Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

From others that have watched him more does he have any elite traits?
Reading of play
Marking
Decision making

Unfortunately lacks pace and takes the safe lateral option too often, lacks penetration in his kicking too.

Reading of play
Marking
Decision making

Unfortunately lacks pace and takes the safe lateral option too often, lacks penetration in his kicking too.

I'm luke-warm on Shaz but to be fair to the guy I don't believe that he has been granted enough continuity to showcase his ability to impact games. His lack of pace is undeniable.

Rusling + Dick
So so so much talent - could seriously play
These 2 hurt (along w Tom Davidson...remember him tearing the Bulldogs a new one?)
Lee Walker is the one for me. Whereas the other guys careers may have gone either way, Walker waa a definite star.

Reading of play
Marking
Decision making

Injuries has sadly cost him a Chance of being at least a Solid AFL Player

Lee Walker is the one for me. Whereas the other guys careers may have gone either way, Walker waa a definite star.

For those old enough to have seen the Western Australian's handful of games (5?) for the Pies, there is little doubt he could have been our own Carey*.

* I mean that in a good way.

For those old enough to have seen the Western Australian's handful of games (5?) for the Pies, there is little doubt he could have been our own Carey*.

* I mean that in a good way.
Lee Walker was the complete CHF. His knee reconstructions didn't seem to rob him of his pace. He was undoubtedly the most talented of all the players we lost to debilitating injury.

Lee Walker was the complete CHF. His knee reconstructions didn't seem to rob him of his pace. He was undoubtedly the most talented of all the players we lost to debilitating injury.
Or Butch Edwards. Still his knees were gone when we got him

Sorry "boys" Lee Walker was a goodun....but Johnny Greening is "undoubtedly the most talented of all the players we lost to debilitating injury."
Probably one of the most talented of all time actually...losing him was like losing Coleman was for Essendon.

Sorry "boys" Lee Walker was a goodun....but Johnny Greening is "undoubtedly the most talented of all the players we lost to debilitating injury."
Probably one of the most talented of all time actually...losing him was like losing Coleman was for Essendon.
I agree. I should have added the word 'chronic'.

While that’s true, we probably never would have been able to get Walker across in the first place were it not for his injury history.

As much or perhaps even more than Shaz Freeman was destroyed by injury.

Don’t think anyone can say we mucked up as unpredicatable injuries finished his career without him ever getting a chance to show what he had
Saints had plenty of time to look at him. There’s a reason they cut him despite his body finally getting right. Unlike Scharenberg, he was an athlete, not a footballer.

Saints had plenty of time to look at him. There’s a reason they cut him despite his body finally getting right. Unlike Scharenberg, he was an athlete, not a footballer.
A counter argument is that him relying on athleticism makes his injuries more debilitating in that they robbed him of his only weapon. Just gotta like at the halves of Daisy's career to know what a detrimental impact injuries can have on blokes for whom pace is a serious weapon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't argue about Greening because I never got the opportunity to see him, but all the people who did say the same thing i.e. that he was a once a generation talent.

Greening was lost to us through thuggery, not compromised genetics in his physical composition. Yes, technically the blunt trauma he suffered was "injury", but it wasn't his own body letting him down.

That arguably makes his loss more of a tragedy.

Couldn’t run like a headless chook into trouble anymore, had to find a downfield option and couldn’t do it.

his body never got “right” though. He lost his pace. I watched Keefe outrun him in a VFL game a few years ago.
His body was right in the sense that he was playing injury free for an extended period and he made a senior debut. Like Scharenberg, he lost his pace. Unlike Scharenberg, he was unable to compete at the highest level after he lost said pace, because he was a dumb footballer.

I couldn't argue about Greening because I never got the opportunity to see him, but all the people who did say the same thing i.e. that he was a once a generation talent.

Greening was lost to us through thuggery, not compromised genetics in his physical composition. Yes, technically the blunt trauma he suffered was "injury", but it wasn't his own body letting him down.

That arguably makes his loss more of a tragedy.

Oh it WAS a tragedy. JG was a "once in a LIFETIME" player.

The Scharenberg affair is extraordinary to me. In my eyes, he's so clearly in our best side in the absence of Langdon; his 2018 form was outstanding, he was one of our best players that year, and I thought as he gained continuity after returning in 2019, his confidence and output improved swiftly with every game he played. Was extraordinarily dumped for cut throat games against renowned tall sides West Coast and GWS (one of which we luckily won) and then didn't play a final at all (not sure we'd have played a granny with him in the side, but he had greater stakes to selection than the likes of Noble and Aish who did nothing on the night). To my knowledge, he's never had training nor professionalism issues and he's never demonstrated anything besides a lack of pace to suggest that he's not up to the scratches of AFL level, but a lack of pace he makes up for with his strong hands, shut down ability and smarts with ball in hand. Furthermore Bucks has always shown immense faith in athletically limited players who've shown the heart that somebody like Shaz has. I just cannot wrap my head around why he does not appear to be in the picture for an early season selection.

Having him in the side as the third tall means that he could take a tall forward and allow Moore to have greater impact on the game. Imagine a roaming Moore waltzing around the back half of the ground taking everything that comes in his direction and then launching counter attacks with his sweet foot.
The only thing that is extraordinary is the fact that you think Shaz can handle KPF’s. Everything we’ve seen in regards to Shaz on a KPF suggests the opposite, and to me seems to be the glaringly obvious reason why the coaching panel prefers Langdon (among others e.g Howe, Crisp, Maynard) - Versatility.

Its also extraordinary to me that you seem to have such a strong view on Shaz, but seem to have little understanding of him as a player. If you did, you would fully understand why Shaz is not in the 1st team taking KPF’s with Moore shifting to a floating role.

I am interested to see how he goes in 2020, I think with the Langdon issue there is a certain spot for him. We've seen that Bucks like two play 2 pure KPD's like Moore and Roughead, and have two rotating third types, usually in Howe and Langdon, and those four are accompanied by Maynard, Crisp and an Aish/Greenwood/Noble type.

Throughout patches of 2018 and 2019, when Howe and Langdon were out respectively I think we saw some really good signs from Shaz, either dropping of as the spare interceptor or rotating onto the third tall/mid sized forward. Sadly either Shaz got injured or the likes of Howe/Langdon returned and there was never any hope of all 3 pairing with the 2 main KPD's, it just made us far to slow and tall.

I think with the Langdon news (I do hope Langers can return at some stage), I think we will see Shaz have a chance to team up with Howe and the pair can rotate between that intercept role and picking up the third KPF or the mid-sized forward type. Both have great hands, safe users of the ball and are both fantastic readers of the play, what we'll lose in Langdon's pace, I think we will make up for in Shaz's decision making coming out of the back half.

For mine Shaz just needs to get some consistency. If he can get a good run at it and string a nice amount of games together we'll start to really see some nice stuff from him.

The only thing that is extraordinary is the fact that you think Shaz can handle KPF’s. Everything we’ve seen in regards to Shaz on a KPF suggests the opposite, and to me seems to be the glaringly obvious reason why the coaching panel prefers Langdon (among others e.g Howe, Crisp, Maynard) - Versatility.

Its also extraordinary to me that you seem to have such a strong view on Shaz, but seem to have little understanding of him as a player. If you did, you would fully understand why Shaz is not in the 1st team taking KPF’s with Moore shifting to a floating role.
His 2018 performances suggest otherwise

No doubt Greening was a great player, but if he was the best of all time how come he never won a best and fairest in his 100 games?

Coleman won the best and fairest in his first year.

His 2018 performances suggest otherwise
He has rarely performed well on KPD’s. Go back and watch his performances in 2018, whilst he was good, he was exposed 1on1 against bigger bodies.

Anyways. You bring up these 2018 performances... can you point me in the direction of games where he has proven himself able to play on big forwards?

Just off the top of my head, he was exposed in 2018 on Queens Birthday as Melbourne isolated him 1on1 v Tom McDonald. I believe Mcdonald kicked 4 on him, on a day where we completely dominated them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back