Preview Round 1, 2020: Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions, 22 March 2020, 3.20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see Cj getting a game i love the way he goes about it but i don't think he composed enough with the footy yet! in a back 6 containing Mcevoy,Stratts,Frost we can't carry him yet.

I am very confused with the team balance for a slowish team loosing Hardwick and Impey who are hard runners!
I think we better play Scully and Hendo across half back we can then afford the tall timber around them!
Smith,Jom,Morrison/shiels on the wing.

-I hope Day/Finn are Considered.
- Fingers crossed, Tob and Gunners get up.

I can't see Cj getting a game i love the way he goes about it but i don't think he composed enough with the footy yet! in a back 6 containing Mcevoy,Stratts,Frost we can't carry him yet.

I am very confused with the team balance for a slowish team loosing Hardwick and Impey who are hard runners!
I think we better play Scully and Hendo across half back we can then afford the tall timber around them!
Smith,Jom,Morrison/shiels on the wing.

-I hope Day/Finn are Considered.
- Fingers crossed, Tob and Gunners get up.
CJ I think is very close to a spot he offers a bit of dare and dash in the backline. For the moment though I see him and Scrimshaw as competing for a place back there. Scrimshaw is more experienced, a tad more skilled and is developing nicely in his own right. Morrison is a smoky for round 1 because he provides potential midfield and forward rotations if needed.

I personally don't see us as a slow team. We looked zippy enough in the last few games of last season, and though we add Patton not known for his speed, we also add Frost, who is. We have a few talls who are very quick and agile for their size. Frost joins Nash, Gunston and O'Brien in that sense, and it's a big luxury.

I wish somehow we would get a glimpse of Day/Finn early in the season, but it seems unlikely. They'd both be looking at the precedents of Worpel and Lewis who've come through the draft, done their time at Box Hill, had a taste of the seniors, back to Box Hill to work hard on the wrinkles in their game and then managed cement their place in the senior team.

If Jiath doesn't play simply put we are tanking on face value. We are on paper the slowest team in the league without him... we may still be with him but he'll be our fastest player by a mile without Impey… who is still recovering form a knee for another half a season. We have very little with pace left. Pup lasts about 12 minutes these days, who else is there? Not endurance runners game breakers. Smith perhaps the end.

The game has become fast, if Clarko can change that without precision kicking (we all have seen how bad we are the past few weeks) then he is not just a genius... he is the bloody messiah.
Pace isn’t everything, I’d take speed of ball movement over fleet of foot everyday.
Look at *Essendon, lightning across half back and quick across half forward, and have been for years. Where’s that got them?
Yeah, we aren’t quick, but one Sicily bullet to Smith on a wing, and then a long kick to Patton 1on1 is pretty quick end to end footy.

Pace isn’t everything, I’d take speed of ball movement over fleet of foot everyday.
Look at *Essendon, lightning across half back and quick across half forward, and have been for years. Where’s that got them?
Yeah, we aren’t quick, but one Sicily bullet to Smith on a wing, and then a long kick to Patton 1on1 is pretty quick end to end footy.
Yep look at Lewis Jetta. He’s lightning quick off the mark, but I watched him spear a 60 metre pass the other day that was in the air for a total of one second. His footspeed is handy, but his kicking is worth more in the modern game.

CJ I think is very close to a spot he offers a bit of dare and dash in the backline. For the moment though I see him and Scrimshaw as competing for a place back there. Scrimshaw is more experienced, a tad more skilled and is developing nicely in his own right. Morrison is a smoky for round 1 because he provides potential midfield and forward rotations if needed.

I personally don't see us as a slow team. We looked zippy enough in the last few games of last season, and though we add Patton not known for his speed, we also add Frost, who is. We have a few talls who are very quick and agile for their size. Frost joins Nash, Gunston and O'Brien in that sense, and it's a big luxury.

I wish somehow we would get a glimpse of Day/Finn early in the season, but it seems unlikely. They'd both be looking at the precedents of Worpel and Lewis who've come through the draft, done their time at Box Hill, had a taste of the seniors, back to Box Hill to work hard on the wrinkles in their game and then managed cement their place in the senior team.

This week intraclub might decide that C.j is very close, i can see him replacing Stratts in the future.
Safe to say Morrison will play flexibilty, and can play a number of different roles.

I agree both very likely to fine tune there game at boxhill and learn the craft the hawthorn way. if there was ever a time to bring them in they are both capable. Port did a great job debut a few early last year Roozee, Duursma really improved.

Last edited:

I agree in some ways but without Impey and Hardwick who can also do it, we are a little bit one dimensional through Sicily. So the opposition will know who's doing it.

If Jiath doesn't play simply put we are tanking on face value. We are on paper the slowest team in the league without him... we may still be with him but he'll be our fastest player by a mile without Impey… who is still recovering form a knee for another half a season. We have very little with pace left. Pup lasts about 12 minutes these days, who else is there? Not endurance runners game breakers. Smith perhaps the end.

The game has become fast, if Clarko can change that without precision kicking (we all have seen how bad we are the past few weeks) then he is not just a genius... he is the bloody messiah.

If you mention Hawthorn tanking, before round one, on face value you are a spud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Timmy o listed as a test so far, had a average marsh cup game, still a walk up start for mine at his best i agree.

Gunston - i hope he plays match sim this week but i kinda want him to get to 100% first. his first half of last yr was poor until he was fully fit, that being said i would play Gunners underdone over the others.

Lewis,Tob,Gunners it will be interesting to see who they pick all with a slightly interrupted preseason.

Lions don't have one injury to report wow.

Last edited:
Interesting in some hawk hating threads the narrative is old,injury prone players, dodgy recruits that the medical room is largely younger draftees

including 2 out of 4 of our ‘best youth’

I'm not too concerned about our ball use moving forward. We had a bad Marsh series from that perspective, definitely - but there are reasons why. A combination of games on blustery ovals and missing some high-end ball users made it seem a lot worse than it was.

Personally, I think the continued development of Jack Scrimshaw will help, and having Sicily back in the line-up and actually trying will help as well. The club will likely play Smith in a HBF role to inject some energy, and post-injury he played some good footy in that role. Looks ready to go.

The interesting one is Frost. Impey really gave us some spark with his jets and the ability to get through traffic, but he's missing the majority of the season. Frost has that capability but seems to ruin it by fluffing up the disposal. If we can get him to break those lines and dispose of the ball safely to the next man, he'll go a long way to replacing that Impey spark.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how Mitchell and Scully playing in the same team impacts our rotations considering they're both absolute workhorses and have historically spent the most TOG% for the Inside and Outside midfielder roles respectively. It could be one of the biggest advantages we have.

I reckon we try and get Timmy O and Mitch Lewis up with Gunston doubtful to play. Actually think we will look better with Patton and 2 versatile flexible talls in O Brien and Gunston which leaves Lewis in limbo a bit. If both Tim and Jack don't play we will go with someone like Jackson Ross or Matt Walker to accommodate the general up forward which is not the worst thing in the world. We get to see if these guys have the goods to cut it in the big time.

Brisbane has an injury list of nill, every player available. No excuses for them, fingers crossed we can get the job done regardless.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
Had a dream run for the past 12 months. Having said they got decimated a few times during the past few years so it's their turn now to get some continuity every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back