Teams 2020 Rate My Pre-Season Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can understand some of the picks even though I don't think they'll work out.
The Daw and Kennedy picks though are just autopick, rank 50,000+ level bullshit picks. There is zero chance Daw averages 95+ and he will never make enough cash for him to be considered a 'cash-cow'
Between them + your bank you could go

Daw + JJK + 100k + Flanders (think he's only an outside chance to make Rd 1 team) = ~1 million = Hill + Roberton + Cogs/Telly or other 550k mid.

Better points, better cash generation potential.
Just leaves you without a bank.

Daw averaged 85 as a defender in 2018.

Whilst he is coming back from injury.... but a 10 point jump in average isn't out of the realms of possibility considering his contested mark and intercept numbers.

Unlikely, but not as impossible as you've made out...

Plenty.

- B.Smith & Lyons are virtually at their max value, and there are better options at similar prices.
- From all reports Bonar is still quite a ways from playing solid midfield minutes.
- $600k for Goldstein, he's 32 this year, no way he keeps up that level of output.
- Newman over Docherty, now I know you're smoking crack.

What reports are those? The pre-trade period ones?

He's played head to head against Higgins/Cunnington in a pure center square role for the majority of 3 intra clubs I've seen so far.

He's definately in the Rnd 1 frame, he will play all the pre-season NAB Cup games in a center square role, not a half forward role like GWS was trying to develop him in.

His form in those matches will determine if he's in Rnd 1, he's well ahead of what we thought were getting with the cost we got him at....

Daw averaged 85 as a defender in 2018.

Whilst he is coming back from injury.... but a 10 point jump in average isn't out of the realms of possibility considering his contested mark and intercept numbers.

Unlikely, but not as impossible as you've made out...

Over about 10 games? Doedee averaged basically the same numbers over a whole season. And it didn't take him until the 10th year of his career to do so. And he's coming back from a less serious injury (Majak is extremely lucky to be alive, let alone walking, let alone playing AFL football). And he's 40k cheaper.

Roberton averaged 92 the last time he was fit. Again, over a full season. And it wasn't the first time he'd averaged 90+. And he's 70k cheaper.

I just don't see how you can look at the three of them objectively and conclude that Daw is a better pick than Doedee or Roberton.

Over about 10 games? Doedee averaged basically the same numbers over a whole season. And it didn't take him until the 10th year of his career to do so. And he's coming back from a less serious injury (Majak is extremely lucky to be alive, let alone walking, let alone playing AFL football). And he's 40k cheaper.

Roberton averaged 92 the last time he was fit. Again, over a full season. And it wasn't the first time he'd averaged 90+. And he's 70k cheaper.

I just don't see how you can look at the three of them objectively and conclude that Daw is a better pick than Doedee or Roberton.

I have to agree.

And sincerely hope that Maj proves us wrong.

I have to agree.

And sincerely hope that Maj proves us wrong.

If Majak gets back to playing AFL football at all it's already a great story. I hope he does well too. But I definitely won't be picking him in my SC side.

Majak's sample size was around 15 games. His previous 10 seasons are fairly irrelevant considering he played the majority of them as a key forward and at times a second ruck.

I objectively agree with you, on paper the others make more sense, he's also not in my side.

However the jump isn't impossible (which was my point) and these things certainly aren't linear with previous seasons as you are making out they are.

These kinds of jumps in performance look great in hindsight and were easy picks by everyone at the end of a year, but like we are discussing are very hard to predict at this stage of the year.

My only point is, I wouldn't be shocked to see him do it, Champion Data ranked him 4th behind Rance, McGovern and Andrews in 2018....

IF you take McGovern and Rance as the ceiling of these types, they both averages around 90, with Rance's peak being high 90's. If Majak averaged high 80's, that would be enough for an approx. $200k increase.

And while many were stunned that this year’s Brownlow medallist Tom Mitchell wasn’t ranked in the top-25 players in the AFL — and that West Coast were ranked lower than Brisbane in 11th spot — it was far from the only big surprise.

Just below superstar defenders Jeremy McGovern and Alex Rance, who have been included in the past three and five All-Australian teams respectively, is a much maligned Kangaroo who played everywhere else on the ground before settling down back this year.

The vastly improved Majak Daw is rated as the fourth best key defender ahead of 2019, behind McGovern, Brisbane rising star Harris Andrews and Rance, following a season where he finally made his mark playing 18 senior games — twice as many as his previous best in a year.

Daw’s progress since Round 3 has been nothing short of remarkable.

Despite playing just 16 games this year, North’s number one is second in the competition for intercept marks, behind the Eagles’ Jeremy McGovern.

Daw has also won 58 per cent of his possessions from a contest; higher than any other defender.

Previously, he hadn’t played more than nine games in any one season.

Last edited:
Majak's sample size was around 15 games. His previous 10 seasons are fairly irrelevant considering he played the majority of them as a key forward and at times a second ruck.

I objectively agree with you, on paper the others make more sense, he's also not in my side.

However the jump isn't impossible (which was my point) and these things certainly aren't linear with previous seasons as you are making out they are.

These kinds of jumps in performance look great in hindsight and were easy picks by everyone at the end of a year, but like we are discussing are very hard to predict at this stage of the year.

My only point is, I wouldn't be shocked to see him do it, Champion Data ranked him 4th behind Rance, McGovern and Andrews in 2018....

IF you take McGovern and Rance as the ceiling of these types, they both averages around 90, with Rance's peak being high 90's. If Majak averaged high 80's, that would be enough for an approx. $200k increase.
If Daw averages 89 he will be around $435k at his bye and around $440k if he averages 89 for the season.

I don't see the benefit of starting any of those mid-priced defenders. All a pass for me unless Roberton somehow looks like his 2017 self and some

What reports are those? The pre-trade period ones?

He's played head to head against Higgins/Cunnington in a pure center square role for the majority of 3 intra clubs I've seen so far.

He's definately in the Rnd 1 frame, he will play all the pre-season NAB Cup games in a center square role, not a half forward role like GWS was trying to develop him in.

His form in those matches will determine if he's in Rnd 1, he's well ahead of what we thought were getting with the cost we got him at....
I was referencing a post a few weeks back by LuvtheKangas

Yes, I'd say until match simulations were held (2 in the last week or so, with another coming up this Friday ...), the general feel was that Bonar is behind a few, i.e. the ones that I listed. It seems he performed much better than expected in these match sims and many now hold the view that he will be in the team. I'd still be surprised if he's there Rd 1, tbh, but they do appear to be giving him every chance to grab a spot.

Yes, I'd say until match simulations were held (2 in the last week or so, with another coming up this Friday ...), the general feel was that Bonar is behind a few, i.e. the ones that I listed. It seems he performed much better than expected in these match sims and many now hold the view that he will be in the team. I'd still be surprised if he's there Rd 1, tbh, but they do appear to be giving him every chance to grab a spot.
Sweet, can't wait to see how he performs in the Marsh series.

On moto g(6) play using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone dismissing Simpkin is only doing so because they know nothing of our list and have no idea what's going on at the club. I haven't picked him but hard to argue the pick considering he'll basically play full time midfield and looked excellent last year through there and by all reports looking great there preseason.
If he will play close to full time mid and is such a talent, why isn't he in your team esp as a Norf supporter?

My chol is slightly enswolled by his randomly good games last year. Racked up a ton of touches in a few.

****ed off Wingard for Bonar

With the extra funds.
Bought in Gull for Laird
Dunkley for Oliver
Young and Cockatoo in place of bottom priced rookies.

I guess I have 6 rookies on field now but technically I reduced the amount of players who have never played afl at all down to 3 on field.

image001-3.png

I think i should leave this because im starting to mess around too much and forgetting the lessons I was suppose to take into this year lol.

f’ed off Wingard for Bonar

With the extra funds.
Bought in Gull for Laird
Dunkley for Oliver

I guess I have 6 rookies on field now but technically I reduced the amount of players who have never played afl at all down to 3 on field.

View attachment 820392

I think i should leave this because im starting to mess around too much and forgetting the lessons I was suppose to take into this year lol.

Dunkley had a crazy good season last year, but he a must-have over Oliver? You just mentioned you 'upgraded' Oliver to Dunks, but i'd have to think they are pretty even going into season 2020 and one is $30k cheaper than the other. If you are happy with it and don't need the extra cash then disregard my question.

I'm mainly asking because in reference to your last sentence, over thinking was my downfall last year and I hate seeing others fall on their sword the same way :drunk:.

If he will play close to full time mid and is such a talent, why isn't he in your team esp as a Norf supporter?

My chol is slightly enswolled by his randomly good games last year. Racked up a ton of touches in a few.

I'm not saying he's a lock - just saying those that are dismissing it as a bad pick have no idea who he is or what his role in the side is. He was recently added to the leadership group which further emphasizes the view of him from within. There are certainly some very good reasons to pick him.

Why isn't he in my team? I think he'll average mid-high 80s. His disposal efficiency isn't the greatest and I think he'll be inconsistent from game to game.

Dunkley had a crazy good season last year, but he a must-have over Oliver? You just mentioned you 'upgraded' Oliver to Dunks, but i'd have to think they are pretty even going into season 2020 and one is $30k cheaper than the other. If you are happy with it and don't need the extra cash then disregard my question.

I'm mainly asking because in reference to your last sentence, over thinking was my downfall last year and I hate seeing others fall on their sword the same way :drunk:.

I upgraded as I feel Dunkley has the potential to be the number 1 mid this year and you can always get oliver cheap at some point and i dont think he has 120+ in him.

Dont forget Dunkleys last 2 months of 2018. When he plays on ball he is a certified pig, can easily go 120+ for a season if left there.

Last edited:
I upgraded as I feel Dunkley has the potential to be the number 1 mid this year and you can always get oliver cheap at some point and i dont think he has 120+ in him.

Dont forget Dunkleys last 2 months of 2018. When he plays on ball he is a certified pig, can easily go 120+ for a season if left there.
Couldn't agree more. Dunkley has 120+ avg potential when playing midfield.

Averaged 127 last year after round 7 move into the guts.

With the extra funds.
Bought in Gull for Laird
Dunkley for Oliver

View attachment 820392

Hi mate, I like your team.

But, here is a few quick question for you:
  • Lloyd is he a must have this year?
  • Gawn injury concerns you at all - or just gonna lock it in and save a trade?
  • Smith & Steven - combined are they too much of a risk for you? Given you've taken plenty of other risks too?
  • Is Houston better than Sicily (sis burnt me last year :mad: )

Sicily's scores last year were heavily affected by the amount of time he spent playing as a quasi-KPP at both ends of the field. The signings of Frost and Patton and the apparent positional move of McEvoy to the backline will help him enormously. Sicily has been locked into my team from the day SC opened and barring injury he'll stay there.

Hi mate, I like your team.

But, here is a few quick question for you:
  • Lloyd is he a must have this year?
  • Gawn injury concerns you at all - or just gonna lock it in and save a trade?
  • Smith & Steven - combined are they too much of a risk for you? Given you've taken plenty of other risks too?

I would say Gull is not a must start but will end up a must have. I know he had a slow finish to the year but he had a slow start the year before. Chances are he still finishes as the no 1 defender though unless he role changes drastically. What else will he do but seagull even if he doesnt take as many kick ins. Does not have any more risk than any other defender u could pick imo.

No concerns about Gawn unless he misses rnd 1. They expect him to play in the preaseason too so must have pulled up well.

Not worried about smith physically hasnt missed a beat all preseason. His role maybe a worry but nobody knows what that will be for sure so no reason not to pick at that price at this stage imo.

Steven calf injury is a concern but will see how he goes in the ps games if he plays any.

Siicly lol. Why pay 500k when u know he will burn u and at some point u can get him for low 400s.

I'm not saying he's a lock - just saying those that are dismissing it as a bad pick have no idea who he is or what his role in the side is. He was recently added to the leadership group which further emphasizes the view of him from within. There are certainly some very good reasons to pick him.

Why isn't he in my team? I think he'll average mid-high 80s. His disposal efficiency isn't the greatest and I think he'll be inconsistent from game to game.
Seemed very inconsistent. Couple of huge games, 9 games where he had under 15 possessions.
he seemed to play mid in round 22 - 33 possessions.

round 23 his heatmap indicates mid again. Yet only 11 possessions, 0 marks, 0 goals, 1 goal assist, 4 tackles. 49 sc points. yuck.

2218BD1A-E288-438C-AA5F-C27E882A6D3A.png

Seemed very inconsistent. Couple of huge games, 9 games where he had under 15 possessions.
he seemed to play mid in round 22 - 33 possessions.

round 23 his heatmap indicates mid again. Yet only 11 possessions, 0 marks, 0 goals, 1 goal assist, 4 tackles. 49 sc points. yuck.

View attachment 820608

Well yeah, it's why he's 383K, I cited his inconsistency. If he wasn't inconsistent he wouldn't be priced 383K. Everyone at that price has a reason they're priced that way otherwise they'd be premiums.

He's been in the AFL for 3 years and came off a broken leg in his first season and played predominantly forward until around 8 or so rounds into last season. Finally given some midfield time and he put in some excellent shifts last season.

Heaps of great signs last season. I'm not suggesting everyone pick him, but he's not a terrible pick if you want to take a mid-priced risk. He'll only get better with another uninterrupted pre-season under his belt with a clear focus on him playing midfield this season.

The forward line is a crapshoot this season past Whitfield, Walters, Martin and maybe Heeney. Simpkin is as good as any option around the 350-400K price-range in my opinion.

With the extra funds.
Bought in Gull for Laird
Dunkley for Oliver

View attachment 820392

Very nice side vast, only things I don’t like is 4 premo mids as it’s always the highest scoring line throughout the season and cockatoo just because of his injury history. Love how strong your drench and forward lines are though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back