Preview Marsh game 2 vs Cola swans Monday March 9 1:40pm Kingston Twins Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I like these games. Ok, my turn.

"2 fit Walkers will move our side forward"

Next.
We have nothing on the list that is better than the old "go Lower and Swallow" line we could have used in the past...

McGuiness would have trouble smashing a McFlurry at his current size.
I saw him on Friday and it actually looked like he has put on a passable amount of weight this pre-season. Reckon by next pre-season he will have an AFL rookie sized body, probably a slightly slimmer version of what Comben was drafted like. He will be turning 21 in June of next year. Obviously starting behind the eight ball considering his physical condition but if he gets another year, still as a Cat B free hit, I can see him making it in the long term.

I saw him on Friday and it actually looked like he has put on a passable amount of weight this pre-season. Reckon by next pre-season he will have an AFL rookie sized body, probably a slightly slimmer version of what Comben was drafted like. He will be turning 21 in June of next year. Obviously starting behind the eight ball considering his physical condition but if he gets another year, still as a Cat B free hit, I can see him making it in the long term.

Hopefully. I don't have a huge amount of faith in our ability to cultivate quality 50+ game players but he's certainly tall and plays a decent rebound kicking style based on highlights.

I just don't understand why someone can't reshape his body shape in an elite program, given today's science

Nah Dumont plods too much

at least on the outside he can use his endurance even though he doesn’t have pace

There are so many examples of people that aren’t quick that play well in the midfield.

Dominant Geelong midfield of a few years back a great example. Kelly, Ling, Bartel, Selwood, Duncan etc. weren’t quick. Better players admitedly. But writing players off as midelfielders due to a lack of speed is simplistic. I

There are so many examples of people that aren’t quick that play well in the midfield.

Dominant Geelong midfield of a few years back a great example. Kelly, Ling, Bartel, Selwood, Duncan etc. weren’t quick. Better players admitedly. But writing players off as midelfielders due to a lack of speed is simplistic. I
Good point. The more skills you naturally have, and the faster your brain/hand/eye/feet work, the slower your actual leg speed can be.
thats not to say that a couple of speedsters somewhere between halfback and halfforward wouldn’t be handy too!

You don't throw a talent like Thomas around like that while he's developing.
Yes I agree in principle. I wouldn’t have to stones to throw the magnets like that. If I did, I almost think that TT wouldn’t be stymied by a short excursion back but given it doesn’t work well for everyone I appreciate it’s a risky move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s all well and good but we already have enough slow inside mids. The Geelong midfield imo were only dominant when Ablett was there providing the pace once he left they plodded along (Won the flag on an experienced prime list not through midfield dominance)

Last edited:
That’s all well and good but we already have enough snow inside mids. The Geelong midfield imo were only dominant when Ablett was there providing the pace once he left they plodded along (Won the flag on an experienced prime list not through midfield dominance)

Like it or not, Hall needs to play the speedster role for us. Is Scott fast? For me, it’s more important to be able to move the ball quickly. Of course, that brings us back to skills. Catch 22.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This slow Geelong thing is a bit misleading.

Looking at the 2007 premiership side (how TF is that 13 years ago? :oops:)

As far as mids/flankers go no Selwood, Kelly, Ling and Bartel weren't quick.

But Ablett used what his pace intelligently. Wojcinski could run fast as could Enright. Corey could carry the ball effectively a la someone like Higgins.

Chapman was capable of a quick burst and Stokes was no slug.

They had enough guys who ran at the right times and could move powerfully or evasively to complement the slower but skilled brigade.

In 2009 and 2011 they added another quick in Varcoe to that mix.

The 30-man squad is as follows:
B: Majak Daw, Robbie Tarrant, Jasper Pittard
HB: Jamie Macmillan, Josh Walker, Shaun Atley
C: Jed Anderson, Ben Cunnington, Jared Polec
HF: Tarryn Thomas, Jack Ziebell, Taylor Garner
F: Jy Simpkin, Nick Larkey, Cameron Zurhaar
R: Todd Goldstein, Shaun Higgins, Trent Dumont
INT: Luke McDonald, Paul Ahern, Aiden Bonar, Sam Durdin, Charlie Comben, Curtis Taylor, Mason Wood, Jack Mahony, Joel Crocker, Tristan Xerri, Tom Murphy, Aaron Hall

The 30-man squad is as follows:
B: Majak Daw, Robbie Tarrant, Jasper Pittard
HB: Jamie Macmillan, Josh Walker, Shaun Atley
C: Jed Anderson, Ben Cunnington, Jared Polec
HF: Tarryn Thomas, Jack Ziebell, Taylor Garner
F: Jy Simpkin, Nick Larkey, Cameron Zurhaar
R: Todd Goldstein, Shaun Higgins, Trent Dumont
INT: Luke McDonald, Paul Ahern, Aiden Bonar, Sam Durdin, Charlie Comben, Curtis Taylor, Mason Wood, Jack Mahony, Joel Crocker, Tristan Xerri, Tom Murphy, Aaron Hall
looks like we are going with the round 1 team on the field with interchange to battle it out for the last 4 spots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back