Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. (Thread part 1 - cont in part 2, link in thread)

Has the coronavirus outbreak made you reconsider attending the footy

• Yes

Votes: 285 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 350 55.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is precisely his point - a very high chance a player will test positive some time during the season even if it's shortened.

As soon as a player tests positive - well, as a contact sport there's zero chance the season will continue.

While the focus/discussion seems to be primarily on players contracting COVID-19, I've not seen any mention of the other essential staff also involved during game day at clubs.
Consider for every player (22) participating in a match you have (on average) three other staff involved (66), who include assistant coaches, runners, medical staff, stats people etc. and who are mostly in their 40's/50's or older - Dr Bruce Reid must be about 120yo this year surely...?

Accordingly I suggest if ANY of these people involved during a match contract COVID-19 then sadly that could also result in the end of the season...

Last edited:

The 1918 season was the season of Spanish Flu - an even deadlier pandemic than covid-19. But then they had the perspective of the great war. I look to what they went through and what challengers we face now andI can only say the AFL are a bunch of cowards. I dont get the choice of withdrawing from my work without severe financial penalty - why should AFL footballers?
Oh boy

I haven’t seen the players come out publicly and complain. Just that they aren’t thrilled with the prospect of losing income. Shock horror.
They should be grateful. With no tourists, and a shutdown of public interests Many people will lose their jobs

I don't know about rounds, but I reckon we'll at least have every team play each other at least once, even if it means we have multiple shortened games everyday (or almost) in the space of 3-5 months. In this day and age, the outrage would be huge if you were to further cut games, and the AFLPA probably won't be happy with further paycuts. Unless teams start withdrawing from the season, I still think we'll get around 150-160 games this year (also factoring the potential scrapping of finals in favor 1st vs 2nd grand final), even if they're significantly shortened and all played within a short period of time.
Good thing we trialled AFLX.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While the focus/discussion seems to be primarily on players contracting COVID-19, I've not seen any mention of the other essential staff also involved during game day at clubs.
Consider for every player (22) participating in a match you have (on average) three other staff involved (66), who include assistant coaches, runners, medical staff, stats people etc. and who are mostly in their 40's/50's or older - Dr Bruce Reid must be about 120yo this year surely...?

Accordingly I suggest if ANY of these people involved during a match do contract COVID-19, sadly that could also result in the end of the season...

I'm sure every person will be tested. They could possibly have it so that you must meet certain requirements to be eligible to participate on game day (probably everyone except coaches and players). So anyone over the age of 60 or history of poor/unstable immune system etc would probably automatically be ineligible.

That's ridiculous. Why even play R1 if everything gets postponed thereafter?

I'd prefer they look at a 17-week season, tentatively starting early May, subject to further review.
The idea is they need to get 17 games in before Christmas and they’re expecting a massive disruption in the middle so they’re trying the squeeze as many games in now as they can before a player tests positive.

If they wait til may to start and the outbreak lasts longer than expected, they don’t leave enough time on the back end to get the quota of games in.

That's ridiculous. Why even play R1 if everything gets postponed thereafter?

I'd prefer they look at a 17-week season, tentatively starting early May, subject to further review.

The AFL need to get games played when they can, if no players test positive before Rd 1 starts then it should go ahead and then the AFL can just take it round by round after that until a player tests positive and they have to postpone games.

If they delay the start until May there is more chance of players being infected and less chance of the season starting and getting a 17 game season completed.

The idea is they need to get 17 games in before Christmas and they’re expecting a massive disruption in the middle so they’re trying the squeeze as many games in now as they can before a player tests positive.

If they wait til may to start and the outbreak lasts longer than expected, they don’t leave enough time on the back end to get the quota of games in.
Pretty much this

the way it’s tracking I think aus will be in total lockdown for the month of June and maybe a bit more when s**t hits the fan and they need to slow it down

they will try squeeze games either side of the middle of the year

Before Christmas? How late can it run?

Is this season going to be Mickey Mouse and not legit? Whoever wins it, it seems likely people will say "yeah but that wasn't a real season".

Pretty much this

the way it’s tracking I think aus will be in total lockdown for the month of June and maybe a bit more when s**t hits the fan and they need to slow it down

they will try squeeze games either side of the middle of the year
The way it’s tracking we will be in lockdown within a fortnight.

The way it’s tracking we will be in lockdown within a fortnight.
I think we have at least a month before mandatory lockdown May/June is where I think it will be too high/peak and a need for mandatory lockdown to slow down the virus and buy time for the vaccine, assistance to hospitals etc

Cured. Now get on with clinical testing, quicksticks.

Existing drugs that are available now.

These Doctors/ Researchers are amazing they sound confident that these drugs are registered and tested on other epidemics previously , so we are on the right track thanks to these Doctors / Researchers .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back