Preview Marsh game 2 - Port v Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting. No experimentation or giving new blokes a shot. Is Bevo playing for keeps this pre-season?
Where does this place Trengove? Are Sweet and Gardner ahead of him?
No Weightman, Greene or West. Wouldn't have minded a look at Butler too but I can understand he'd be a long way off pushing for a seniors' spot.

This must be pretty damn close to our planned Round 1 team. I'm assuming guys like Sweet and Gardner are just getting a run while we have the chance, then will be back to full time VFL. Gonna be a fight for spots once Libba, Naughton and Duryea find their way in.

That forward line is so exciting. Put Lipinski onto the bench, and bring Naughton in, and I think we have our main 6

Do we think the club's being conservative with Richards and Dickson, or are they genuinely not even in the best 26 right now? Cause we have said we're aiming for as close as possible to our round 1 lineup and they're both meant to be fit.

The puzzling ones for me are Trengove, Gowers and Weightman. Trengove and Gowers must be entirely out of favour and not even close to selection. Odd that Gardner is getting games, but Trengove isn't..

Weightman I'm guessing has just been a little overhyped this preseason by the media, because the way they have been talking, it seemed he'd at least get a run in the preseason comp. Can't be anywhere near debuting if he's not in the frame for these preseason games

The puzzling ones for me are Trengove, Gowers and Weightman. Trengove and Gowers must be entirely out of favour and not even close to selection. Odd that Gardner is getting games, but Trengove isn't..

I guess they figure that Gardner would benefit from development, compared to Trengove who must be turning 30 this year. Maybe they think Gardner's best, still ahead of him, is better than Trengove's 2020 form will be.

I guess they figure that Gardner would benefit from development, compared to Trengove who must be turning 30 this year. Maybe they think Gardner's best, still ahead of him, is better than Trengove's 2020 form will be.
That makes sense. Disappointing though, because I thought Trengove was pretty reliable last year, and never really conceded any bags of goals, while being very good one on one.

Can't see Gowers ever finding a spot now, barring mass injuries, since he's competing with the likes of Wallis, Lloyd, Dale plus arguably guys like Lipinski, McLean, West, Greene and Weightman. It's tight competition for spots in that last forward/mid spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think with gowers and trengove we have a fair idea what they bring to the table and will be break glass when needed kind of players. Does more favours for guys like young last week to go out and gain some confidence or push their name into contention. More shocked Cavarra greene weightman and the like didnt get a run

It is along season and you can be certain the Bevo's best 22 for round 1 will not be our best 22 for round 22 ( A lot 22;s there Richie would be rapt). You already have Astro and arguably Libba and Duryea out. Plenty time for the likes of Cody, Greene, Cavarra etc to prove they should be in it. Plus we are bound to get some injuries.

The list on the bench will be shortened to 6 before game day. My guess is Gardner and Sweet won’t make the cut. Very strong team! Can’t wait to see Bruce in action!

You would think Trengrove is best match for Charlie Dixon. Cordy just gets rag-dolled and Keath is more of an interceptor.

Will we see Daniel versus Dixon??

KM
I thought Trengrove would be the ideal matchup as well. Bit odd. Maybe we really want to back our rebounding off half-back? Or really rate Keath’s intercepting?

The list on the bench will be shortened to 6 before game day. My guess is Gardner and Sweet won’t make the cut. Very strong team! Can’t wait to see Bruce in action!
I think sweet stays in. They're playing a few rucks and we might want to ease english in

Weightman I'm guessing has just been a little overhyped this preseason by the media, because the way they have been talking, it seemed he'd at least get a run in the preseason comp. Can't be anywhere near debuting if he's not in the frame for these preseason games

Watching Trengove on the weekend I was astounded at how long it took him to get boot to ball as he invariably wheeled around onto his right with all the speed of a sleepy Koala. I suspect that he just doesn't fit into Beveridges plan of attacking from anywhere in the defencive half.

Ive never understood how most here had Weightman as a walk up start since his drafting. He may have a little more zip than others, however its not like we lack for solid small/medium forwards at the moment and nothing I saw over the weekend indicates he is ahead of the likes of Riley West, let alone an established best 22 player like McLean as next in line for one of those slots. He can learn his trade at Footscray for a little while. It'll do him no harm.

Watching Trengove on the weekend I was astounded at how long it took him to get boot to ball as he invariably wheeled around onto his right with all the speed of a sleepy Koala. I suspect that he just doesn't fit into Beveridges plan of attacking from anywhere in the defencive half.

I think he's better on the man than the ball, and best if there's one standout monster forward.

You would think Trengrove is best match for Charlie Dixon. Cordy just gets rag-dolled and Keath is more of an interceptor.

Will we see Daniel versus Dixon??

KM

Maybe we don't think that Trengove's ability to defend a key forward justifies the 7 goals he gives away to the other forwards with his poor kicking and dumb decisions? I'd prefer to let Dixon kick a few.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back