Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. (Thread part 1 - cont in part 2, link in thread)

Has the coronavirus outbreak made you reconsider attending the footy

• Yes

Votes: 285 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 350 55.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before Christmas? How late can it run?

Is this season going to be Mickey Mouse and not legit? Whoever wins it, it seems likely people will say "yeah but that wasn't a real season".

The 2020 Grand Final will probably be played in 2021. :drunk:

The nation is talking about locking down essential services like schools and transport, and Australian sporting codes think they alone are so essential they must go ahead. Truly bizarre and indicative of why we are going to be in for more pain. Sheer hubris.
Yeah but we just got Tim Kelly and JK has had a massive pre-season.

I can't process the rest of it.

Yeah but we just got Tim Kelly and JK has had a massive pre-season.

I can't process the rest of it.
I feel you. Losing a season when you’re a premiership fancy and a few key players are getting close to retirement is a kick in the pants. But I’m also a realist, this season ain’t happening and trying to sneak some games in for advertising dollars or insurance reasons is symptomatic of why the nation’s handling of this has been so poor. Money before all else.

They managed to run the Womens T20 WC without needing Adelaide Oval
A lot bigger crowds for men’s and beside that cricket “owns” the oval at that time of year so the AFL would have to pay a significant sum to even get a look in

Is this season going to be Mickey Mouse and not legit? Whoever wins it, it seems likely people will say "yeah but that wasn't a real season".
Maybe so, but they’re being very proactive in trying to avoid laying people off and sustaining incredible financial damage and that should really be applauded instead of being met with condemnation which is what most of this thread has consisted of.

For the record I think we’ll be unlikely to see round 2 next week.

Cured. Now get on with clinical testing, quicksticks.

Existing drugs that are available now.

Positive, but even in the best case scenario, it would take a while to get it out to the masses. Could potentially be too expensive for a lot of people to afford (especially if uninsured) or hard to get.

Maybe so, but they’re being very proactive in trying to avoid laying people off and sustaining incredible financial damage and that should really be applauded instead of being met with condemnation which is what most of this thread has consisted of.

For the record I think we’ll be unlikely to see round 2 next week.
I will be surprised if we get to Round 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that it's a bad look generally to be staging the AFL during a public health crisis (even behind closed doors); but my perspective would be this - there's apparently a test out there which returns results in like ~12 hours (this is Dutton getting tested). Dunno what the broadcast deal revenue is on a per game basis; but given it was like ~$2.5b over 6 years suggests a million per game is pretty conservative, so maybe testing before every game is the way to go.

If you had a company where they could COVID-19 test ~150 employees and this would allow them to show up to work and generate $1m in revenue in a day then I'm pretty damn sure any business would jump at the chance.

The Queensland researchers have shot up to nearly 250k raised after being 30k earlier today, I reckon they will reach the 750k before end of this week and get the trial started. It’s nice to finally have some hope of stopping this!

They better raise that money quick before Trump swoops in and tries to buy that cure for the US.

Or it could be the first of many truly fair seasons (well, since back then there were only 12 teams). If games aren't shortened, no player contracts the virus, and the only real change is the number of games, and everyone is happy with 17 games going forward, it could be a great thing for future seasons. Probably won't be, but it could be.

Or it could be the first of many truly fair seasons (well, since back then there were only 12 teams). If games aren't shortened, no player contracts the virus, and the only real change is the number of games, and everyone is happy with 17 games going forward, it could be a great thing for future seasons. Probably won't be, but it could be.
I'm fine with 17 games plus finals. That's fine. But what are the odds we get that with any continuity. Diminishing by the day, surely.

I'm sure every person will be tested. They could possibly have it so that you must meet certain requirements to be eligible to participate on game day (probably everyone except coaches and players). So anyone over the age of 60 or history of poor/unstable immune system etc would probably automatically be ineligible.

Agree, but despite the most rigorous testing regimes and other measures that are/will be in place, I still think it's unrealistic to expect a person/s from any of the football departments across the country will somehow NOT contract COVID-19 over the next 7 months...?

Aside from the players and coaches this could easily just be old Joe, the club gear steward or young Billy the 1st year stats guru kiddie...

I, like all punters selfishly want to see any live footy; with/without crowds or a reduced season or reduced game times etc. I really don't care - but I suspect even if round one does takes place this week, we are not going to see a whole lot more...

Last edited:
I'm fine with 17 games plus finals. That's fine. But what are the odds we get that with any continuity. Diminishing by the day, surely.
Well even if it's all inconsistent format, I think at the end of the day, if all parties don't mind the pay cut it could work moving forward once this passes. Of course it's probably more unlikely than likely, but if we end up getting all 17 games per round plus finals by the end of the year, I think it's a possibility.

The way it’s tracking we will be in lockdown within a fortnight.

Good to see there's at least one realist on this thread. I'd say the range is 1 - 3 weeks depending on how piss weak the govt is.

Scary thing is that we are short of test kits and/or reagents, so the numbers of infections you read each day are incorrect. They are also two days old (takes two days for results to come through usually).

My best guess at this stage is that there is widespread community spread here and the true number of actual infections is 10 - 100 times the figure you read today.

The ND will be a lottery with no U18 form to go by
Skip the draft for the year they have been talking about upping the age to 19 anyway so it’s the perfect time to do it

The ND will be a lottery with no U18 form to go by

Incorrect. Draft scouts have been watching these kids since they were 13-14 at the latest. It is why players that have injuries in their draft year are relatively unharmed in draft position.

Incorrect. Draft scouts have been watching these kids since they were 13-14 at the latest. It is why players that have injuries in their draft year are relatively unharmed in draft position.

I do agree with the most part of this but the draft order does change substantially during the course of the draft year.

Youre assertion about players with long term injuries is true. Generally if they are a "top player" they generally will go fairly high all things considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back