Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree. He has all the attributes we need and Ratts wants, fast, hard and clean. will also play backline which was his position at the lower level. Add his versatility to roll through the middle and get amongst it upfront... will play ahead of Lonie, Parker, Kent.

I dunno, he's never got amongst it much upfront. 21 goals in 30 games, only kicked 2 in a game four times, never more. Less than 10 touches a game on average.

If he goes back I see less of a spot for him. We've got plenty of half-backs and back pockets. IMO he'd compete with most of: Roberton, Geary, Marsh, Wilkie, Coffield, Webster, Paton, Clark, Savage, McKenzie, Jones, Hind. Can't imagine he gets a game in front of enough of them.

I'd love him to make it, just feeling sceptical at this point.

No I don’t. If hill came third was the second player elite and even if he was I still don’t get it. Was the fourth player elite or is the cut off third. Ross beat Steven once in the b and f and he is the closest to elite we have had for a few years so that must mean Ross is elite.

No it doesn't. Fyfe and Hill were a lot better than anyone our list. By a fair bit.

If we have a side of swing men it’s going to be a long year. The best sides are very rigid with where guys play. It makes it easier for the players and especially their systems.

I actually think what Ratts might be alluding to is he wants players to put their hands up to play new positions i.e. Long playing off half-back.

We need to re-invent the team and see where guys can play that they may not have played that much before. That doesn't mean he's going to throw guys around into multiple positions during the home and away.

Sorry fellas, I couldn't find a fantasy thread (feel free to direct me there if you have one). Do you guys think that Gresham could average 100+ this year (supercoach)? I want him in that F4 position ideally.

I think we all agreee in here that he'll average at least 115 easily, probably more. Been training the house down, mega midfield minutes......:drunk::eek::think:;)

I actually think what Ratts might be alluding to is he wants players to put their hands up to play new positions i.e. Long playing off half-back.

We need to re-invent the team and see where guys can play that they may not have played that much before. That doesn't mean he's going to throw guys around into multiple positions during the home and away.
That’s fine. Any player who has struggled in one position should be given a chance elsewhere. Makes complete sense. I wanted paddy to be tried at chb before he got injured.

I dunno, he's never got amongst it much upfront. 21 goals in 30 games, only kicked 2 in a game four times, never more. Less than 10 touches a game on average.

If he goes back I see less of a spot for him. We've got plenty of half-backs and back pockets. IMO he'd compete with most of: Roberton, Geary, Marsh, Wilkie, Coffield, Webster, Paton, Clark, Savage, McKenzie, Jones, Hind. Can't imagine he gets a game in front of enough of them.

I'd love him to make it, just feeling sceptical at this point.
Roberton, Wilkie Marsh are KPP/interceptors.
Dmac is s**t.
Geary is old.
Webster is injured.
jones and Hind are training with mid/fwd groups.
coffield and Clark are HBF/mids

so really he only has Savage and Paton to compete with. Paton only plays defence.

The point I was trying to make is his ability to play all three lines makes him more valuable than the others.

Elite cannot be judged on empirical evidence alone. Certainly not on a sample base of one year. Time is a factor and underwriting all of this is the intuitive

notion of an Elite performer. They shouldn't have to be researched or sought... they make themselves felt. If you have to ask the question then they are

not elite. A bit like falling 'in love'. If you have to ask yourself if you are 'in love'....then you haven't fallen... Well just my opinion.
Agree with this post man

tenor (6).gif

He wasn’t alluding to anything. He straight out said it gives him the ability to mix things up with the magnets and get mismatches/cover injuries

Last edited:
Roberton, Wilkie Marsh are KPP/interceptors.
Dmac is s**t.
Geary is old.
Webster is injured.
jones and Hind are training with mid/fwd groups.
coffield and Clark are HBF/mids

so really he only has Savage and Paton to compete with. Paton only plays defence.

The point I was trying to make is his ability to play all three lines makes him more valuable than the others.
He is only more valuable if he is at least the equal to one of them it that position. If he is behind one it won’t matter if he can play elsewhere

If we have a side of swing men it’s going to be a long year. The best sides are very rigid with where guys play. It makes it easier for the players and especially their systems.
Well your just over exaggerating now. It makes it easier to mix things up I’d a momentum change is needed and cover injuries on game day. Not everyone ‘swings’ just for the sake of it Plugger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing wrong with developing players in other positions. Doesnt mean we ever intend on playing Lonie on the wing but it's good test these things out in training just incase we ever need to mix something up in a game scenario.

Well your just over exaggerating now. It makes it easier to mix things up I’d a momentum change is needed and cover injuries on game day. Not everyone ‘swings’ just for the sake of it Plugger
Well I do and I like it but I don’t like it on the footy field. Let them learn their best position and if they have no best position try them somewhere else and let them learn there.

Nothing wrong with developing players in other positions. Doesnt mean we ever intend on playing Lonie on the wing but it's good test these things out in training just incase we ever need to mix something up in a game scenario.
Shouldn’t you learn to play your best position better. I liked Leigh Matthews idea. Don’t kick on your wrong foot. Make your best foot better

Shouldn’t you learn to play your best position better. I liked Leigh Matthews idea. Don’t kick on your wrong foot. Make your best foot better
Enough time in the day to do both.

Maybe doing some training on the wing is helping Lonie develop and better understand some of the things he should be doing as a small forward.

Enough time in the day to do both.

Maybe doing some training on the wing is helping Lonie develop and better understand some of the things he should be doing as a small forward.
That’s fine as long as players have time to settle in games. We don’t want to be picking worse than their replacement because they can swing. That would be crazy stuff

I love sincs's skills and running power but I fear he is a mini rhys stanley with fantastic attributes but utterly hopeless at reading the play.
Everywhere he runs and everything he does is a pre-coached pattern, devoid of any instinct.
(Billings does this to a lessor extent too)

Hope I'm wrong and he can turn it around- because his skills (feet and hands), vision and running power are elite.
He has incredible hands and reflexes in close- never fumbles, which would mean he'd make a great inside mid in theory.

But need him to find the ball 20+ times a game though as a mid playing 85% TOG... not 8.

I wish the coach would tell him to go out there and find the pill as much as he can and that’s all. He’s going to use it well, no worries about that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back