken if we win 16,17,18 or 19 games. Ie win those bloody games we get close in, as well as the ones when there is high expectations on us to win.

I just can't get excited to get strongly behind him if its rinse and repeat of the last 5 years, where we win 10-14 games, are competitive, just miss the finals or just make the finals, we are a 50/50 chance all the way up to Rd 23, and we still make the same * ups as we always do, he keeps his job and we continue the same malaise as the last 5 years for 1 to 3 more years after this one.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

My unpopular opinion?

You mean an elimination final? Or specifically the grand final?

Winning a 6th vs 7th final then losing the week after is a pretty bloody low bar, especially if we sacrifice the development of young players to achieve it like we did in 2019 (well in 2019 we doubly failed by sacrificing the development of youth to try to make the 8 and somehow still failed).

jack_black16

Club Legend
May 11, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Strange time to get behind Ken. There's been next to zero encouraging news coming out the club. No big trades, no assistant coach poaching, no star drafting.

It's been the off season of no news is bad news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The calm before the (s**t) storm?

If we won an elimination final that would represent the equal 2nd best season we have had in 13 years and the equal 3rd best season we have had since the 2004 premiership win 16 years ago. There's no chance of Hinkley being sacked under that scenario.

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Hinkley winning final and extending his contract one year is a fine scenario.

Him getting an extension beyond 2021 is a major concern

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Worst group of supporters. As bad as the Crows supporters are, being one eyed, we're far worse.
Biggest bunch of tossers going around, especially the BF/social media types.

Back