Not open for further replies.

My Left Foote

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United Melbourne Victory
I went to training this morning, before the drills began the all the players stood in a circle, I couldn't tell who was talking however there was a noticeable energy amongst the group at the start and throughout training, very vocal and high spirits.

First up the players were separated into about 4 or 5 groups loosely consisting of forwards, mids etc. I stood on the flank (near the scoreboard) where a player would kick down the line (to the other flank) to another player. A fairly simple exercise with emphasis on kicking within a designated small area of cones. Granted there wasn't any pressure however it was good to see players hitting targets and clunking marks, stand outs were: Tarryn, Paul Ahern, Mason, Goldy, Bailey Scott, Matt McGuinness, Luke McDonald (see previous point about no pressure) and Will Walker who, as the groups rotated through, stayed in the same spot. Interesting that the players kept telling Curtis Taylor to put the ball up, in fairness he was kicking it very flat.

Other drills were a bit hard to see from where I was standing but there was some contested ball work coaches holdings pads and some ruck work / clearance drills.

A match simulation type exercise focussed on transition from defence to attack essentially down the wing. There was a lot of good / quick ball movement, run and carry / overlap and looking for the loose man. Players who impressed were Nick Larkey ran hard (up and back) and presented well, got away from Mason a couple of times. Aiden Bonar was good, fumbled once or twice, but looks good as a mid, ran hard. LDU is looking very good as is Jy Simpkin. Higgo (of course), Lachie Hosie looked very comfortable I can see him pressing for a Round 1 debut.

Some players not taking part in the match simulation type exercise for whatever reason (modified program, niggles etc.) Majak, Jack, Polec, Dom Tyson, Will Walker.

Rhyce wasn't really involved in any of the drills, essentially leaving it to Jade Rawlings and the line coaches. He got involved at the end where he had set up some cones in the Forward 50. He put forwards & defenders on certain spots and spoke to the group as a whole. I couldn't quite hear what he was saying but it appeared it was showing them a very specific set up of where the holes would open up / where the forwards could lead to under a specific circumstance and, perhaps more importantly, what the players should look for when delivering the ball into the Forward 50.

Some other notes:
Ben Jacobs: Was good to see him out there running laps.
Trent Dumont: Had his thigh strapped and was running laps, apparently he copped a corkie in the match sim on Friday, looked to be moving okay.
Kyron Hayden: Was doing some straight line running at a good pace, as well was some kick to kick where he marked the ball and had to turn in a tight circle before kicking it back, he looks like he's not too far off.
Cam Zurhaar: Didn't do any of the drills from what I could tell, I was told he has a nerve problem in his back and is going in for a quick in & out operation this week. Apparently it's a fairly straight forward operation and he shouldn't miss much training (1 - 2 weeks). This is second hand information from another supporter so make of it what you will.

That's all I've got.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Players who impressed were Nick Larkey ran hard (up and back) and presented well, got away from Mason a couple of times.

That shouldn't happen, although Mason wouldn't be matched up on a Larkey type in a match either.

That shouldn't happen, although Mason wouldn't be matched up on a Larkey type in a match either.
Larkey's running patterns and footy smarts are far superior to Mason's in fairness to Mason.

Larkey has outsmarted many a defender.

Larkey's running patterns and footy smarts are far superior to Mason's in fairness to Mason.

Larkey has outsmarted many a defender.

Good point. Larkey's years in the twos have stood him in good stead in this regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The old 'sell the dummy'. #JoinInTheChorus

1580109530306.png

Oh come on from memory this is the first time I've used this pic!!

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I went to training this morning, before the drills began the all the players stood in a circle, I couldn't tell who was talking however there was a noticeable energy amongst the group at the start and throughout training, very vocal and high spirits.

First up the players were separated into about 4 or 5 groups loosely consisting of forwards, mids etc. I stood on the flank (near the scoreboard) where a player would kick down the line (to the other flank) to another player. A fairly simple exercise with emphasis on kicking within a designated small area of cones. Granted there wasn't any pressure however it was good to see players hitting targets and clunking marks, stand outs were: Tarryn, Paul Ahern, Mason, Goldy, Bailey Scott, Matt McGuinness, Luke McDonald (see previous point about no pressure) and Will Walker who, as the groups rotated through, stayed in the same spot. Interesting that the players kept telling Curtis Taylor to put the ball up, in fairness he was kicking it very flat.

Other drills were a bit hard to see from where I was standing but there was some contested ball work coaches holdings pads and some ruck work / clearance drills.

A match simulation type exercise focussed on transition from defence to attack essentially down the wing. There was a lot of good / quick ball movement, run and carry / overlap and looking for the loose man. Players who impressed were Nick Larkey ran hard (up and back) and presented well, got away from Mason a couple of times. Aiden Bonar was good, fumbled once or twice, but looks good as a mid, ran hard. LDU is looking very good as is Jy Simpkin. Higgo (of course), Lachie Hosie looked very comfortable I can see him pressing for a Round 1 debut.

Some players not taking part in the match simulation type exercise for whatever reason (modified program, niggles etc.) Majak, Jack, Polec, Dom Tyson, Will Walker.

Rhyce wasn't really involved in any of the drills, essentially leaving it to Jade Rawlings and the line coaches. He got involved at the end where he had set up some cones in the Forward 50. He put forwards & defenders on certain spots and spoke to the group as a whole. I couldn't quite hear what he was saying but it appeared it was showing them a very specific set up of where the holes would open up / where the forwards could lead to under a specific circumstance and, perhaps more importantly, what the players should look for when delivering the ball into the Forward 50.

Some other notes:
Ben Jacobs: Was good to see him out there running laps.
Trent Dumont: Had his thigh strapped and was running laps, apparently he copped a corkie in the match sim on Friday, looked to be moving okay.
Kyron Hayden: Was doing some straight line running at a good pace, as well was some kick to kick where he marked the ball and had to turn in a tight circle before kicking it back, he looks like he's not too far off.
Cam Zurhaar: Didn't do any of the drills from what I could tell, I was told he has a nerve problem in his back and is going in for a quick in & out operation this week. Apparently it's a fairly straight forward operation and he shouldn't miss much training (1 - 2 weeks). This is second hand information from another supporter so make of it what you will.

That's all I've got.
Back problem for CZ hope it's as minor as said🤔
Good news about BJ and Kyron.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
The fluidity of movement of Thomas and Higgins really stood out in some of the drills. No stopping, propping or fumbling. Clean hands, constant movement and precise skills.

The session as a whole was intense and done at pace. The boys looked in good nick to a man.

To reiterate on Kyron, he did look good. Moving nicely and was doing springing off his Achilles. Good to see EVW going through his paces with no strapping.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Nerve problem is his back. Gee, that is concerning. Hope it's not the usual "2 weeks" bullshit. The bloke is our barometer. Need him hitting round 1 in top shape.

We'd been lucky to avoid pre-season injuries till now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back