Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. (Thread part 1 - cont in part 2, link in thread)

Has the coronavirus outbreak made you reconsider attending the footy

• Yes

Votes: 285 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 350 55.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the Government's reasoning that school's should remain open, flawed. The Government believes that if school's are closed all parents will need to stay home to look after them and work places will suffer and therefore the economy. The problem with this reasoning is that you are creating perfect breeding grounds for the virus to spread to the rest of the community very quickly. Kids and young adults don't show the same severity of symptoms adults do so can have the virus and spread the virus without their parents being aware for weeks.

In a school setting, where kids are all jammed in. Where kids have poor hygiene and are very touchie feelie with each other. Where one kid who has the virus could effectively spread it to their whole class and all their friends in minutes. Where each child would then go home and pass it on to all their family who would then pass it on to all their work colleagues and friends.The virus could/would effect tens of thousands of people before anyone even shows any symptoms all generated from the same child and then school community.

When you're passing laws to stop gatherings of over 100 people yet ignore the fact that schools often contain 100's and 1000's of kids, is just ludicrous.

Protecting jobs should never come before protecting lives.
agreed.
our union over here is getting on board now and demanding some answers;

COVID-19 Update

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]The State School Teachers Union of Western Australia has called for the release of detailed medical advice behind the decision to keep schools and TAFEs open for the time-being.

The SSTUWA has asked the State’s Chief Medical Officer and Minister for Education to write to educators explaining the reasoning behind keeping schools and TAFEs open.

Educators deserve the respect of a public explanation as to why schools and TAFEs should stay open and what will be done to ensure the safety of students and staff alike.

The conflicting medical opinions being expressed in various media are adding to the anxiety felt by many teachers and principals. Specific health and safety advice is essential.

Our members need proper information and reassurances at this time. Open and honest communication is crucial.

An explanation as requested by the SSTUWA is urgently required.
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]

You don't think that Sydney and Lombardy share any similarities?

I'm not saying that if a bunch of people get it in Sydney I'm immediately going to the next day in Perth, but once the virus has a number of cases it spreads rapidly. No province south of Naples has more than 100 cases while a handful of provinces in the north all have 1,000+.

Honestly no I don’t. The best thing about Australia are our borders surrounded by water. It’s easier to control to a degree. That’s not saying there won’t be fatalities but I’m confident it won’t be as bad. Plus we’d have a good idea what to do after observing what others have done in other countries

You don't think that Sydney and Lombardy share any similarities?

I'm not saying that if a bunch of people get it in Sydney I'm immediately going to the next day in Perth, but once the virus has a number of cases it spreads rapidly. No province south of Naples has more than 100 cases while a handful of provinces in the north all have 1,000+.

It’s like SARS-1 isn’t it?

Builds in clusters and hammers localised areas with high concentration of cases in a short period of time?

Perhaps that’s the strategy. Have strict isolation requirements (without blowing up the economy) and aggressively contain outbreaks as they occur so they don’t get out of hand (either by suburb, grid or city?)

If this is a 6-12 month exercise that would make a lot of sense.

The the governments could probably work with the high-tech community to effectively track clusters of cases as symptoms appear (I know you can be contagious before symptoms appear but the knowledge of the virus is evolving all the time)

Kevin Durant and 3 other Nets players have got the virus so that’s 7 NBA players now that have contracted it. Durant was showing none of the symptoms and felt fine.
An unnamed Ottawa Senators NHL player has also tested positive and there is some thought that he caught it from the Staples Centre locker room as the Senators used the same locker room the day after the Nets used it.

As silly as it is, if there is some kind of shut-down of business, having AFL games on most weeknights will give people some semblance of normality to hang on it. Might be a saviour for portions of the community that need that security.

Having AFL games to watch on tv would also encourage more people to stay home and isolate themselves as well as provide a much needed morale boost.

So much bad news around at the moment, if the footy gets canned it will just be another kick in the guts.

The NRL can’t manage money but at least they inform their fans and give a strong and consistent message of their plan... Gil legitimately takes the piss out of the leagues most important stake holders, the bloody supporters.

Agree with your comments. There are many 'expert' opinions but my point was that the Govt officials seem to saying one thing about procedures to manage the situation and expecting teachers to be exempt from this. A family friend is the head of emergency medicine at a major city hospital and he advised us to not send kids to school.

Yeah. My read is that the Govt is trying to slow the spread of infections while simultaneously keeping the economy going as much as possible. Keeping kids at school keeps the parents at work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if anyone thought much about this so far but with the VFA, NEAFL, SANFL amd WAFL off with the assumption the AFL plays on, then there is over 20 players each week unable to play anything. That is a real dilemma for players development at each club, especially for second year players and draftees.
If they AFL reduce quarters by 5 minutes it probably will help to allow more draftees to play games this season, that normally would play almost all seasons in secondary leagues getting used to the step up from teenage footy that did not play full length quarters.

So if we do play on, expect clubs to navigate this season with an eye to playing youngsters ahead of their time, in the name of the players development. Clubs cannot afford to have 10 or so players having no development on their list for season. So always playing full strength sides is probably not going to be the case for most clubs this season. Supporters need to understand this for their own club , if, as I assume, the season does get underway.

Having AFL games to watch on tv would also encourage more people to stay home and isolate themselves as well as provide a much needed morale boost.

So much bad news around at the moment, if the footy gets canned as well it will be another kick in the guts.

I can watch run throughs of our premierships, that will wipe out a week... You might struggle to get past your morning coffee 🤷‍♂️

Yeah. My read is that the Govt is trying to slow the spread of infections while simultaneously keeping the economy going as much as possible. Keeping kids at school keeps the parents at work.

The spike in cases whilst significant, is less than anticipated and keeps us below that curve with what our health system can handle hence the reason no lock down.. We are doing ok

So much bad news around at the moment, if the footy gets canned it will just be another kick in the guts.

A percentage of the people demanding AFL shutdown are just doing it to be dicks. They have no conception of how much good it can actually do for the morale of the community. Which is you know, kinda still important...

You are on fire, talking sense, WTF? I am not used to this Plugger.

A top league club in Europe wont go bust from not playing 6 games. Footy clubs in Australia definitely will. The clubs in Europe can easily support the clubs from lower leagues, and will be forced to by their local commisions. They have FIFA to help them if need be too.AFL has no such safeguards. Completley different situation.

This isn't true at all. And most clubs still have a fair few games to go (plus European fixtures/playoffs for promotion and relegation which are huge). There is a serious disconnect between how much money people think soccer clubs make and how much money they actually have. Same goes for the FA's and it's been reported numerous times FIFA and UEFA aren't going to do much for the leagues (UEFA are trying to get the clubs to pay short of 300 million Euros for postponing the Euros). Several people involved with English lower league clubs have also said numerous times that the EPL nor the clubs will help the lower leagues out.

Just play. We need some footy right now. I know that sounds stupid but it's true.

Have a game every night, take the precautions, isolate if any catch it.

Just play.

Yes. Just do it AFL.
People need a distraction and some normality.
I'm a fairly level headed bloke in my 40s but I'll admit this is all starting to freak me out.

To that bloke in Wuhan who licked the panda, and started all this - * you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back