AFLW Round 1 Discussion - 2020 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah look, I'm cracking here cause I hate losing to Carlton in any guise.

But I really do think the AFL are imbecilic at times. Imagine the press they could have made out of a pack-to-the-rafters Punt rd Oval. Probably would have got the biggest crowd at PRO since the '60s. Massive PR opportunity, and would have had a chance for a near-even contest.

Instead, they have a lack-lustre belting on Friday night TV with half-empty stands.

Bizarre.

what a joke they get to sing that @#$% song.
Something called ohs.. can only accom about 6 k.

Carlton being so inaccurate in the first half kinda made it tougher on Richmond who have to get their act together on those kick-ins and just general transitional play. The Blues are basically what we thought they were, although it's worth pointing out their 228 disposals tonight was a club record (previous best 221 in rounds 4 to 6 of last year; they averaged 158 in the 5 Davey-less games of 2018).

Upside for the Tigers is: they didn't give up (won the 4th quarter); round 1 form is always hit and miss but even more so in AFLW (I don't believe they'll play that bad again); and their fixture is peppered with 50-50 (or better) games, starting next week against the Suns (who are wooden spoon favourites and will be coming off a hard slog in the wet) then Geelong in R4, St Kilda R6 and at 'home' against Brisbane in R7.

seriously though, how good would this have been played where it should have been played, they would have been climbing the trees around Punt Rd, the JD stand would have been absolutely rocking.

Instead they are playing in a cavernous half-empty stadium, that their rival plays at every week, in the first AFL game they have ever played.

More Gil genius, another opportunity missed.

It was better that the game was moved to Ikon Park, so it could be shown how big AFLW can be by drawing a crowd of 15,337 (official crowd).

15,000 in a ground that holds 22,000 still looks pretty impressive visually and in terms of a sense of atmosphere.

It is way better than locking two-thirds of spectators out by playing at Punt Road Oval which only holds 5,000.

great to see the blues win over those arrogant tigers to me the Richmond football club have been full of themselves since last years gf

Oops didn’t see this discussion thread!

Was impressed with the accuracy of the field kicks tonight, goals not so much.

Some good hard contests, Prespakis an absolute gun. McEvoy will be dominant in 2-3 seasons.

Exciting times ahead for Women’s footy!

More enjoyable aspect of the night for me?
Watching with my eldest daughter who actually put her phone down and discussed situations in play as to what she would would have done. 2 yes ago she wouldn’t have had a clue. Means the world to me 😊

Thats a reality check for 11 debutante’s.
Getting Grace Campbell back next week will help in the middle and hopefully get Brennan to where she can be a link up player. Some positives in Wakefield and was great to see Bernardi bieng able to play again.
It’s not the reason for the loss but to move the home games to a ground thats 20 mtr wider than what they train on is another adjustment they have to make in the game, you could see Carlton just knew where to spread to get an advantage and Richmond kept trying to play through the square or stay tight to it.
Someone as large as Fredricks isn’t going to be quick and she made a few mistakes but for a 23 yr old I can see she like all of em will get better and she will split packs.
Blues too good.

How bad wS katie “ all about me” brennan? Caught all night, having set shots from 45 after turning her back on her teammates.
Sabrina looked slow and lacked effort.
brennan was almost on moana hope levels of marquee dudness. i never watched her at the dogs but there was a lot of hype so i was expecting at least an average performance.

Enjoyed the game, the women play a very physical brand of football. Impressed with the Blues speed and spread, should have won by 10 goals though.
The kicking for goal is still poor 4th season in.

Considering the forecast for Sydney today, this might be handy info:
AFLW matches played in heavy rain at Blacktown
2017, Round 5: GWS Giants 3.2.20 defeated Melbourne 1.9.15
2018, Round 4: GWS Giants 2.7.19 drew with Adelaide 2.7.19

What also might be handy info is a more recent Giants match in awful conditions--a VFLW invitational against Melbourne Uni last June. Fielding a team at two-thirds full strength, they beat the hosts (who had no current and just one future contracted NM player) by 98 points.

So I'll halve the difference and stick with my original tip of GWS by about 50 today, I guess.

Watched the game last night and it was great to see the skills have improved yet again. The skill improvement helped to open up the game.
Carlton looked pretty good, moved the ball well.
I quite like that the clock doesn’t stop all the time and I hope this is introduced to the men’s comp.

It was probably the best game Carlton have ever played in terms of ball movement and transitioning from defence to forward line.

Really just entry into the forward line that let us down. Even that though was better than last season overall.

The tiges were a bit disappointing, especially some of their big signings, but credit to Carlton for a good performance. They were better at getting the footy out in the open and hitting targets - this is the key to womens footy, because they all good at putting pressure on ball carriers, and if you're playing your first game at this level, you're going to get a shock from how much little time you have with the footy (remembering there are four new teams).
Players who can grab the footy in congestion, take a bit of heat and extricate themselves to get a clearance are gold.
Interesting thoughts, guys.

Can anyone that has Kayo check if they can see replay of the game yet at
Sorry, I don't use Kayo but if you don't have any luck there, know that games are uploaded to womens.afl and you might be able to cast those to your TV (at least it's worked for women's matches in the past).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton were fantastic yesterday. They were strong and some of their ball movement and overlapping looked almost as good as the men’s league.

Our girls were a little disappointing in the midfield, but I am still OK with how our forward line performed. Highlight was our defence. They really stood up with the volume of inside 50s Carlton had even though they were fairly inexperienced.

brennan was almost on moana hope levels of marquee dudness. i never watched her at the dogs but there was a lot of hype so i was expecting at least an average performance.
I have seen much better from her at Bulldogs so I think she needs some time. She is being played in a role she’s not used to playing at AFL level (she was a forward at Bulldogs and is playing in the midfield with us) so we need to let her adjust. Either that or she needs to be played as a forward.

Its gonna be tough for the new teams this season. Not expecting much from the Eagles womens and seeing as we're second favourite for the spoon I'm guessing the punters aren't either.
St Kilda might do OK. I don’t know about the other three expansion sides though.

You’d think that GWS wins this game comfortably against Gold Coast. They’re building a really good side IMO

I have seen much better from her at Bulldogs so I think she needs some time. She is being played in a role she’s not used to playing at AFL level (she was a forward at Bulldogs and is playing in the midfield with us) so we need to let her adjust. Either that or she needs to be played as a forward.

Whilst primarily a forward at the Dogs, she regularly had runs through the midfield. She is highly skilled, but doesn’t have the impact on games she should have.

Whilst primarily a forward at the Dogs, she regularly had runs through the midfield. She is highly skilled, but doesn’t have the impact on games she should have.
Oh so midfield was a thing at Bulldogs? I always saw her play forward.

Is a game like yesterday a typical game or is it more on the lower end? I have seen her do much better than yesterday.

disgusting that this game was moved from punt rd to the home of our opponents.

add it to the pile this off-season, Brando Ellis compo pick scandal...AFL just won't stop pushing us down

LOL-

What are your thoughts on the AFL grand final being played at MCG regardless of who the higher ranked team is?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back