Preview Marsh game 2 - Port v Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously? People are saying "disappointing", "ordinary", "poor". How about the positives? Didn't hear any mention of Bruce, English, Williams, Smith in those comments.

I can't believe this board sometimes, did you even watch the game? Conditions were horrible and most importantly it's PRE-SEASON.

We got what we came for match fitness and NO INJURIES.

Beveridge has never cared about the result in pre-season we are 6/15 since 2015.
Sorry, mate. Just me being a dill. While pre-season games give us a bit of indication on how things are tracking coming in to the season, they really mean fudge all in the way the season is going to play out.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

All good mate, I just can’t stand the doomsayers (not you) who just wait for their opportunity to strike when we fail and ‘told ya so’ when we win.

I wouldn’t walk across the road to watch a preseason game.

Our defence looked very vulnerable in the air all day even when Dixon was off the ground. Cordy struggles against talls in most situations and Keath lacks body strength against big forwards. We will need to rely on very effective team defence to counter big opposition forwards (as per always). I think Beveridge has plenty to think about because our best 22 is certainly not self-evident.

You mean “Dixxxxoooooonnnnnn”.

Der-Wayne’s unhealthy obsession continues.

Timmy was so good that we looked inept when he was off the ground so Trengove is now a must my me. Even if he simply pinch hits off the bench.

Schache was everything that the lions let go today and after that game cannot be selected round one and with Naughts coming back best get use to the VFL In 2020.

English
Bruce
Williams

were my positives out of the day

I thought Schache, McLean & Daniel were all pretty putrid.

Keath also cannot take the "gorillas" - more of a third up type.
For sure, I like you would have preferred to see the boys risk injury to win at all costs!!!
sound silly????
Because it is....

Timmy was so good that we looked inept when he was off the ground so Trengove is now a must my me. Even if he simply pinch hits off the bench.

Schache was everything that the lions let go today and after that game cannot be selected round one and with Naughts coming back best get use to the VFL In 2020.

English
Bruce
Williams

were my positives out of the day

mattdougie has
A positive comment you beauty.

Would you rather English and Bruce injured and in doubt for round 1, or a 10 point loss in a pre-season game? I’ll take the loss. Port will have to find cover for Lycett and Dixon very fast.

Positives:

English was clunking everything early on, and winning his fair share of the ruck contests.

Bruce was a shining light - Awesome hands, really gave us a target. I have him down for 40-50 goals this year.

Williams seemed sure of himself and put his sidestep to good use. Plays round 1 for me.
Thanks Bud,
Best quick breakdown of the game all thread.
Don’t like hearing people judge a players form to harshly two weeks out from a game with four points on the line.
we play our best when we are first to the ball. To be first means putting your body on the line.
And I’m happy to see no silly risks were taken today. BRING ON ROUND ONE !

Don't care about losing but that was disappointing structurally. Keath looks lost in a accountable role. I had my doubts whether Keath could play second banana to either Trengove or Young but somehow Keath is main defender? There's a reason Adelaide had to play both Talia and Hartigan to get Keath to play his best. Keath isn't a shutdown defender. No surprise that he looked better last match when Gardner was there.

You can give me all the stats you like, but I feel a lot less secure in my Bonds undies when Caleb is playing deep in the backline. Squeaky bum time. Lucky I stocked up at Aldi.

I love CD but he slows us down when he has too much time on his lovely little hands. He’s razor sharp when we need to move it in the middle. I’d rather a boringly old fashioned roost down the line than a dinky soccer one-two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't care about losing but that was disappointing structurally. Keath looks lost in a accountable role. I had my doubts whether Keath could play second banana to either Trengove or Young but somehow Keath is main defender? There's a reason Adelaide had to play both Talia and Hartigan to get Keath to play his best. Keath isn't a shutdown defender. No surprise that he looked better last match when Gardner was there.

I agree. The loss I am not concerned about as our midfield seemed to be not going full pace I feel if it was a real match our midfield would beat there midfield easily. The defence is still the worry Keath is an intercept player and not big enough for a Charlie Dixon, and Cordy is not big or strong enough either. Trengove is with a bit a battler but still our best bet to play on the monster forwards.

English and Bruce definitely the highlights
Williams played himself into round 1
McLean doesn't play for mine, to low in the mid pecking order and isn't a small forward
R.smith has earned a start on the wing looks to have improved over a rare uninteruped preseason.
Keath is what he is. A great interceptor. Don't think any of us expected him to come into our squad as the number 1 defender.
Think Daniel needs to move further up the ground and work on sticking a tackle, definitely best 22 but can't be forced to be last defender
structure lost us the game in my opinion but it's a structure that should work against a smaller pies forward line

Out of curiosity, how did we go in the hit outs? English hold his own?
We won the hitouts overall, 42-34.

English highest on 37.
Westhoff next best on 17 with Lycett on 10.

Worth mentioning Lycett came off and didn't finish out the game, but English was definitely winning at that point. Honestly really impressed by the rucking today - Lycett is one of the big "men" rucks that would normally have given English trouble, but he really held his ground well today, won the taps, and was a far bigger presence around the ground.

Going off fantasy points, English was first today with 120. Westhoff in second with 109 which flatters him a bit

English highest on 37.

Worth mentioning Lycett came off and didn't finish out the game, but English was definitely winning at that point. Honestly really impressed by the rucking today - Lycett is one of the big "men" rucks that would normally have given English trouble, but he really held his ground well today, won the taps, and was a far bigger presence around the ground.

Going off fantasy points, English was first today with 120. Westhoff in second with 109 which flatters him a bit
Keath rucking in defence bothered me. Made us two defenders short rather then one. Hopefully that doesn't happen come round 1

English highest on 37.

Thanks mate! Where did you find the stats? Can’t see them on the AFL site.

Keath has some good 1:1 moments last week that seemed to have disappeared from his game today. We’ll still need 2:1 for the big hulking forwards contests

Finals football and high pressure games helps us a little when DE % going into F50 drops and he can intercept.

It’s not perfect, but I can’t see our Defensive or Forward structures going backward this year with the addition of Keath and Bruce.

I agree. The loss I am not concerned about as our midfield seemed to be not going full pace I feel if it was a real match our midfield would beat there midfield easily. The defence is still the worry Keath is an intercept player and not big enough for a Charlie Dixon, and Cordy is not big or strong enough either. Trengove is with a bit a battler but still our best bet to play on the monster forwards.

The defence always looks better when the mids are on top. Especially the interceptor types.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back