Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Elite is a word we throw around a lot. To me it means in the top 1% of players. So yeah, we don't have any. But it's more to do with how freakish the best players in the game are. A-Grade is a better term for me as it depends on the player themselves and what they can do, rather then how they stack against the superstars.

We have a couple who could reach A-grade. But Elite isn't something I'd hold my breath on unless you would honestly consider them as good Fyfe, Dusty, or Gazz and Buddy in their primes.

As far as statistically elite is concerned. Stats are an incredible metric to use, but aren't everything. Sincs was an Elite winger one year, Daw is an elite defender.

Stats track development and consistency, but don't always convey influence.

Not to go back too far in time but, Snake as a forward? I know he prefers back, but we have options for defence and are a little starved for tall forward targets. He's a 200cm Tank, and can pull in a great grab.

I'd be very tempted to keep him forward.

Elite is a word we throw around a lot. To me it means in the top 1% of players. So yeah, we don't have any. But it's more to do with how freakish the best players in the game are. A-Grade is a better term for me as it depends on the player themselves and what they can do, rather then how they stack against the superstars.

We have a couple who could reach A-grade. But Elite isn't something I'd hold my breath on unless you would honestly consider them as good Fyfe, Dusty, or Gazz and Buddy in their primes.

As far as statistically elite is concerned. Stats are an incredible metric to use, but aren't everything. Sincs was an Elite winger one year, Daw is an elite defender.

Stats track development and consistency, but don't always convey influence.
Sincs was only Elite by Champ data or one of those Bullsh1t agency's , he was never rated elite by anyone who knows anything about the game IMO

Not to go back too far in time but, Snake as a forward? I know he prefers back, but we have options for defence and are a little starved for tall forward targets. He's a 200cm Tank, and can pull in a great grab.

I'd be very tempted to keep him forward.
Id be very tempted to not have him any where near the forward line , Ryder-Marshall, King, Membrey and maybe Battle , how many talls do you want forward ?
Plus the bloke has played one decent game as a forward and that was about 6 years ago

Sincs was only Elite by Champ data or one of those Bullsh1t agency's , he was never rated elite by anyone who knows anything about the game IMO

He was rated as a wing man and they only rated a few AFL players as wings. He wasn't even a wingman and they had guys like Gaff as mids. It was such a dumb rating system they used and was reliant on how each player was classified.

Id be very tempted to not have him any where near the forward line , Ryder-Marshall, King, Membrey and maybe Battle , how many talls do you want forward ?
Plus the bloke has played one decent game as a forward and that was about 6 years ago

Ryder/Marshall rotating. Membrey is medium and better floating than taking on the monster defender, battle also closer to mid size for a forward and is better as a defender for me. King most likely won't play every game, and would get easily outmuscled by the fullback.

As for backline, snake, brown, doug, marsh, Logan, Robbo. How many do you want?

He's able to not just play forward, but be effective there. And without a spearhead our attack options are limited.

For those who went to the open training session, what did you make of it?

I thought Marshall marking was sensational, and when he was playing on Abbott, he had him beat quite easily.

Hills skills were a class above.

Coffield looked in good knick, and found quite a bit of it.

The boys did some sortve match stimulation I guess, and then followed into some kicking and handball drills.

I didn’t see King, Hanners, Jones or Ryder on the track! So they might’ve been in the gym
I thought it was a little lacklustre, also battle & Gresham were others that I think were missing. Matty Parker , Geary and Webster just running laps. Seb had a bit of a kick at goals but that was all. Heard Matty Parker ask one of the supporters why there were so many people there, seems he didn’t know it was an open training session. Top guy however spent a fair bit of time with some of the kids there.

He was rated as a wing man and they only rated a few AFL players as wings. He wasn't even a wingman and they had guys like Gaff as mids. It was such a dumb rating system they used and was reliant on how each player was classified.

He made some good meters gained stats that year.

Ryder/Marshall rotating. Membrey is medium and better floating than taking on the monster defender, battle also closer to mid size for a forward and is better as a defender for me. King most likely won't play every game, and would get easily outmuscled by the fullback.

He's able to not just play forward, but be effective there. And without a spearhead our attack options are limited.
Membrey isnt a big forward but this is the bloke who outmarked Gawn and Preuss at once so he plays a lot taller that he looks , yes i do understand both Ryder and Marshall wont be both forward at the same time as i indicated and Battle is 193 cm , id call that tall not a mid size forward so you still have Three talls with King maybe playing 8-12 games , who knows the kid may surprise and play most of the season , so yeah we are right for forwards i think.

Id say only Jake and Dougie are locked in as key backs , Brown dog will only be used if we get injuries IMO , Marsh , i dont think he is up to it , Logan can hardly get on the park and Robbo must still have question marks on him over his heat issues , So even though i have no idea why you raised the backline since you were talking about the forward line id say 2 Key back at this stage , with the others as back up

For those who went to the open training session, what did you make of it?

I thought Marshall marking was sensational, and when he was playing on Abbott, he had him beat quite easily.

Hills skills were a class above.

Coffield looked in good knick, and found quite a bit of it.

The boys did some sortve match stimulation I guess, and then followed into some kicking and handball drills.

I didn’t see King, Hanners, Jones or Ryder on the track! So they might’ve been in the gym
Thats what i wanted to hear , i think this kid can be special when it all clicks for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went along to training. Wasn't that great a session as a lot of guys werent out there. Pretry hot conditions, seemed to be a bit more of a leisurely session today.

Really liked the look of Howard today. Think he'll be an excellent pick up.

Hill buzzing around, lots of energy and great skills on display. Hunter Clark classy.

I think Jack Lonie will surprise a few. He looks really sharp. Hopefully he can have a full season because he could be a 30-40 goal player in my opinion. Also liked the look of Butler today.

Coffield went about his work nicely today.

Matt Parker wasn't participating in full training but was out there for goal kicking, so he doesn't seem to have a serious injury. Jimmy Webster running laps still.

One interesting drill was two players going head to head, ball was randomly tossed somewhere and first to it had to grab it and goal straight away. Most seemed to be finishing off and would celebrate afterwards. Set shot goal kicking still a fair few sprayed, Lonie and Butler the exceptions.

Marshall looks really confident. Could be on the verge of, dare I say it, elite.

I went along to training. Wasn't that great a session as a lot of guys werent out there. Pretry hot conditions, seemed to be a bit more of a leisurely session today.

Really liked the look of Howard today. Think he'll be an excellent pick up.

Hill buzzing around, lots of energy and great skills on display. Hunter Clark classy.

I think Jack Lonie will surprise a few. He looks really sharp. Hopefully he can have a full season because he could be a 30-40 goal player in my opinion. Also liked the look of Butler today.

Coffield went about his work nicely today.

Matt Parker wasn't participating in full training but was out there for goal kicking, so he doesn't seem to have a serious injury. Jimmy Webster running laps still.

One interesting drill was two players going head to head, ball was randomly tossed somewhere and first to it had to grab it and goal straight away. Most seemed to be finishing off and would celebrate afterwards. Set shot goal kicking still a fair few sprayed, Lonie and Butler the exceptions.

Marshall looks really confident. Could be on the verge of, dare I say it, elite.

I agree with you regarding lonie- he has shown (pre injury) that his best is good enough to be considered in the very best small fwds in the league.
If he can find his best form regularly I'd have him starting ahead of both gresh and butler.
(Gresh half fwd/mid, butler sandy)

Membrey isnt a big forward but this is the bloke who outmarked Gawn and Preuss at once so he plays a lot taller that he looks , yes i do understand both Ryder and Marshall wont be both forward at the same time as i indicated and Battle is 193 cm , id call that tall not a mid size forward so you still have Three talls with King maybe playing 8-12 games , who knows the kid may surprise and play most of the season , so yeah we are right for forwards i think.

Id say only Jake and Dougie are locked in as key backs , Brown dog will only be used if we get injuries IMO , Marsh , i dont think he is up to it , Logan can hardly get on the park and Robbo must still have question marks on him over his heat issues , So even though i have no idea why you raised the backline since you were talking about the forward line id say 2 Key back at this stage , with the others as back up

Sorry, had to clear things up. Battle 193 but plays like a medium and is better as a back. Skunk is a great mark but doesn’t play on the best defender. Game and Pruess got caught out for both playing loose and thinking it would fall into their hands. The fullback wouldn’t make that mistake. Skunk makes them pay, but has never been the focal point, he’s beat when working in tandem.

Marshall/Ryder, rotating memes neither suit structure as a stay at home forward, and will probably be rotating with bench time as well.

King Could surprise, but we shouldn’t be counting on it. And will most likely be on limited minutes at first as well.

Back structure with 2 talls would mean one of our best players sits out. Carlisle is able to be an effective tall forward, even if sticking with a Bruce roll of getting the ball to ground when need be. And means we keep more quality on the field.

Not saying I’m right and it has to happen. Just that’s it’s worth serious consideration.

Dontt be surprised if Joyce does'nt force his way into calculations for the backline.
Id be willing to bet he more chance of making it as a forward not a backman , even thats still only a slim chance

Sorry, had to clear things up. Battle 193 but plays like a medium and is better as a back. Skunk is a great mark but doesn’t play on the best defender. Game and Pruess got caught out for both playing loose and thinking it would fall into their hands. The fullback wouldn’t make that mistake. Skunk makes them pay, but has never been the focal point, he’s beat when working in tandem.

Marshall/Ryder, rotating memes neither suit structure as a stay at home forward, and will probably be rotating with bench time as well.

King Could surprise, but we shouldn’t be counting on it. And will most likely be on limited minutes at first as well.

Back structure with 2 talls would mean one of our best players sits out. Carlisle is able to be an effective tall forward, even if sticking with a Bruce roll of getting the ball to ground when need be. And means we keep more quality on the field.

Not saying I’m right and it has to happen. Just that’s it’s worth serious consideration.
Jake hasnt shown he can play forward since 2014 , Battle looked pretty damn good to me as forward in his first year before he got injured and even last year played on some big guys in the backline so i dont consider him a medium .
You have lost me with who is going to miss out ? Which backman misses out that upsets you

They seemed to train to the conditions today which weren't great; muggy and very windy. Some random observations:
Paton - thought he looked clean with his disposal worked hard
Coffied - pretty impressive size now, very clean below his knees - the season is his
Marshall - did some good work overhead, got some bulk on those arms
Howard and Logan - super hard to tell them apart. Howard definitely looks proper
Bytel - hard to point out without his locks, getting towards man size
Roberton - running around freely
Abbott - quite lean, looks in good cond.
Hunter - really good size now, I just instantly thought he's surely going to play alot of mid this year

Didn't really take in too much in terms of drills because of the kids but there was a bit of goal practice - Roughy showing the guys how to slot it from the corner (Marshall in amongst this lot) and kicking down the wing to a marking target, and seemed to be a bit of stoppage practice in front of the western goal (getting a coffee at that point).
Not a bad turn out, and the players were friendly as signing stuff. Thought Butler was a really nice bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back