First footy jumper's number and player

Remove this Banner Ad

Number 8 - Rick Kennedy

Loved his style of play. For years no 8 went to tough backman - Bernard Toohey and Matty Dent wore it as well, then the human bulldozer Mitch Hahn did it proud.

Brick Trengove wearing it now makes me happy.
Wonder who or next tough backman will be. West, Smith and Weightman show a bit but a hard but down back would be nice. Maybe Williams if he can crack a game.

If memory serves me I started with the Ray Huppatz (#7), possibly after a flirtation with the great Gary Dempsey’s 24, then seamlessly from Ray to Dougie and then went contrarian in the 80s with Stan “The Man” Davidson (#9) and then Shorty Daniels (#11)...thankfully Shorty was followed up by Tony McGuiness - once he left I gave up numbers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
What type of a player was huppatz?

#51 Magic McLean

As a little kid I loved watching him play. He was so classy.
Played in the first ever Brisbane lions game. Didn't realise we delisted him and was picked up by the bears in the pre season draft. Loved watching him. Smooth. He was at my first ever family day clinic. Still remember some kicking and handballing drills with him, Alistair Ford and Andrew Purser.

I’d say around 1973 or 1974. My granddad bought jumpers for me and my Footscray following cousins (my non-Footscray following cousins didn’t get anything). Very glad I still have it.
M
Nearly 50 years. That's gold.

My non Footscray following nephew gets nothing from me compared to his bulldog loving brothers.

OK. No laughing. I knew I had this pic somewhere on my laptop...

Both my nephew (he's also my godson) and I had #31(Kelvin Templeton) on the back of our jumpers. He was 14 months old when I first saw him in Dec 1981 during my Christmas trip to the states. His #31 was sewn on by the school secretary(Memory eternal) at the front office where I taught. She was a one-eyed Saints supporter but I somehow talked her into doing it for me. This pic came out at his 21st birthday party for all to see. He still has the jumper. He will be 40 in October. :eek:

I look about 14 in that pic. I was 29. *sigh* Good times.

Number 8 - Rick Kennedy

Loved his style of play. For years no 8 went to tough backman - Bernard Toohey and Matty Dent wore it as well, then the human bulldozer Mitch Hahn did it proud.

Brick Trengove wearing it now makes me happy.

Dent wore 21, not 8. Southern then Hahn wore 8 while Chicken was at the club, both super tough as you said.

Number 2 - Merv Hobbs. It was one of those cheap numbers - black number on white background. Like the Hawks used to have. Mum had to do the honours with the needle and thread.

i have never had a number on my jumpers
I once had #4 on my jumper. It was a birthday gift from my Year 7 class in 1985. It had short sleeves. LOL (The Class Captain was a Richmond supporter.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My first jumper didn't have any number on it but it was an ICI Long Sleever! The first (and to this day only) Bulldogs jumper I've had a number on it was a number 1, judging by the era of the jumper (it was a stick on rather than sewn on VFL logo) that would likely represent Andrew Purser.

I didn't follow footy as a kid at all (though I managed to win the class footy tipping contest in grade 4 through sheer guesswork). Only started last year. So if I was to pick a number it'd be that of someone who debuted in the year I started following footy, probably Bailey Smith's 6.

I didn't follow footy as a kid at all (though I managed to win the class footy tipping contest in grade 4 through sheer guesswork). Only started last year. So if I was to pick a number it'd be that of someone who debuted in the year I started following footy, probably Bailey Smith's 6.
You might be in for a long haul with that number. If I was to choose one now, he'd be hard to go past.

number 33....... Choco Royal!
Still remember choco's last few years as a forward crumbing for Stuart wigney. The permed mullet combo. We must have been desperate. Choco was ok but wigney very hard to watch. Possibly just before we recruited Osborne (?).

Great vid featuring Edmund and many of the other names in this thread.... Purser taking grabs, Royal, Kennedy with a sneaky knee...

Magic moment :p Good of Edmond to give Allen a bit of friendly advice there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back