Women's Footy AFLW Round 6 2020 - Western Bulldogs v Fremantle - Whitten Oval. Sunday 15 Mar 2020, 10:10pm AWST

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
LAST TIME THEY MET

Round 5 2019, Fremantle 8.4.52 defeated the Dogs 5.4.34 and the margin probably should have been greater given the 37 to 17 inside 50 dominance. Bowers clear best on ground but Hooker was also important. Gibson kicked 3 while Duffy and Houghton had a couple each. Conti and Brennan the standouts for the Dogs and helped keep them in it.

WHAT'S CHANGED

Brennan and Conti are no longer at the Dogs, whilst Hooker and Gibson are no longer at the Dockers. One team sits atop the ladder as only remaining undefeated team in the AFLW whilst the other has only won one win (round 1 against St Kilda) and lost to cellar dwelling West Coast two weeks ago.

TEAMS

Fremantle

In:
B.Webb, M.Clifford
Out: R.Roux (rested), L.Rohde (omitted)

B L.Mascall 14 ~ J.Cuthbertson 29
HB E.O'Driscoll 3 ~ P.Seth 18 ~ L.Pugh 32
C K.Antonio 15 ~ H.Miller 19 ~ J.Stewart 7
HF E.Antonio 12 ~ A.Sharp 1 ~ G.O'Sullivan 22
F G.Houghton 27 ~ S.Duffy 6
FOL M.Strom 21 ~ K.Grieve 13 ~ K.Bowers 2
I/C K.Flood 44 ~ A.Stannett 24 ~ E.Gooch 8 ~ B.Webb 26 ~ M.Clifford 4
EMG K.Rohde 11 ~ S.Garstone 16

Western Bulldogs

In:
N.Morris-Dalton
Out: H.Scott (omitted)

B A.Guest 19 ~ L.Spark 11
HB E.Brown 9 ~ I.Huntington 4 ~ N.Ferres 16
C B.Hunt 21 ~ K.Lamb 27 ~ B.Lochland 1
HF G.Newton 5 ~ K.Rennie 24 ~ K.McLeod 6
F N.Morris-Dalton 25 ~ G.Lagioia 12
FOL C.Moody 13 ~ E.Blackburn 2 ~ A.McCarthy 15
I/C K.Herron 31 ~ D.Berry 7 ~ E.Georgostathis 17 ~ D.Marshall 26 ~ H.Munyard 20
EMG B.Gutknecht 18 ~ N.Callinan 10

ANALYSIS AND PREDICTION

Fremantle deservedly go in as heavy favourites and this is exactly the type of game where a team can be over confident and not respect the opposition, especially away from home. The Dogs, like Freo, don't like to handball much and will likely struggle to cope with Freo's pressure and be unable to move the ball into space to find targets with their kicks. Like the derby it could result in a lot of bombing the ball from stoppages by the Dogs, with Freo's defenders feasting on intercepts.

With Ebony Antonio's shift to playing more on a wing it is understandable Rohde got dropped to allow Webb to come back in. The move is a clever one as Ebony is an impact player (as evidenced by her attack on the ball that won the St Kilda game) and running through the middle of the ground we leverage that more. She looked far more comfortable there last week than the week before and I'm expecting her to settle in further and have even greater impact this weekend.

I'm also expecting to see Clifford come in and play forward with Roux being rested (unless Pugh goes forward again), and hope to see goals from her, Sharp, O'Sullivan, Duffy, Houghton, Antonio and Flood. Big fan of Huntington but not sure she can keep everyone in that forward line in check. Hopefully Freo takes another step building towards finals and it is high scoring and intense despite not having the atmosphere of a crowd.

Fremantle by 4 goals

Last edited:

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I know we wish the best for our Irish recruit but isn’t Flood lucky to keep being selected based on her form? Gets caught holding the ball a lot and for mine is not adding anything to our forwardline that others couldn’t do better.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I know we wish the best for our Irish recruit but isn’t Flood lucky to keep being selected based on her form? Gets caught holding the ball a lot and for mine is not adding anything to our forwardline that others couldn’t do better.
Yeah its a bit weird, doesn't really put on pressure and barely gets the ball?

Surely we have someone in the sheds who is better.

One thing going for her is when she does kick, she does that very well but jeez its not often

oldgoat

All Australian
May 22, 2017
fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
LAST TIME THEY MET

Round 5 2019, Fremantle 8.4.52 defeated the Dogs 5.4.34 ....

Hopefully Freo takes another step building towards finals and it is high scoring and intense despite not having the atmosphere of a crowd.

Fremantle by 4 goals
So too and why not?

Prediction...This will be the last game of the season with or without spectators !

It will be our first premiership and indisputable whatever they decide to call it.

Go Dockers.

Last edited:

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Good game. Dogs playing out of their skins... be interesting to see if they can keep it up for the second half.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Leigh Montagna looks like he’s enjoyed a few pies and beers since he retired.

Last edited:

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I feel like i've seen the exact same thing written about Tabs lol

She's much less one dimensional than Tabs though, he's useless once the ball hits the ground. With her athleticism she's a constant danger even when the contested ball is there to be won, but she just stuffs up the basics over and over again.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bad miss by Houghton then. Did all the hard work and could’ve stopped the momentum.

Midfielders need to get busy. Stewart and K Antontio in particular.

Back