Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a Pre-Season training thread.

Let's keep it on topic thanks!

Best 22 belongs here ...

List Management belongs here ...

Thanks Aph!

And FFS, could one of you (you know who you are) start a "What constitutes a small forward label and does Carlton need more of them?" thread....or something like that? I'm getting a little jaded with the to & fro.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Hun reporting Charlie not playing until the 2nd half of the season. Gees it would be nice to get a bit of a break when it comes to injuries.
It came from Lloyd I think on RSN yesterday morning. No one else has come out and stated second half of season. When we stated he would miss the start of the season I assumed it wouldn’t be round 2. He is waited as saying middle of the season is likely. Things can obviously change. Not sure where SEN and Herald sun got second half of the year. They turn every quote into a worst case and headline it. I’d expect him to be running around during the preseason games and not work up to match fitness till mid season.

Betts and Gartlett went alright...

They did. But we were awfulTh
Or we just remain with the facts, average goals per game from last year.

How many traditional small forwards can you see in the top 50

While I actually agree with your basic premise, it’s disingenuous to use goals as the only metric. Small forwards bring a lot more to the side than just that.

FWIW, my view is that the relevance of the role is largely dictated by the talent available. If you have a good small forward, then you can play and structure in a way that maximises their strengths. However, if you don’t have a good one, you definitely don’t need one and it’s crazy to desperately go trying to find one because they just aren’t a necessity .

It came from Lloyd I think on RSN yesterday morning. No one else has come out and stated second half of season. When we stated he would miss the start of the season I assumed it wouldn’t be round 2. He is waited as saying middle of the season is likely. Things can obviously change. Not sure where SEN and Herald sun got second half of the year. They turn every quote into a worst case and headline it. I’d expect him to be running around during the preseason games and not work up to match fitness till mid season.

Round 6-8 return is what I heard from a good source about a fortnight ago. Will play mostly deep forward initially.

The Hun reporting Charlie not playing until the 2nd half of the season. Gees it would be nice to get a bit of a break when it comes to injuries.

I said when they first announced he was getting operated on that they shouldnt rush him. Give him as long as he needs to recover, get a big block of training into him. Bring him back too soon and fair chance he does more damage or is so underdone he plays like the first few rounds last year. If need be, give him the whole season off. You have to invest into the next 10 years, not just 2020.

I said when they first announced he was getting operated on that they shouldnt rush him. Give him as long as he needs to recover, get a big block of training into him. Bring him back too soon and fair chance he does more damage or is so underdone he plays like the first few rounds last year. If need be, give him the whole season off. You have to invest into the next 10 years, not just 2020.
Slow news day.. June return at this stage will not be rushed back.

Sammy Doc, Mic'd Up - absolutely ******* outstanding.

So easy to forget what a leader this bloke is on-field after a few years off the park. His awareness, vision, game sense and direction are top shelf. Teammate takes a mark, and Doc knows where the ball needs to go next and how, and is directing his teammate before they've even looked upfield.

Watch Jones go to another level with this bloke spotting for him.

I honestly think Doc is the difference between a bottom 6 finish and playing finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe one day...one day....some of us may stop talking about Docherty as a midfield need. :)

Happy having Docherty direct the back-line, Cripps the midfield and...and...someone in the forward line.

Could see it being JSOS up forward - the trick will be cementing a spot on raw output as well as on-field organisation.

Hopefully we have the luxury now of being able to leave him down back, with the occasional mid rotation.

Cripps, Walsh, Setters, SPS, Fisher, Dow, Stocker, Newnes, Martin, Cuningham, Silvagni, Gibbons, O'Brien, Kemp, Philp, Ramsay

Reckon we bat deep enough through there now, and will continue to add to it.

Not to say Doc will/should never play in the guts. Just that I don't think a wholesale positional change is necessary or beneficial. Think he adds the most offensive value from behind the play, and the most defensive value on the last line.

While I actually agree with your basic premise, it’s disingenuous to use goals as the only metric. Small forwards bring a lot more to the side than just that.
Wanted to say something along the same lines myself, the goals they kick are only a part of the package they produce should not be the only thing to be measured on, not only do they kick goals but they create so much more all from a wide range of instinctive skills they possess as well as the forward 50 pressure acts with the chasing tackling...

Could see it being JSOS up forward - the trick will be cementing a spot on raw output as well as on-field organisation.

Good point and that could well become the case.

I feel with JSilvagni that we'll keep denying him until we just can't deny him any more and that may still be a year or two away. :)

Hopefully we have the luxury now of being able to leave him down back, with the occasional mid rotation.

Cripps, Walsh, Setters, SPS, Fisher, Dow, Stocker, Newnes, Martin, Cuningham, Silvagni, Gibbons, O'Brien, Kemp, Philp, Ramsay

Reckon we bat deep enough through there now, and will continue to add to it.

Not to say Doc will/should never play in the guts. Just that I don't think a wholesale positional change is necessary or beneficial. Think he adds the most offensive value from behind the play, and the most defensive value on the last line.

It will be the case and we hear this all the time - This player has midfield capabilities and that player does, but in the end the mids that were mids end up being the ones used in the midfield....and CCurnow going into the centre 4 times in one year doesn't make him a midfielder. We have to get over that notion.

Maybe one day...one day....some of us may stop talking about Docherty as a midfield need. :)

Happy having Docherty direct the back-line, Cripps the midfield and...and...someone in the forward line.
When he can average 28 possessions playing of half back what do we gain pushing him into the middle?

Having him next to Weitering this year will enable Weitering to really blossom. Every CHB needs a HBF who they know will help them out when they get caught out of position and will be there to release to when they win the contested ball.

Hey folks,

Decided I would post when I have news or something I find interesting.

I just wanted to post something on McGovern given that he is likely to be very crucial to our start. As we all know his physique has improved remarkably, what I was surprised to learn was this wasn't club directed and they aren't aware that any other players sat him down (although this may have happened). It appears the penny has dropped and is now fully committed and the improvement has been by and large self directed.

This can only be a positive for him and the club going forward.

Cheers.

I want every, single, forward to apply pressure, no matter the size and height
Bang on and that’s where our forward line really improved in the second half of the year, to have talls like ours with great pace is a huge bonus in the pressure game.

When he can average 28 possessions playing of half back what do we gain pushing him into the middle?

Having him next to Weitering this year will enable Weitering to really blossom. Every CHB needs a HBF who they know will help them out when they get caught out of position and will be there to release to when they win the contested ball.
And we have the best one to ever grace a football field, go Doc. 👍🏽

I guess we've got all of Doc, SPS, Newman & Simmo (& perhaps Willo & Stocker later in the season) who could all rotate up onto the wings/pinch in the midfield. I can see Doc spending most of his time down back but still getting the occasional run through the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back