Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

BE309C93-5B0F-4A73-AEC3-F875C65C3E6B.jpeg

Could be a good strategy by Collingwood. Claim their Captain “may” have Coronavirus to avoid playing Friday with a few players underdone.

Also said the league will be forced to suspend play across the competition if a player tests positive. With 800 odd players across the league, this is not going to be easy to manage.

Hope we get to see a few games at least.

Was hoping we could have a knock out competition - last club standing who doesn't have (or hasn't played) someone with the virus, lol!

Also said the league will be forced to suspend play across the competition if a player tests positive. With 800 odd players across the league, this is not going to be easy to manage.

Hope we get to see a few games at least.
I saw that.
Might as well call it all off now if that's the policy. The odds against at least one listed player testing positive are very small.

Just play AFLX rules - everyone seemed to maintain at least a1.5 metre buffer during that! Seriously, all this half arsed stuff with everything is ridiculous. If social isolation slows it down, and the SE Asians have shown it seems to, then just cancel everything and get on with it - we’ll likely go down that path anyway, just go now and get ahead of it.

I know this is a world wide problem and I do not want make light of it. However do we need to follow other sport codes around the world like sheep. Ok, if a player tests positive before Thursday the commencement of the round is postponed. I also get that the players as a majority have the right to vote to pull the pin. However, if this does not happen what are the problems of starting this week really going to cause. No more risk than the rest of us still going to work, supermarkets and other shops and travelling on public transport. Then after we do this find out we have the virus.

These journalist and Gerard Whateley is the worst who are carrying on how irresponsible to play round 1 just to be shock jocks ease up. I do not get it. I say get over it with all the doom and gloom at the moment a little bit of release, a bit of yelling at the TV and the joy of win ( for 9 team supporters) is good for the soul and very uplifting. The same shock jocks on Monday will be saying it is great to have footy back.

So, say this 17 game season goes ahead (it wont), boy oh boy wont the team that wins cop the mother of all asterisks?

I hope it is us just to enjoy the tears.

One of my mates suggested giving the players COVID-19 and isolating them for a month then playing the season. That of course would require they cant get it again (can they?). I'd be happy with any method at this stage....

Got this year ******* year sucks big fat monkey balls.

We need the Doggies to come out firing on all cylinders this week and to play their very best for as long as this season lasts. That will make it much easier to survive the rest of the year on replays. Somebody needs to develop software that will automatically change the opponents jumpers on the replay video to whichever team we were scheduled to play next.

On the flip side though perhaps we want the Doggies to be complete rubbish so we can be relieved and happy when the season is cancelled.

One of my mates suggested giving the players COVID-19 and isolating them for a month then playing the season. That of course would require they cant get it again (can they?). I'd be happy with any method at this stage....
At least stick them on a cruise ship so they can really make the most of their month away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we'll get to a max of 4 rounds (probably only 2) until it turns into a shambles and is abandoned.

Feel sorry for the players who have to fly around the country, exposed to this.

Are you going to be happy if the Bont gets it and it buggers his lungs? Yes, most young people survive, but not necessarily without consequences.

Last edited:
Like what I'm reading about the University of Queensland's work on a cure. Combing a HIV drug and a malaria drug seems to be working very well on actual patients.

Widespread trials to begin as soon as funding secured. If you're interested in contributing: https://coronavirusactionfund.blackbaud-sites.com/

So, say this 17 game season goes ahead (it wont), boy oh boy wont the team that wins cop the mother of all asterisks?

I hope it is us just to enjoy the tears.

Got this year ******* year sucks big fat monkey balls.

This made me laugh out loud. I'm just imagining the players being strapped down while Gill gives them an injection. RIP the 20 or so players who die from it too.

Like what I'm reading about the University of Queensland's work on a cure. Combing a HIV drug and a malaria drug seems to be working very well on actual patients.

Widespread trials to begin as soon as funding secured. If you're interested in contributing: https://coronavirusactionfund.blackbaud-sites.com/

This has been suggested by some other researchers too.

Use of the HIV drug is interesting - given this a probably a man made bio weapon with fragments of HIV in it, it makes sense.

First team to win from 7th

First team to win a 17 game season with the odd medical casualty along the way?

This has been suggested by some other researchers too.

Use of the HIV drug is interesting - given this a probably a man made bio weapon with fragments of HIV in it, it makes sense.
Unless you are looking for a s**t show, I'd keep the conspiracy stuff to the conspiracy board. Probably not what we need or want here.

Now they are only testing the cases they need to so how on earth can the figures being bandied about be even close to the truth ??

As I said a week ago if you only test the people with a high chance of having the virus your figures are not accurate in anyway

The cruise ship that was isolated with three thousand odd people on board acted as a human experiment. 700 odd got sick and less than 1% died. the mortality rate is projecting out at around 0.85%
I'd rather go off a larger sample size. Not sure if it was the same ship that I read about but in that situation measures were taken on board to limit the spread (ie isolation to personal rooms). That is what a lot of people are arguing for in our normal lives, yet we still have the majority of people moving around as normal. I think if we manage to limit it to a 1% mortality rate with limited impact to health service requirements for day to day events (car crashes, cancer, etc) then we've done very well!

Just play AFLX rules - everyone seemed to maintain at least a1.5 metre buffer during that! Seriously, all this half arsed stuff with everything is ridiculous. If social isolation slows it down, and the SE Asians have shown it seems to, then just cancel everything and get on with it - we’ll likely go down that path anyway, just go now and get ahead of it.
Agreed. I think the dilly-dallying from government and a lot of businesses is weak leadership. All delaying does is increase risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back