Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Elite cannot be judged on empirical evidence alone. Certainly not on a sample base of one year. Time is a factor and underwriting all of this is the intuitive

notion of an Elite performer. They shouldn't have to be researched or sought... they make themselves felt. If you have to ask the question then they are

not elite. A bit like falling 'in love'. If you have to ask yourself if you are 'in love'....then you haven't fallen... Well just my opinion.

Omh. Over my head. And I agree it can’t be based on one year. That is why I haven’t got Marshall as elite. One more like last year and he is very close. The rest is why to hard for me to comprehend.

Further to the question as to 'Who might be elite on our list?' I tend to agree that no body is at this stage. In a way that might be a good thing. Egos developed before any evidence of being deserved within a new team framework is the last thing we need. IMO the task is before all equally and the response over the next two or three years might clearly define the title of elite. Sure some have histories or obvious talents that would suggest their potential....but none stand out yet as say a Nick Riewoldt might have after a few seasons or in his case maybe even one..

I dunno about all that, I think our lists are fairly comparable; capable of finals but still a few elite players from being top four.

Marshal, Hill are elite, Billings, Gresham forward, Hanners, if fit, Robbo, and Dougal are on that next rung down. And our middle order guys are pretty bloody quality too with Clark, Snake, Wilkie, Steele. As for great white hopes, King and Bytel.

Also let's not forget the man we signed to a three year deal, the great Daniel Mckenzie.

My cousin plays for north though and what they do have is a great coach that the players love to play for.. hopefully we have the same now

Marshall is heading elite but probably just off that at the moment possibly comparable to an ageing Goldy. I don't think Hill is elite but still an excellent player. Probably fair to say Higgins and Hill are on par. Ben Brown is a regular top 2 in the league goal kicker, that puts him in the true elite category. Cunnington is a top shelf elite inside mid, we still don't have players yet that are in that bracket. Possibly a fit Hanners if he gets back. Jye Simpkin looks like he's got elite qualities and Tarryn Thomas is suer impressive. Probably compatrable to Hunter Clark and maybe say Josh Battle even though they are different players.

Roberton etc are pretty similar in quality to Tarrant etc. Who's you cousin Molts? I have a family friend's son playing in their VFL team. I know a guy who works there as well.

Their top end is a bit better than our IMO. Just more top shelf than our where we might be a bit deeper on the good but not excellent types.

well if you're regarded as the best wingman in the league by peeps like nicky dal and others I'm saying elite, even if hill's top 3, of of 36 starting wings that's elite. Marshall is a future prediction, but he will be elite next year purely due to his impact on the game, despite the fact that grundy is better and gawn could be, he will still be elite.
I reckon billings is a better wingman and as you know I don’t overrate our players. And as much as I like dal I tend to have my own opinions If he was elite surely they would have picked a proper wingman in the AA side or at least squad. My guess is they don’t regard any wingman as elite at the moment. Agree on Marshall on one condition that he rucks otherwise it’s a guess

I can’t have a player being elite after one great year. Needs more. Also I don’t like using positions especially with mids. I don’t reckon one person who follows us would have had hill elite 6 months ago. I didn’t and certainly don’t now. We will have agree to disagree

He's been the third best player at Freo who were a bottom 6 side. He's very good and possibly even excellent but elite is a stretch for him. He looks like he'll be our best player though unless Marshall and a few others step up again and then he might be back around our third best.

It's a strange way to judge players as elite or not elite.

So basically, the half a dozen guys that puck the AA squad determine who is elite and who isn't?

Most of the media experts were surprised by Hill missing the cut and a fair chunk would have had him in the starting 22 from what I was hearing

Plenty of worse players have made an AA squad.
One thing is for sure they would have more of an idea than the experts on here , including myself

I reckon billings is a better wingman and as you know I don’t overrate our players. And as much as I like dal I tend to have my own opinions If he was elite surely they would have picked a proper wingman in the AA side or at least squad. My guess is they don’t regard any wingman as elite at the moment. Agree on Marshall on one condition that he rucks otherwise it’s a guess
🤔

Sorry, Hill is elite and A grade quality. In his prime. Who cares about 1 AA squad.
Why is he elite ? there has to be something to judge a player by , i would have thought being AA was better than being judged as elite by Johnny and Co

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Omh. Over my head. And I agree it can’t be based on one year. That is why I haven’t got Marshall as elite. One more like last year and he is very close. The rest is why to hard for me to comprehend.
Not sure why someone couldn't be judged to have had an Elite season regardless of how many games they have played , its like saying you cant win the Browlow in your first season as we have seen a big enough body of you work

Not sure why someone couldn't be judged to have had an Elite season regardless of how many games they have played , its like saying you cant win the Browlow in your first season as we have seen a big enough body of you work
Elite season to me is completely different to an elite player. Surely if you had an elite season 4 years ago and then 3 average seasons you aren’t an elite player but did have one elite season. Still don’t class Marshall year as quite elite so it’s irrelevant anyway.

Elite season to me is completely different to an elite player. Surely if you had an elite season 4 years ago and then 3 average seasons you aren’t an elite player but did have one elite season. Still don’t class Marshall year as quite elite so it’s irrelevant anyway.
Oh , im not saying Marshall is Elite , anyway , all good

Has any one ever won the Brownlow in their first season? I don't know.

This is the 2020 pre season thread
please take it to the who is elite thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back